RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
It was suggested in another thread that it might be good to have a thread about diversifying the sources people use for their fantasy cultures.

The idea isn't to argue about the need for such diversity but to offer suggestions of rich sources that writers might draw upon.

I'll start by suggesting the history, cultures, mythology and religion of India. I'm not going to try to cover everything just the highlights that might be intriguing for Fantasy stories.

Caveat: Living culture, living religion. No disrespect intended.

I could fill this post with links but frankly everything here is easy to search.

History:At least four thousand years of written history with internal warfare,invasion, complex cultural changes. Multiple stretches of culture clash. Phenomenal innovation, oppression, revolution (including the most successful use of non-violence ever), etc.

Culture: Incredibly complex and diverse. Just the relationship between individual, family, job, caste, Dharma, and Karma. Make for highly sophisticated character backgrounds and in depth interactions. Toss in past life interactions and you can go as deep as you can imagine.

Geography, climate, art, cooking, architecture etc: A ton of details that are completely unlike their European counterparts allowing for writings that will have a grest difference in look and feel from European sourced stories.

Religion: Hinduism is on its own one of the most diverse religions ever. With a polytheistic form and a monotheistic essence. Note: there's no way to summarize this easily, so I'm not going to try. The religion is more than 4000 years old and has been through a lot of thought and practice in that time. There's a lot to draw upon. Not to mention that India has generated other religions including Buddhism and Jainism which are worth a look at (he said mildly).

Mythology: Chock full of it. Including a fantastically complex cosmology. Gods and sages of phenomenal power and depth. And a whole lot of sacred practices and understanding. Oh, and two of the greatest epics ever written The Ramayana and the longest epic ever The Mahabharata. These contain seriously bad-backside and spiritually sophisticated heroes and villains.

Cool magic: Really dangerous magical sages living in isolation growing more powerful as they contemplate the illusary nature of things, and gaining ability through strenuous physical and mental practice. Rituals and magical secrets gleaned from divine sources. Many kinds of spirits and demons etc. And my personal favorite concept: The Asthra (which I gather technically means weapon). But in mythic usage an Asthra is a divine/magical effect put into an arrow. So, for example, rather than a flaming arrow, one shoots an arrow carrying the fire god Agni, or the sun god Surya. Presumably,this is adaptable to Urban Fantasy with bullets.

Which brings up the idea of modern India as a setting for urban fantasy. Very dense cities, complex social conditions and all the above as background.

Other source and background ideas?

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Good post.

I'd also say that The Ramayana is a great example of something that would be sneered at as "anime crap" by some fantasy readers, too. Which is really sad, isn't it? It's such an awesome story.

All cultures have awesome ideas, but the problem is that some simply haven't been made as accessible to say, people who only read English. For example, in history class, I read an account from a Spanish conquistador/explorer type who claimed that one of the groups he met had a legend about a super-strong creature that looked like a man and came around demanding internal organs from people. That's kinda cool. But not something that's easy to find out about, assuming it was a real legend and not something the writer made up to make the Americans sound more exotic.

FalconMage

Rob J. Vargas
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
The take on Hindu mythology by Roger Zelazny in Lord of Light was AWESOME.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
I'm going to be pretty general here and write what I know. If anyone is super interested in this, shoot me a PM and I'll try to harass my old African lit prof for more sources.

Setting: Malinese Empire, West Africa (medieval) - extending over present day Mali, parts of Nigeria, Senegal, and others.

Caveat:You have to be sensitive about colonial history (France, FYI), and be careful about being respectful, especially about magic, because I think it's still alive there.

History/Politics: Lots of warring empires (e.g. Kingdom of Ghana, Morocco, etc.) and hostile takeovers; typically kings were not absolute rulers, but rather leaders of a loose confederation of city-states; most well-known kings are Sundiata, best described as a liberator king, and Mansa Musa, proponent of universities and culture. He converted to Islam (he's not dissimilar from Constantine in some ways). Mali was one of the preeminent intellectual and financial capitals of West Africa during the medieval era.

Economy: Mali was a trade capital and very wealthy, with lots of gold mines; forms of currency/sources of trade were gold, salt, and copper. Salt was possibly even more valuable than gold. There's a lot more going on here economically than in Europe at the same time.

Warfare: Not too distant from the European middle ages. Cavalry typically carried swords (obtained by trade); infantry used spears and bows and arrows (with poison tips, IIRC). The three primary city states warred against each other quite a bit, but united if threatened by another kingdom.

Geography, climate, art, cooking, architecture etc: Sandy desert in the east; Mediterranean-type climate and fauna in the west (modern day Senegal), with some lush areas. Don't know about the west, but the eastern portion has super cool architecture, unlike anything European. Food - primarily meat, garden vegetables, and rice (unsure if rice was a stable in medieval era). Mali is known for its singing (their singers were called "griots"), and much history and folklore was passed down by oral tradition. Some of it has been transcribed recently by scholars. Hunting is a big part of the culture.

Religion: Everyone tended to be rather laissez-faire. Islam grew in the later Middle Ages, but wasn't required of the populace. In the early-to-middle period, the Traditional African Religion predominated; it was polytheistic, with a creator god and several secondary deities such as Esu, the trickster god, as well as ancestor worship. Lots of stuff to mine here.

Cool magic: There's lots of it. I can't begin to summarize it in a post, but it relates to hunting, weather, and all sorts of things.

Where to start: Sundiata: An Epic of Old Mali. It's a fun, short read; not dry at all. Also, the ouvre of Chinua Achebe; he's Yoruban, not Malinese, but they're pretty close (they're neighbors).

Last edited:

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have anything intelligent to add - I just wanted to be in this thread. :p

Sundiata: An Epic of Old Mali is definitely going on my birthday list. It looks very readable, which is helpful, since I am both interested in and woefully ignorant about West African history and culture.

I have a country in my WIP that vaguely resembles many parts of both Greek and Japanese culture. I'm sharp enough with my Greek, but aside from a few historical animes I don't know much about medieval Japanese culture. Can anyone make a recommendation?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
People tend to forget that Islam was a major force in the Dune novels, it being a "secret" religion that went into hiding in a way when the Bene Gesserit and the Orange Catholics began dominating religious views in the galaxy.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Richard mentioned Jainism as being worth looking at. I would second that! I went to India last year, and even the little bit that our tour guide told us about Jainism was jaw-droppingly interesting.

Note what I say next is just my best recollection of what the tour guide told us. Anyone who spots an error in what I say below, please feel free to correct me.

You could call the Jains extremists, but luckily what they're extreme about is non-violence. They don't eat meat, they don't till the soil for fear of killing worms, and they even avoid certain kinds of vegetables for fear of accidentally eating/killing a bug. They carry brooms with themselves to sweep off surfaces before sitting (also to protect bugs) and often wear face masks to keep from inhaling an insect.

The very elderly, when they've decided they can do no more of use in the world and are becoming a burden to their families, sometimes make a vow to stop eating in order to speed their death. They are treated with great reverence by the community while they die. (Note the government of India has made this practice illegal and is trying to deter people from doing this.)

The Jains revere fire and won't have bodies cremated with fire (which is the norm in India.) Instead, the body is put atop a high platform and left for carrion birds to eat. However, pesticide use has caused a crash in India's vulture population, and the smell from these body disposal practices was becoming a nuisance, so electrical cremations are becoming more popular.

As a group, the Jains are very wealthy because they're heavily into goldsmithing (since it's a career that doesn't put the practitioner at risk of accidentally killing any living thing.) They also believe that one should not hang onto wealth, so there are many hospitals, temples, etc., built by wealthy Jains who are trying to find a use for the surplus wealth that they and their families don't need.

And their holy men sometimes spend years living without belongings, including clothing, and surviving off the charity of others. Yes, that means they walk around naked.

Seriously, Jainism is just fascinating! A writer could find a lot to work with by studying their culture.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I don't have anything intelligent to add - I just wanted to be in this thread. :p

Sundiata: An Epic of Old Mali is definitely going on my birthday list. It looks very readable, which is helpful, since I am both interested in and woefully ignorant about West African history and culture.

I have a country in my WIP that vaguely resembles many parts of both Greek and Japanese culture. I'm sharp enough with my Greek, but aside from a few historical animes I don't know much about medieval Japanese culture. Can anyone make a recommendation?

How medieval? There's some marvelous surviving Japanese literature. Probably the earliest is the Kojiki ("Record of Ancient Things") which dates to the 8th century and is a record of even older songs, myths, histories, and anecdotes.

Then there are old memoirs and novels. There's The Tale of Genji (11th century), of course, but Genji is the worst kind of Mary Sue, and I despise him for his life of creepy seductions (including unrequited love for his own stepmother, and seducing defenseless common women and his own adopted daughter) while everyone around him declares how wonderful he is. Yuck.

I'm fond of The Pillow Book of Sei Shōnagon, an eleventh century lady's musings on court life.

There's also The Gossamer Years: The Diary of a Noblewoman in Heian Japan (10th century), in which an anonymous noblewoman complains about the patriarchal hierarchy.

The Confessions of Lady Nijō was a memoir written right at the end of the 13th century, also good.

Miyamoto Musashi wrote the classic Book of Five Rings in 1645. It's a guide on how to fight without being consumed.

Matsuo Bashō wrote The Narrow Road to the Deep North in 1689. It's a journey filled with now-legendary haikus.

Don't neglect art books as a source of information. There is at least one fantastic guide to the great temple of Tōdai-Ji and its treasury of Buddhist art: The Great Eastern Temple: Treasures of Japanese Buddhist Art from Todai-Ji, by Yutaka Mino. The temple is 8th century but was rebuilt after a fire in 1709. The treasures date from the 8th through the 18th centuries.

Morihiro Ogawa wrote the catalogue to an art exhibit of samurai arms and armor at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York: (Art of the Samurai: Japanese Arms and Armor, 1156-1868). There surely are other good picture books of samurai equipment out there as well.

Finally, there are modern books about folklore, which may or may not date back to the middle ages, but are interesting nonetheless. David Galef translated 100 common Japanese proverbs in Even Monkeys Fall From Trees. Steven Addiss wrote a terrific art book, Japanese Ghosts and Demons: Art of the Supernatural. Charlotte Anderson and Gorazd Vilhar wrote Matsuri, a lavish photography book about the traditional festivals of Japan. Sadao Hibi wrote Pastimes (Japanese Tradition in Color and Form), an exploration of traditional Japanese games and activities illustrated with old artworks.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
How medieval? There's some marvelous surviving Japanese literature. Probably the earliest is the Kojiki ("Record of Ancient Things") which dates to the 8th century and is a record of even older songs, myths, histories, and anecdotes.

Then there are old memoirs and novels. There's The Tale of Genji (11th century), of course, but Genji is the worst kind of Mary Sue, and I despise him for his life of creepy seductions (including unrequited love for his own stepmother, and seducing defenseless common women and his own adopted daughter) while everyone around him declares how wonderful he is. Yuck.

I'm fond of The Pillow Book of Sei Shōnagon, an eleventh century lady's musings on court life.

There's also The Gossamer Years: The Diary of a Noblewoman in Heian Japan (10th century), in which an anonymous noblewoman complains about the patriarchal hierarchy.

The Confessions of Lady Nijō was a memoir written right at the end of the 13th century, also good.

Miyamoto Musashi wrote the classic Book of Five Rings in 1645. It's a guide on how to fight without being consumed.

Matsuo Bashō wrote The Narrow Road to the Deep North in 1689. It's a journey filled with now-legendary haikus.

Don't neglect art books as a source of information. There is at least one fantastic guide to the great temple of Tōdai-Ji and its treasury of Buddhist art: The Great Eastern Temple: Treasures of Japanese Buddhist Art from Todai-Ji, by Yutaka Mino. The temple is 8th century but was rebuilt after a fire in 1709. The treasures date from the 8th through the 18th centuries.

Morihiro Ogawa wrote the catalogue to an art exhibit of samurai arms and armor at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York: (Art of the Samurai: Japanese Arms and Armor, 1156-1868). There surely are other good picture books of samurai equipment out there as well.

Finally, there are modern books about folklore, which may or may not date back to the middle ages, but are interesting nonetheless. David Galef translated 100 common Japanese proverbs in Even Monkeys Fall From Trees. Steven Addiss wrote a terrific art book, Japanese Ghosts and Demons: Art of the Supernatural. Charlotte Anderson and Gorazd Vilhar wrote Matsuri, a lavish photography book about the traditional festivals of Japan. Sadao Hibi wrote Pastimes (Japanese Tradition in Color and Form), an exploration of traditional Japanese games and activities illustrated with old artworks.

Excellent! Thank you so much. :D

I picked up The Book of Five Rings for .99c. Really looking forward to this one since it's rather pertinent to my MMC's inner conflict. Or one of them, anyway...

I also ordered The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon - looks like a fascinating read, and right up my alley - and Matsuri. I have to wait for those via snail mail. :)

FalconMage

Rob J. Vargas
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score

Maybe start with some of the texts over at Project Gutenberg?

<LINK>

MDSchafer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
firstfolio.blogspot.com
Over the past couple of years I've taken a couple of stabs at writing a modern fantasy story set in Nairobi. The problem I've found is writing a book that's outside your native culture is the sheer amount of research and immersion you have to do in order to get it right.

I've seen so many one dimensional representations of cultures that the problem I've been having is trying to do too much. When you're dealing with an entirely alien setting to your reader you want to do that world justice. When you're writing a "Diverse" story there are so many things you have to balance, the native language, traditions, settings and perhaps most importantly mindset. I've spent enough time in Africa to know that the African mindset and the American mindset are radically different, but I'm unsure how to represent that on the page. If I get it right, it will work and give my readers a perspective they won't find elsewhere, if I get it wrong it will seem like a white American writing about Africa. I've seen the later book, and it's an embarrassment for everyone involved

FalconMage

Rob J. Vargas
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
MDSchafer: It doesn't have to be an embarrassment. Shift the POV a bit, and it becomes a native telling the white man, and there's a bit of opportunity to explore this without having to assume a mindset that you may not feel you're pulling off.

Just for one example.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Over the past couple of years I've taken a couple of stabs at writing a modern fantasy story set in Nairobi. The problem I've found is writing a book that's outside your native culture is the sheer amount of research and immersion you have to do in order to get it right.

I've seen so many one dimensional representations of cultures that the problem I've been having is trying to do too much. When you're dealing with an entirely alien setting to your reader you want to do that world justice. When you're writing a "Diverse" story there are so many things you have to balance, the native language, traditions, settings and perhaps most importantly mindset. I've spent enough time in Africa to know that the African mindset and the American mindset are radically different, but I'm unsure how to represent that on the page. If I get it right, it will work and give my readers a perspective they won't find elsewhere, if I get it wrong it will seem like a white American writing about Africa. I've seen the later book, and it's an embarrassment for everyone involved

One point before offering a couple of suggestions. I'm a little confused by the idea that there's a single African mindset.

Suggestions.
1. Take common situations that your readers automatically know how they would react but where the culture you are depicting reacts differently and show those situations with more detail.

2. There's never enough research. But at some point you have to stop and write.

One of the people who did these things best was the mystery writer Tony Hillerman, whose detective novels set on the Navajo reservation give an excellent view of the cultures while being good mysteries as well. He's well worth, stealing, cough, learning from.

MDSchafer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
firstfolio.blogspot.com
There isn't a single African mindset, and I wasn't implying there is a single African mindset any more than I was implying there was a single American mindset, but the miscommunication sort of illustrates the tight rope you have walk when you're working with a situation people are sensitive about.

What I mean is that how a 12 year old American boy sees the world is radically different than how a 12 year old Kenyan orphan sees the world. Yes, that's generalizing a bit, but it's true, and its one of those things that unless you've been there you don't really understand. I can't speak to how a 12-year-old boy living comfortably in Nairobi feels and I can't write that book, but running an orphanage in rural Kenya I have a bit of insight into who those children are.

I've largely put off working on the novel until my extended trip to Kenya. In 2013 or 2015 I'm going to spend six to eight months there and I'd hate to publish something now that will just come off as naive to me in a few years. Also my Kiswahili will be much, much better.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
There isn't a single African mindset, and I wasn't implying there is a single African mindset any more than I was implying there was a single American mindset, but the miscommunication sort of illustrates the tight rope you have walk when you're working with a situation people are sensitive about.

What I mean is that how a 12 year old American boy sees the world is radically different than how a 12 year old Kenyan orphan sees the world. Yes, that's generalizing a bit, but it's true, and its one of those things that unless you've been there you don't really understand. I can't speak to how a 12-year-old boy living comfortably in Nairobi feels and I can't write that book, but running an orphanage in rural Kenya I have a bit of insight into who those children are.

I've largely put off working on the novel until my extended trip to Kenya. In 2013 or 2015 I'm going to spend six to eight months there and I'd hate to publish something now that will just come off as naive to me in a few years. Also my Kiswahili will be much, much better.

I'm relieved to hear your views on mindsets. My concern was actually caused by your use of the definite article in your first post (the African mindsset and the American mindset). A great deal of miscommunication can be out down to the word 'The'

Anyway, if you're going to spend that much time immersed in culture, language, and place, I think you're right to delay writing.

Deleted member 42

Maybe start with some of the texts over at Project Gutenberg?

<LINK>

Meh.

I'd be cautious; those are largely Victorian inspired; they're bowdlerized and less than accurate translations. They're also oddly warped in some cases.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
Meh.

I'd be cautious; those are largely Victorian inspired; they're bowdlerized and less than accurate translations. They're also oddly warped in some cases.

Thanks for the heads up! Perhaps I can do a little digging and give myself a "compare and contrast" assignment. I used to love those in high school. :p

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
It was suggested in another thread that it might be good to have a thread about diversifying the sources people use for their fantasy cultures.

The idea isn't to argue about the need for such diversity but to offer suggestions of rich sources that writers might draw upon.

I'll start by suggesting the history, cultures, mythology and religion of India. I'm not going to try to cover everything just the highlights that might be intriguing for Fantasy stories.

Caveat: Living culture, living religion. No disrespect intended.

I could fill this post with links but frankly everything here is easy to search.

History:At least four thousand years of written history with internal warfare,invasion, complex cultural changes. Multiple stretches of culture clash. Phenomenal innovation, oppression, revolution (including the most successful use of non-violence ever), etc.

Culture: Incredibly complex and diverse. Just the relationship between individual, family, job, caste, Dharma, and Karma. Make for highly sophisticated character backgrounds and in depth interactions. Toss in past life interactions and you can go as deep as you can imagine.

Geography, climate, art, cooking, architecture etc: A ton of details that are completely unlike their European counterparts allowing for writings that will have a grest difference in look and feel from European sourced stories.

Religion: Hinduism is on its own one of the most diverse religions ever. With a polytheistic form and a monotheistic essence. Note: there's no way to summarize this easily, so I'm not going to try. The religion is more than 4000 years old and has been through a lot of thought and practice in that time. There's a lot to draw upon. Not to mention that India has generated other religions including Buddhism and Jainism which are worth a look at (he said mildly).

Mythology: Chock full of it. Including a fantastically complex cosmology. Gods and sages of phenomenal power and depth. And a whole lot of sacred practices and understanding. Oh, and two of the greatest epics ever written The Ramayana and the longest epic ever The Mahabharata. These contain seriously bad-backside and spiritually sophisticated heroes and villains.

Cool magic: Really dangerous magical sages living in isolation growing more powerful as they contemplate the illusary nature of things, and gaining ability through strenuous physical and mental practice. Rituals and magical secrets gleaned from divine sources. Many kinds of spirits and demons etc. And my personal favorite concept: The Asthra (which I gather technically means weapon). But in mythic usage an Asthra is a divine/magical effect put into an arrow. So, for example, rather than a flaming arrow, one shoots an arrow carrying the fire god Agni, or the sun god Surya. Presumably,this is adaptable to Urban Fantasy with bullets.

Which brings up the idea of modern India as a setting for urban fantasy. Very dense cities, complex social conditions and all the above as background.

Other source and background ideas?

My series is based on Buddhism with the ancient language a direct translation of Pali, a long-dead language with origins in Sanskrit.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
My series is based on Buddhism with the ancient language a direct translation of Pali, a long-dead language with origins in Sanskrit.

Cool.
Would you be wiling to suggest some sources and talk a bit about the particular form of Buddhism, and the culture you drew on?

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Cool.
Would you be wiling to suggest some sources and talk a bit about the particular form of Buddhism, and the culture you drew on?

Well, I'd be glad to, though I think most would find it boring. The particular tradition of Buddhism is Theravada, which claims -- rightfully so, I believe -- to be the closest to the great master's true teachings. But my series titled The Death Wizard Chronicles is not a work or proponent of Buddhism. Rather, its major themes have been shaped by certain aspects of Buddhist philosophy. Buddhist monks, while deep in mindfulness meditation, have had recorded heart rates of fewer than 10 beats per minute. My MC, the Death Wizard, takes this to the extreme, literally stopping his heart and committing a temporary suicide, within which he enters the Death Realm and becomes enriched with magical powers before returning to his body.

In terms of the major themes I referred to, theme No. 1 is the Fear of Death, which has had such a profound effect on the human species. Theme No. 2 is that death is not to be feared, but rather what is to be feared is to live a life of ignorance. Theme No. 3 is that breaking free of this ignorance is to become aware of the grandiosity of impermanence.

All this is between the lines, though, for the most part. The series is really action-packed and fast-paced.

As for my ancient language as well as most of my character and place names, these are based on Pali, a dead language now only used during Buddhist ritual. When translated to English, Pali is beautiful and erotic.

For instance ...

Do you doubt it?

translates to ...

Nam icikicchasi?

But I openly admit to not a linguistic expert. In fact, I hired an expert to do my translations and paid her quite handsomely. :)

All this is to say that Buddhism -- like it, hate it, or could care less about it -- provides excellent fodder for high fantasy, which goes back to the original point of your thread.

Last edited:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting thread and how everyone arrives at various aspects of culture to use in their novels.

In one of my series, my world is a seeded world, so I have different culture from earth represented, and of course, their beliefs and gods are also there, but in the back ground.

I have had some beta's say they are confused about the different culture represented, at first, until they get into the series and see how it is all explained...

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Interesting thread and how everyone arrives at various aspects of culture to use in their novels.

In one of my series, my world is a seeded world, so I have different culture from earth represented, and of course, their beliefs and gods are also there, but in the back ground.

I have had some beta's say they are confused about the different culture represented, at first, until they get into the series and see how it is all explained...

This is a great idea.

Korak_Karnar

Registered
Reaction score
The comment on Indian culture actually reminds me of an excellent book I read, The Druids, by Peter Berresford Ellis. A fascinating insight into the world of Ancient Celts, and the Druids more specifically. Actually draws a lot of parallels between ancient Celtic and Indian cultures, and between Druids and Brahmins.

Status
Not open for further replies.