Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Men's Cologne

Men's Cologne

I need some help finding out what men's colognes were available in the late Forties and the Fifties in the US.

I know about Old Spice and Bay Rum. Were there any others? I remember my Dad had some cologne called Nine Flags - nine separate little bottles of fragrances named after different countries. I remember him having that in the Sixties, though. His International Man of Mystery phase

Any thoughts would be great, it's not a big plot point, but different scents are important in my stories for some reason....
    “Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.” Winston Churchill

I found this:
    http://www.shopwiki.com/wiki/Classic...es+and+Fifties

it has Old Spice, as expected, but some others.
    すべての武器を楽器に
    Of all instruments of war, make instruments of music

In Time-Out For My Sins
    I wasn't aware men wore perfume back in the Fifties.....

Layla, delicious! Thanks.

... lemon, lavender, carnation, cedarwood and leather... Yummy, now I really wish I could make soap and cologne!

Quote Originally Posted by mirandashell View Post
    I wasn't aware men wore perfume back in the Fifties.....
    That's cause you're just a young whippersnapper!
    “Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.” Winston Churchill

In Time-Out For My Sins
    Err no....

It's because where I'm from they didn't! Most working class men couldn't afford perfume!

It's too hot to play. SuperModerator alleycat's Avatar
    A lot of men back then didn't use cologne, but did slap on aftershave.

I'm not sure why. I later discovered that aftershave stung like hell. It was about 80% alcohol.

In Time-Out For My Sins
    Cologne, aftershave.... it's all perfume

Out to lunch
    Err no....

It's because where I'm from they didn't! Most working class men couldn't afford perfume!
    My uncle Tony did, and he was from Gateshead.

Not responsible for bitten fingers Shadow_Ferret's Avatar
    After shave is an astringent. I think it's for sanitizing the fresh wound you just created on your face from scraping off a layer of skin. The scent in after shaves evaporates as quickly as the alcohol.
    Twitter | Pinterest | WordPress | Tumblr

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION

It's too hot to play. SuperModerator alleycat's Avatar
    My father (who is from that generation) used Old Spice aftershave or something called Aqua Velva (this was in the sixties, I don't know whether it was available in the fifties).

He was a machinist--who are not exactly "dandies".

Let's see what's on special today.. Bufty's Avatar
    Brut - that was more of a perfume than an aftershave.

If I recall correctly 'Splash it all over' was the marketing slogan in the UK.

Think it was around in the fifties.
    Everything yields to treatment.

Err no....

No offense intended. My father was a sailor, not exactly ritzy. My grandfathers were a machinist and a fireman and they had their bottles of bay rum and Old Spice.

The 1st Rule of Write Club: Write! Jamiekswriter's Avatar
    My Dad wore Old Spice and English Leather. I also remember him telling me he slicked up his hair into a duck's ass (?) with pomade. It was pink, but I didn't think it had a scent.

Oh and he was a machinist too, later a plumber.

My Grandfather (a farmer) washed up with LAVA soap and some foul smelling orange thing. If I remember the name I'll post it.
    Last edited by Jamiekswriter; 05-01-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: working class!
    The Queen's Wings by Jamie K. Schmidt
    Heat: Club Inferno
    Longing: Club Inferno book 2
    Fever: Club Inferno book 3--Coming 2015
    Spice co-authored with Jenna Jameson
    http://www.amazon.com/Spice-Fate-Jen...ds=spice+jamie
    Shifting Currents by Lissa Trevor
    Triad
    Menage A Musketeer--Coming 2015

practical experience, FTW
    FWIW, Bay Rum and Old Spice were staples in barber shops in the US since before WWII; not much changed since then. Those scents were the hallmarks of having a shave with a straight razor - a culturally acceptable symbol of masculinity.

It was the advent and pervasive spread of television in the post -war era that spurred advertisers into a frenzy for products the public didn't even know they needed; cologne of various new scents for the common man represented a bold new market. It really gained strength in the '60s. Today the fragrance industry (antiperspirant, deodorant, perfume, cologne, etc.) is colossal on a world wide scale.

In Time-Out For My Sins
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieJ View Post
    No offense intended. My father was a sailor, not exactly ritzy. My grandfathers were a machinist and a fireman and they had their bottles of bay rum and Old Spice.

None taken, Katie. I'm just not used to being called a whippersnapper any more! LOL!

I'm sure some blokes did wear it back in the fifties but I wouldn't think it would be many. Fifties is my dad's generation and he put quite a few things on his hair to get a DA. But perfume not so much.

It could also be a cultural thing. It might have been more widespread in America.

Yeah - I was thinking it might have been more of an American thing that a British one, too.

Thanks, ironmikezero, I was thinking about those barbershop bottles. In our hometown, the barber was "Fuzzy" Frizzell, and he kept personal bottles of bay rum and Old Spice for regular customers

practical experience, FTW Steve Collins's Avatar
    I know Acqua Di Parma was a strong favorite with David Niven, Bogart and Cary Grant back in the day. Beautiful fragrance but expensive.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm" - George Orwell