The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Entranced Publishing

practical experience, FTW

Entranced Publishing

http://entrancedpublishing.com/ They're currently running a contest where the prize is an advance and publication. See this thread for more details: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...76#post7239476

Does anyone have experience with them?

banned as an incurable tosspot
    Hmmm... the prize is money and publications. But what about the author's rights?

banned as an incurable tosspot
    Ah, right at the bottom of the submission guidlines it says authors get 40%

Is that good or bad?

USA Today Bestselling Author Jamiekswriter's Avatar
    Looks like 40% on net

http://entrancedpublishing.com/?page_id=68

40% off cover would be better

Depends on what they consider net. Obviously 3rd party charges like Amazon's cut or B&N. But it might also be other factors that aren't author friendly like minus editing, cover art payment, advertising.

Anyone who's interested might want to e-mail them and find out what exactly they mean by net.
    Last edited by Jamiekswriter; 05-01-2012 at 11:14 PM. Reason: double posted with Miranda! :D

Can be bribed with circus peanuts FabricatedParadise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiekswriter View Post
    Looks like 40% on net

http://entrancedpublishing.com/?page_id=68

40% off cover would be better

Depends on what they consider net. Obviously 3rd party charges like Amazon's cut or B&N. But it might also be other factors that aren't author friendly like minus editing, cover art payment, advertising.

Anyone who's interested might want to e-mail them and find out what exactly they mean by net.
    Jamie, in some cases it is off the cover price. This is quoted directly from our contract:

For readable digital formats: Publisher will pay Author a royalty, in U.S. dollars, of 40% of the Retail Download Price, for sales of the Work at the publisher's website and vendor sites not requiring distribution discounts. For digital books sold through outlets requiring distribution discounts, Author and Publisher will divide the net price after discount equally between them.
    I hope this helps!

Eden

Know what you write...
    That looks okay, but it still doesn't tell me anything about the rights. Which rights does Entranced buy and for how long?

Does the contract have a solid termination clause?

All around miscreant artemis31386's Avatar
    Entranced is a digital only publisher at the moment. That being said, the only rights we acquire are world-wide English, digital readable format rights. Authors are free to do whatever they want with their print, audio, translations, etc.

The contract does have a solid termination clause. This is directly from our contract:
    Contract shall be in force from the date it is signed by all parties until 36 months from the actual release date of the first released format covered in Section I.

The contract may be renewed by mutual consent for a period equal to that beginning the date of release.

If within 18 months Publisher has not exercised the rights granted in Section I, rights shall revert back to the author.
    There is also a termination clause, should the author want to terminate rights, that requires a 90-day written notice.
    Last edited by artemis31386; 05-02-2012 at 04:42 AM. Reason: typo
    Ashley
    Website
    Twitter

The Witching Hour- Buy it Now
    Requiem: Buy it now

Nightingale available now wherever ebooks are sold

figuring it all out
    Has anyone subbed to them?

I've subbed to them. They were very swift responding and notified me that I was a first-place contender, so they kept my manuscript until the contest ends at the end of the month. They seemed very nice and attentive.

tri

I sometimes hiccup fire parumpdragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowwriter View Post
    Has anyone subbed to them?
    I subbed to them in April. Was accepted for publication not long after, and have been under contract about a month.

They are great. Response time to my subbed MS was very prompt and professional. They have worked very closely with me on every part of the process since then, and with wonderful results.

I will be submitting my other manuscripts to them this Fall, once completed.

Hope this helps you,
    Nicole
    A cute little bug :

Dear God, Thank you for keeping me together when I'm falling apart.

Goodreads

I'm a friend of Foo Bat - join the club!

So many ideas, never enough time. michael_b's Avatar
    Just went by their site and their home page lists a book that will be out on April 1st 2013. I take this to mean they aren't opening until next year. Is that right?
    Michael Barnette
    Fiction with an Erotic Edge
    LiveJournal Twitter Facebook
    I do NaNoWriMo
    Worth More than Words available now from Dreamspinner Press
    In the Heart of Love-Coming Soon
    SOLD: Nikki's Dragon-short story anthology to Fireborn Publishing

I sometimes hiccup fire parumpdragon's Avatar
    Entranced is currently open to submissions.

Their author's books will debut next year.
    A cute little bug :

Dear God, Thank you for keeping me together when I'm falling apart.

Goodreads

I'm a friend of Foo Bat - join the club!

Can be bribed with circus peanuts FabricatedParadise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michael_b View Post
    Just went by their site and their home page lists a book that will be out on April 1st 2013. I take this to mean they aren't opening until next year. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by parumpdragon View Post
    Entranced is currently open to submissions.

Their author's books will debut next year.
    This is correct. We opened to submissions in mid-april. Because of the amount of work our staff is devoting to every book, each title will be published approximately 12-18 months after contract execution. We feel that each book deserves the time and attention it would receive from a (reputable) established publisher. Our editors work closely with each author to develop the manuscript to its full potential. This may take three rounds of edits; it may take six. Each book is different and will be worked on according to individual needs, but every book will go through at least two rounds of edits. During edits, a marketing plan is being specifically tailored to each book. Once the edits are complete and galleys are available (approximately 4 months before release), copies will be sent to reviewers, announcements will be made and marketing done through various media outlets, and a blog tour will be scheduled. We strongly believe that it takes time to produce and market a quality eBook.

figuring it all out
    Thanks to everyone for the info!

Well, to my utter, unexpected amazement (and I really mean that), I have great news concerning Entranced Publishing. Just received the email this morning. Out of courtesy, I'm going to hold off barking about it, since Ashley might want to make an "official" announcement according to her schedule and timing.

I've read all of their editor bios, and I have to say that there is some substantial experience with all of them. It is a multi-editor type operation, with several rounds of back and forth (They seem to emphasize this more than once in their blogs and website). They have limited themselves to certain genres, which means they're not all over the place--a good indicator. They're not in a hurry to knock these books out fast, since the publishing schedule seems to be lengthy--so no "millish" qualities here. In fact, very lengthily for an E-publisher, in my opinion.

I'll let you know when it's appropriate.

Tri
    Last edited by triceretops; 06-07-2012 at 11:52 PM.

practical experience, FTW eternalised's Avatar
    A question for the editors/publisher: are you planning on staying eBooks only, or are there plans of expanding to print in the future?

I was thinking of submtting something, but I'm a bit old-fashioned, which means I want to have a print copy to hold in my hands.
    Visit my website.

Exciting! Congrats, Tri!
    I do the whole writer blog thing . . .
    Oh, and twitter too.

RELIC, a YA fantasy set in the Old West, coming Fall 2013 with Entangled Teen!

Thanks, Renee!

practical experience, FTW Lorna Peel's Avatar
    I also received great news from Entranced Publishing this evening!

Good for you, Lorna!

Inconsequential. Also: short. TumbleHome's Avatar
    Congrats to you both! Looks like a class operation so far...

All around miscreant artemis31386's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eternalised View Post
    A question for the editors/publisher: are you planning on staying eBooks only, or are there plans of expanding to print in the future?

I was thinking of submtting something, but I'm a bit old-fashioned, which means I want to have a print copy to hold in my hands.

At the moment we are staying an ebook publisher. We have planned to revisit the print option in the future which is why we are optioning only the digital rights. You are free to do whatever you'd like with your print rights.
    Ashley
    Website
    Twitter

The Witching Hour- Buy it Now
    Requiem: Buy it now

Nightingale available now wherever ebooks are sold

practical experience, FTW eternalised's Avatar
    Thanks for answering my questions!

And congrats to everyone who's subbed and received some great news!
    Visit my website.

practical experience, FTW Lorna Peel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by triceretops View Post
    Good for you, Lorna!
    Thanks, and congrats to you, too!

Yes, unlike many other e-publishers who take print rights by some type of default procedure, Entranced does not take print rights, concentrating solely on digital e-book. I found that refreshing.

Tri

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast