Not open for further replies.

AnneGlynn

If you don't try, you can't fail
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneglynn.com
Giving it away

Forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere but have any of the self-publishers here done novel giveaways on Goodreads?

If so, did it spike reader interest in your book? Did the freebie(s) increase sales or reviews or conversations -- and would you do it again?

MartinD

Thought I'd stop by
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know the answer (sorry) but I think you'd get more response if you showed Goodreads in your title. Something like, 'Giving it away (GOODREADS)'.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I've done two giveaways (at the end of one right now). I believe it does spark interest, but I can't give you hard numbers. I gave away two paperback books the first time and received one review (the winners are not obligated to write a review, by the way). My current giveaway will end on April 28th. I am providing two paperback copies for that one as well. You can only giveaway paperback books, no e-books.

AnneGlynn

If you don't try, you can't fail
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneglynn.com
Thank you, M.

I don't blame you for not having hard numbers; I'm not sure how you could get an exact count on that kind of thing, anyway. But what makes you think sales were spurred?

Also, if you'll share, why two copies of each book?

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Once the giveaway was done, I saw an uptick in sales at Amazon. I surmised, though this is purely speculation, that those who did not win the freebie, decided to buy the book (either in e-book or paperback format). It could simply be a coincidence. I'll be watching this go 'round as well, to see if the same thing happens. I track Amazon sales in an Excel spreadsheet daily, so I can track patterns.

I chose two copies as I didn't want to pay to purchase and mail more but wanted to giveaway more than one.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
A gentleman named Coker from Smachwords has a free book on promotion of SP E books and in a couple chapters he discusses that very topic. I'm not sure but I'd swear he had some graphs in there showing sells post give away campaign. If I still had the link I'd provide it, should be able to go to smashwords and search for his freebies.

JustJas

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up and the link. I just downloaded this book.It looks interesting.

Edit: Love this quote from the book

"Darwin is in charge. This is a game of survival of the fittest. Writers who honor readers by publishing great books will reach the most readers."​

Last edited:

incognito

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of Goodreads giveaways? I did one last year and thought it was worth it. On that occasion, I only gave away two copies. This time, I want to give away more.

Financially, I would be just about comfortable with giving away five copies. But a lot of people give away ten. I understand this is potentially double the number of people reading it and raving about it on Goodreads, which could be good for sales. But that's double the investment.

What are people's views on this?

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Give away e-books rather than print? Then there's no investment, really...

JustJas

Registered
Reaction score
Give away e-books rather than print? Then there's no investment, really...

Goodreads only allow giveaways for print books. I wish they would open this promotion to ebooks as well as it seems a bit behind the times to limit it.

I have never tried this as a promotion, but I know others who have, with mixed results. One friend did not get any reviews or ratings out of it, while another got a few reviews and saw an increase in sales.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Wow, I wonder why? Maybe they're worried they'd get flooded with giveaways. That sucks.

Could you give away the print copies you can afford, and have a note on the goodreads page directing readers to another giveaway at your blog or website? You could give e-books at the second location, PLUS have people looking at your other books...

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
If you win a book in a GoodReads giveaway you're supposed to review it.

I suppose it's cold comfort to authors that people who don't review the books are not allowed to win any more.

I also suspect that if they allowed ebooks they would be flooded with them fast, since they're so much easier and cheaper for publishers. Speaking as a reader, I cherish physical books more.

KellyC1

Registered
Reaction score
Just yesterday I saw a giveaway on Goodreads for 50 copies via PDF, so maybe there is a way around it, but I'm yet to try it myself.

oaktree

Registered
Reaction score
if you did a goodreads giveaway...

How much time did you leave between the time you listed the giveaway and the time the giveaway occurred? I can't seem to find if there is a standard length for these (1 week? 2?).

Would appreciate any thoughts from those who have done it.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I think what you most want from a goodreads giveaway is to make people aware of your book's existence, because I don't think it will translate into very many immediate sales. That's why I think it's best to offer one every three or four months. My historical is now on the to-be-read list of 283 people. Thats after three giveaways.

1 for two months- 830 people entered
1 for one month- 492 people entered
1 for two months - 776 people entered.

Don't they say in marketing a person has to see a product at least three times before they might remember it?

oaktree

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone!

That's why I think it's best to offer one every three or four months.

I read somewhere that Goodreads only does giveaways for books that have been out fewer than six months. Is this not true?

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone!

I read somewhere that Goodreads only does giveaways for books that have been out fewer than six months. Is this not true?

I've never heard that. I have one going on right now for my first book and it came out in August, 2010

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
Thanks OP for asking about this. Great information here!

I'm thinking of doing this as well. I have 2 ebooks, one is a novel and one is a novelette. I plan on doing a giveaway for the novel. I used lulu.com to have 5 copies printed and will give away 2 and run the giveaway for 2 weeks. My hope is that it brings attention to my book, gets people to add it to their "to read" list and maybe the winners will love the book and then spread the word.

As a Goodreads member myself (in real life, not my pen) I have received a free giveaway and I know I reviewed that book and told my friends about it because I loved it. Goodreads is how I found out about most of the books I've read. As an avid reader it's such a great site to use. I have the app on my phone & when I'm in the bookstore I'll see a boook that looks interesting & I'll use the app to check the reviews. If it has 3 stars or more, I buy it!

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I would contact Goodreads directly and ask them if there is a time limit. Most of the time it's best to go the source when you have a question that needs a definitive answer.

Last edited:

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
Here is the info about the six month issue (which isn't true) from the Goodreads site:

"Can I list a giveaway for a book that's already been published?

While most books in the giveaway program are new releases or haven't yet been released, we don't have a rule against books that were published in previous years. Feel free to do so! Just remember to leave the "release date" field blank or type in "January 1, 2012" as a placeholder."

I'm bummed cause I tried to do a giveaway with the print copies I made of my ebook. It requires an ISBN# which I have but since that ISBN# isn't registered on Goodreads as a printed copy I can't list it for a giveaway. I can't add that version because I don't plan on doing POD.

Status
Not open for further replies.