Asked about rates...

starkers

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a magazine interested in a piece and they've asked me about my rates. I've done a few articles up until now but none have asked me about rates, simply stated how much they will pay.

Anyone got any advice on how to approach this one?

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
That's a bit strange. Magazines usually have set rates. Are you sure the place is legit?

When I deal with private clients who ask for my rates, I usually base the quote on what I'm writing about. Is it an easy topic I can write quickly and without much research? Then I can quote a lower price. If they want quotes or I need to do a lot of research because I don't know the topic well, my price goes up.

Do you have any idea how much you want to charge? What are the specifics of the piece?

starkers

Registered
Reaction score
The magazine is legit but I am not sure they are used to using freelancers.

It is a piece about medical tourism and the research is quite difficult but I have not been in freelancing for a while so would appreciate the clip. I was considering offering less than half my previous rates for such an article.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
The magazine is legit but I am not sure they are used to using freelancers.

It is a piece about medical tourism and the research is quite difficult but I have not been in freelancing for a while so would appreciate the clip. I was considering offering less than half my previous rates for such an article.

What were your previous rates? Is the magazine national or local? Big readership? Don't ask for something that's too high for the magazine, but don't go too low either.

starkers

Registered
Reaction score
What were your previous rates? Is the magazine national or local? Big readership? Don't ask for something that's too high for the magazine, but don't go too low either.

By 'previous rates' I mean less than half of what a comparable magazine would offer. It's a national magazine but its also linked to a charity, it's not a mainstream magazine.

I've given them a low rate and told them that it's more modest than usual because of their charity status and the fact that I'm returning to freelancing from a break.

Last edited:

starkers

Registered
Reaction score
I got the commission but I think I bid too low, but I can use the material for further articles as it was a trade magazine.

starkers

Registered
Reaction score
If this comes up again, I think it would be a good idea to look at circulation, magazine price and advertising rates...