Mythomania May 500 words/day--all genres welcome!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to Mythomania May, my friends, where the flowers bloom and the writing does too!

How did you do in April? Did you hit your goal? What's your goal for May?

And please remember to keep on topic in this thread--we're here to support a daily word count. For Other Stuff see the Life of Crime and Chocolate thread and the Mama Jude's Pep Talk thread. :)

My April--I did hit my word count goal and slacked of the rest of the month (but then, to be fair, there was Easter in there, several illnesses, a sick cat, and the dog had major surgery, so I'm giving myself an excuse a break).

This month I've got the same goal--10,000 words. Hopefully all on the same WIP. :tongue I've got two going. I need to pick one and roll with it.

How about you?

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I might steal that goal and say 10,000 words as well. I got too distracted in April with other projects and neglected my WIP. Same old story - got so far then started to doubt if the project was good enough, if the story sucked, if the characters sucked, etc. But it needs to be pinned down and finished and that's my resolution this month. I think 10,000 is fairly realistic since I have a trip home to Scotland and then friends coming to stay this month (although she is a writer friend, I feel we may talk about writing more than we actually write!)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ok - I'm in. I'm going to try for 3,000 words. (Yes, I know, but what can you do?)

April was good to me - I started the wordage and ended the month with about 1,670 - but they're quite good words for the moment.

So - end May with 4600 and I'll be pleased.

Good luck, everyone!

Logan!

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on my last chapter now; only a couple thousand words left on it. While that's exciting, I left a ton of empty scenes involving my subplots throughout the MS. I knew what needed to happen to advance the plot, I just couldn't figure out how to play the actual scenes. So, my goal this month is to finish those--about 10-12K worth. I think I can do it; if not this month, then surely by the end of June. Then the first draft should be finished. Whoa.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
I've finally shelved my frustrating last sprawling WIP at 50K words or so, and I'm okay with that. So I'm on a new project, a much shorter novel. Considering I'll have to plan a bit first, I'll say 8000 words, mostly in the last half of the month.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Managed to re-organize three scenes (and they may even make sense). Not many words, but a huge plot point that needed sorted. Phew!

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
My April was sort of up and down so for May I want to be more consistent. Too much publishing-drama spoils the integrity of my words on the page anyway. My goal for May is to simply write at least 500 words a day, regardless of what's happening on the agent/publisher/conference front.

I wrote 675 words last night about being disappointed in someone you love--to the point of sobbing. It was actually a fun scene to write.

Lucie

PS; I had coffee this morning with horror author Dennis McDonald and feel quite grateful to have emerged into the sunlight, unscathed.

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
April was sort of a good month. The last time I checked in, I think I was working on a proposal. I have an announcement soon, and I'll update the bragatorium when it's official. ;)

But between working like a madman, editing, then leaving for a week, Easter, preparing our house for a potential move I just learned is not going to happen, losing one of our cherished cats, and adopting two kittens (one of which likes to hide and could be named Houdini)...I've been terrible at checking in.

But I'm back. And writing. 1041 words today.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Bflo. Sounds like you've been busy! So sorry about your kitty. :(

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Off to a good start so far. Got one paragraph done but then decided that before I settled to write I should attend to the proofreading that I had to do for work, as it'd only take about five minutes. Turns out the boss uses some older version of Word that had a corrupt bit of coding embedded in the template or some such thing, so it rewrote my Normal template and registry for Word, passing on the same corruption and killing my Office Suite dead. Just had to shell out 2500CZK, which is about $150, for a new product key since mine is in Scotland and there's no way to retrieve it from Microsoft, and spent eight and a half hours yesterday trying to undo the damage, remove all the corrupted entries and reinstall.

Never been so glad to see MS Word open as I was at 3am this morning when it finally installed correctly. At least I can still go with my plan to spend these two days off I have writing. Was worried I'd spend them on the phone to tech support!

Marya

In search of distractions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
africanalchemy.wordpress.com
Oh here everyone is -- good to find you.

Right, I wrote about 3 000 words in April, cut out about 2 000 and rewrote about 2 000.

My goal for May is to get another chapter written of about 7 000 words and also finish a short story that has been hanging around since December.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
About 160 words last night. I like these words. They are good.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh here everyone is -- good to find you.

Right, I wrote about 3 000 words in April, cut out about 2 000 and rewrote about 2 000.

My goal for May is to get another chapter written of about 7 000 words and also finish a short story that has been hanging around since December.

:) Glad you found us!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing for me in like a week. Argh. It's almost finals, so things have been incredibly busy on my end. I might end up picking up a summer course or two, but I think I should get at least two-week long break, and I won't have night classes, so I should have at least a bit of time. after this week to get started good again.

No word count goal this month. I have about three things I'm working on right now, and I'm not going to stress over them. I'm just going to work on what I want and give myself some time off if I need it.

Doggie's okay, though! Her biopsy came back benign. :D

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
442 on the WIP today, and 597 on another project with a sleuth I've been sort of toying with for a while, but don't know how that'll work out.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
May - hmmmm...
Finish the research into poisonous plants, herbaly stuff and symptoms of poisons.
Complete planning - maps, plans and family tree (to make sure I kill characters off after and not before they are born)
Chapter plans and then . . .
Complete the prologue - and start the main part of the story. I am aiming for about 3-5,000 words.

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Absolutely no new words today, but I cleared out an overdue editing project. Will need to work better to balance my editing and writing.

I'd see if I could crank out a few hundred words now, but I've been staring at a screen so long I can barely see.

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
April turned out to be an adequate month. Good, but nothing to brag about. ;)

This month started out with a bit of a chop to the knees and now it is time to get back on track.

This evening started with a short scene of 636 words.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Well, my goal for April was to get to the end of Draft 1. Which I singularly failed to do.

However, average daily word count was 550, which is the best result of 2012 so far, so I have achieved something.

So for May, maybe I can finish Draft 1 this month. First writing session of this month has netted 742 words.

Marya

In search of distractions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
africanalchemy.wordpress.com
Took out 400 words. Wrote the first sentence of a new paragraph but it sounds too arch and pretentious to last long enough for a word count.

Mama told me there'd be days like this.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I have a rolling target of 10,000 words per month, which so far I have hit three months on the trot (although technically I reached April's target on the 1st of May, but I'm going to let myself off for that one).

Like most of you probably are, I am holding down a "day job" and writing whenever I can, so having a target to drive me is essential, otherwise I'd just be tempted to say "not today, too tired, too busy, whatever".

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Took out 400 words. Wrote the first sentence of a new paragraph but it sounds too arch and pretentious to last long enough for a word count.

Mama told me there'd be days like this.

Negative word count!!! Brilliant!!

(PS: Mama was right ;) )

Last edited:

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
Had a writing session this morning for 575 words.

Can't wait to edit it in a month when the rest of the first draft is finished.

The power of positive thinking. ;)

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Spent this morning working on the prologue. Edited parts of it and added words bring it up to 1435.