• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Entranced Publishing

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Hmmm... the prize is money and publications. But what about the author's rights?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ah, right at the bottom of the submission guidlines it says authors get 40%

Is that good or bad?

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Looks like 40% on net

http://entrancedpublishing.com/?page_id=68

40% off cover would be better :D

Depends on what they consider net. Obviously 3rd party charges like Amazon's cut or B&N. But it might also be other factors that aren't author friendly like minus editing, cover art payment, advertising.

Anyone who's interested might want to e-mail them and find out what exactly they mean by net.

Last edited:

FabricatedParadise

Can be bribed with circus peanuts
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like 40% on net

http://entrancedpublishing.com/?page_id=68

40% off cover would be better :D

Depends on what they consider net. Obviously 3rd party charges like Amazon's cut or B&N. But it might also be other factors that aren't author friendly like minus editing, cover art payment, advertising.

Anyone who's interested might want to e-mail them and find out what exactly they mean by net.

Jamie, in some cases it is off the cover price. This is quoted directly from our contract:

For readable digital formats: Publisher will pay Author a royalty, in U.S. dollars, of 40% of the Retail Download Price, for sales of the Work at the publisher's website and vendor sites not requiring distribution discounts. For digital books sold through outlets requiring distribution discounts, Author and Publisher will divide the net price after discount equally between them.

I hope this helps!

Eden

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
That looks okay, but it still doesn't tell me anything about the rights. Which rights does Entranced buy and for how long?

Does the contract have a solid termination clause?

artemis31386

All around miscreant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleymchristman.com
Entranced is a digital only publisher at the moment. That being said, the only rights we acquire are world-wide English, digital readable format rights. Authors are free to do whatever they want with their print, audio, translations, etc.

The contract does have a solid termination clause. This is directly from our contract:
[FONT=&quot]Contract shall be in force from the date it is signed by all parties until 36 months from the actual release date of the first released format covered in Section I.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The contract may be renewed by mutual consent for a period equal to that beginning the date of release.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If within 18 months Publisher has not exercised the rights granted in Section I, rights shall revert back to the author. [/FONT]
There is also a termination clause, should the author want to terminate rights, that requires a 90-day written notice.

Last edited:

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone subbed to them?

I subbed to them in April. Was accepted for publication not long after, and have been under contract about a month.

They are great. Response time to my subbed MS was very prompt and professional. They have worked very closely with me on every part of the process since then, and with wonderful results.

I will be submitting my other manuscripts to them this Fall, once completed.

Hope this helps you,
Nicole

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Entranced is currently open to submissions.

Their author's books will debut next year.

FabricatedParadise

Can be bribed with circus peanuts
Registered
Reaction score
Just went by their site and their home page lists a book that will be out on April 1st 2013. I take this to mean they aren't opening until next year. Is that right?

Entranced is currently open to submissions.

Their author's books will debut next year.

This is correct. We opened to submissions in mid-april. Because of the amount of work our staff is devoting to every book, each title will be published approximately 12-18 months after contract execution. We feel that each book deserves the time and attention it would receive from a (reputable) established publisher. Our editors work closely with each author to develop the manuscript to its full potential. This may take three rounds of edits; it may take six. Each book is different and will be worked on according to individual needs, but every book will go through at least two rounds of edits. During edits, a marketing plan is being specifically tailored to each book. Once the edits are complete and galleys are available (approximately 4 months before release), copies will be sent to reviewers, announcements will be made and marketing done through various media outlets, and a blog tour will be scheduled. We strongly believe that it takes time to produce and market a quality eBook.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Well, to my utter, unexpected amazement (and I really mean that), I have great news concerning Entranced Publishing. Just received the email this morning. Out of courtesy, I'm going to hold off barking about it, since Ashley might want to make an "official" announcement according to her schedule and timing.

I've read all of their editor bios, and I have to say that there is some substantial experience with all of them. It is a multi-editor type operation, with several rounds of back and forth (They seem to emphasize this more than once in their blogs and website). They have limited themselves to certain genres, which means they're not all over the place--a good indicator. They're not in a hurry to knock these books out fast, since the publishing schedule seems to be lengthy--so no "millish" qualities here. In fact, very lengthily for an E-publisher, in my opinion.

I'll let you know when it's appropriate.

Tri:snoopy:

Last edited:

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
A question for the editors/publisher: are you planning on staying eBooks only, or are there plans of expanding to print in the future?

I was thinking of submtting something, but I'm a bit old-fashioned, which means I want to have a print copy to hold in my hands. :)

TumbleHome

Inconsequential. Also: short.
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to you both! Looks like a class operation so far...

artemis31386

All around miscreant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleymchristman.com
A question for the editors/publisher: are you planning on staying eBooks only, or are there plans of expanding to print in the future?

I was thinking of submtting something, but I'm a bit old-fashioned, which means I want to have a print copy to hold in my hands. :)

At the moment we are staying an ebook publisher. We have planned to revisit the print option in the future which is why we are optioning only the digital rights. You are free to do whatever you'd like with your print rights.