Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Mythomania May 500 words/day--all genres welcome!

Hopes to one day write for food. DocBrown's Avatar
    Let's see, I wrote 766 words between yesterday and the day before.

Today, I put in the minimum at 510.

I slipped the past 4-5 days, but there is always a saddle to get back into.
    A blogger blogs themselves slobbering
    Quickly they wonder why bothering
    To write every day
    In an impactful way
    While knowing they impact nothing!

My Obligatory Blog: http://trickbrown.com

I write when I'm inspired, and I see to it that I'm inspired at nine o'clock every morning. - Peter de Vries

Making my own sunshine AW Moderator heyjude's Avatar
    I futzed and puttered and pulled and rewrote for a while. Every time I started to make more progress, the kids needed me. I give up for the day.

practical experience, FTW Logan!'s Avatar
    A thousand words yesterday, which brought me over the 100K mark. I never thought I'd make it that far given by minimalist prose, but there is a shitload of subplot-y stuff in the beginning that needs cut anyway.

practical experience, FTW wonderactivist's Avatar
    Congrats, Logan!

Quote Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
    I futzed and puttered and pulled and rewrote for a while. Every time I started to make more progress, the kids needed me. I give up for the day.
    So sorry you had a rough day. Hope you had some fun with the kids. Look on the bright side, I haven't played in years! Get some rest, girl. We'll see you tomorrow morning before the kids get up. (That was my drill sergeant talking. You can ignore him--or not.)
    Suspense author and freelance writer. Check out my words at reverse perspective.

In search of distractions Marya's Avatar
    Got up early and wrote 1 600 words. Unfortunately I've written myself into another dead end.

Very tempted to just leave the damn story alone and just write something new -- anything different -- for the day.

mccardey I hope you have a better day today.
    Jack: That, my dear Algy, is the whole truth pure and simple.
    Algernon: The truth is rarely pure and never simple. Modern life would be very tedious if it were either, and modern literature a complete impossibility!

practical experience, FTW mccardey's Avatar
    Bad luck, Jude Let's hope tomorrow is better.

Thanks Marya - hope you're better now?

I woke very late - we had work come in from Australia that needed doing overnight - so I'm starting writing at 10:00. Which is just about now.

Will Not Revise. Will just go on and pile up another 1,000 words. Revising is Friday's task.

Wish me luck! I'll be back to report.

Good luck everyone - hope the distractions are few and the words flow like flowing stuff.

ETA: Well done, Logan and Doc!

ETA (again): It's two hours later and I'm having such a wonderful time You know how I said I wasn't going to revise? Well - I revised. Took 467 words down to 238, but they're really and truly my mc in full character mode. And he's funny! I wasn't sure if he was going to be, but he really is. Also, sweet. So after lunch I'll do two hours of not revising - just 1000 words.

No, really - I will.
    Last edited by mccardey; 05-21-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderactivist View Post
    Congrats, Logan!

So sorry you had a rough day. Hope you had some fun with the kids. Look on the bright side, I haven't played in years! Get some rest, girl. We'll see you tomorrow morning before the kids get up. (That was my drill sergeant talking. You can ignore him--or not.)
    I accidentally slept in. Late wild night with the small group friends. Er... late, and lots of laughs, anyway. I'll try later...

practical experience, FTW knightrunnermat's Avatar
    I had 935 words written yesterday on a short story I wanted to work on. I didn't write anything on my novel, which makes me feel like I didn't get enough done. I really want to just crank this thing out and start editing it; sometimes I get frustrated with just how long the novel writing process really is.
    A blog I'm actually current with:

http://matthewgyoung.wordpress.com/

Oh, it really is, knightrunnermat. Marya, what's the dead end? Anything you can talk out? Feel free to post or pm me, if it'll help. Maybe it's an opportunity rather than a dead end. mccardey, it's almost Friday. Everyone else, best of writing.

About to get to the day's words, Edit: 1330 of them.

After I finish today, I'm standing at a bit of a crevasse. I realized in the middle of the night I need a subplot for one character. Problem is, he's a real loner. Loners don't generate subplots automatically. So the worst thing that could happen to him would be to be stuck in a small room with some chatty person? Hmmm.

Also, I also have the sense that I need 5-8000 words after today's finishing of Ch. 12 before I start exploding stuff and killing people for the following 50,000 words. (Structurally, the book is sorta all climax. But I won't think too hard on that right now. LALALALALALA) I had hoped this blank spot would fill in as I approached it, but it hasn't, so tomorrow, I'll either take just one day to brainstorm or just skip ahead.
    Last edited by lorna_w; 05-21-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: added wordcount

I write when I'm inspired, and I see to it that I'm inspired at nine o'clock every morning. - Peter de Vries

I wrote nothing. But I'm thinking, and there will be writing later.

pretending to be awake onesecondglance's Avatar
    Λrchangel: near-future SF noir
    Bleed Through: multiverse thriller with a side of vampires. | 48,500 / 100,000 (any appearance of progress is an illusion)
    I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.

practical experience, FTW knightrunnermat's Avatar
    It's a bit premature to stop writing for the day, but I had to take a break since that's what I've been doing all morning. I'm pretty excited, actually. I had come to a standstill with my novel (about 25K words) so I started working on a short story to flesh out another idea I had. Somehow, characters from my novel started showing up in the short story. I realized that they were part of the same story, just different threads that came together at the end.

It's always amazing when something like this happens to me. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I always get really excited. That's why I love writing. Well, one of the reasons.
    A blog I'm actually current with:

http://matthewgyoung.wordpress.com/

standing on head, typing one-handed... muse's Avatar
    ETA (again): It's two hours later and I'm having such a wonderful time You know how I said I wasn't going to revise? Well - I revised. Took 467 words down to 238, but they're really and truly my mc in full character mode. And he's funny! I wasn't sure if he was going to be, but he really is. Also, sweet. So after lunch I'll do two hours of not revising - just 1000 words.
    You just can't help yourself, can you?

726 words yesterday. Managed to firm up a couple of scenes, although they might need spiced up later. I think I'm in danger of having a saggy middle. (In more ways than one.)

*Hands out chocolate*

Good luck with the wordage everyone.

Awesome wordage everyone. Notice how you can add "age" to a lot of things these days without anyone caring? Careage for grammarage (grammage?) has certainly decreased. And my cat's meowage has increased.

Dragged another 233 out just now, having managed 731 earlier, which brings my total for the day to 964. If I can manage another *does quick calculation* 860 odd tomorrow then I can go on holiday having met my May target.

I have a bad feeling about this...
    Bleed Through: multiverse thriller with a side of vampires. | 48,500 / 100,000 (any appearance of progress is an illusion)

727 words today, amid a bunch of research on the Virginia bail/bond system, during which I found out a lot of stuff--just not what I was looking for.

But I did pass the 20k mark.
    Bridal Bouquet Shop Mystery series
    Bloom and Doom

For Whom the Bluebell Tolls
    Floral Depravity (coming October 2015)

Quote Originally Posted by BfloGal View Post

But I did pass the 20k mark.

Crucial point!

Hopes to one day write for food. DocBrown's Avatar
    1905 today.

This makes up for my slippage over the past few days. I am back to averaging more than 500 words/day.
    A blogger blogs themselves slobbering
    Quickly they wonder why bothering
    To write every day
    In an impactful way
    While knowing they impact nothing!

My Obligatory Blog: http://trickbrown.com

Quote Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
    This makes up for my slippage over the past few days.
    Slippage, eh? Excellent usage of an "age", Doc!

Way to go, guys! And those of you who might be discouraged by not writing more, remember it's quality, not quantity. Hehe.

Me, I haven't done much today. Working on the planning, actually. Do outlines count? Lol. But I'm about to get it to it now. Hoping to knock out 1,000 words before the night is over.
    **Blessed Be**

The Perfect Soldier - Complete. Editing.

Afterlife Redemption (working title; formerly Realm of Fear): 47,500/80,000 -- ON HOLD

practical experience, FTW wonderactivist's Avatar
    I wrote about 600 earlier, but now I'm too pooped to type more.
    Suspense author and freelance writer. Check out my words at reverse perspective.

practical experience, FTW mccardey's Avatar
    Hooray, Doc!!

I have house-guests coming to stay on Thursday, so today and tomorrow will be the last days I get to finalise Part One and leave it in a nice, safe spot. If all goes well, I should have about 9,000 words all revised and strong enough to stay on their own for a week.

Scarey thought, though - leaving them. But I think at the very least I can have a quick read of them at night when everyone's in bed.

So today - don't want no wordage, just want to get the prologue (yes, I do prologues. So what? ) and Chapter One all tucked up. Wish me luck! If you see me here before I'm done, boot me out or I'll have to self ban.

Have a productive day, you lot. Cause mayhem!

ETA: It just occurs to me - ironically, are we the best-behaved group on the boards? Have any of us ever been time-out-ed? I don't think we have... In fact it's quite possible that we're so busy causing mayhem that we've never even been issued a nasty-gram!

huh. Someone should study that.

I'm off. Have fun!
    Last edited by mccardey; 05-22-2012 at 11:34 AM.

I also have houseguests coming on Thursday (by weird coincidence) so am not expecting much by way of words over the next few days. Haven't had much over the last few days either thanks to having to prepare the house and build new furniture - never had guests before and my house was a bit of a bachelorette pad.
    The blog for work - ghosts, legends and all manner of things in Prague: McGee's Ghost Tours of Prague Latest post - Underground Prague
    My story "Full Moon" available here.

In search of distractions Marya's Avatar
    mccardey, good going!

lorna w, thanks so much for the kind suggestion -- I might PM you if I stay stuck. One basic problem is that I am transitioning from working with non-fiction, writing critical reviews and copy editing, to a whole new way of writing and I can't seem to adjust.

Nothing written as yet today but the hot-water cylinder burst and flooded the kitchen. Got in the electrician/plumber and he has fixed the problem and replaced the cylinder very fast (this kind of task usually takes a month or so out here) so I have no excuse not to write my 500 words this afternoon.
    Jack: That, my dear Algy, is the whole truth pure and simple.
    Algernon: The truth is rarely pure and never simple. Modern life would be very tedious if it were either, and modern literature a complete impossibility!

Quote Originally Posted by mccardey View Post
    ETA: It just occurs to me - ironically, are we the best-behaved group on the boards? Have any of us ever been time-out-ed? I don't think we have... In fact it's quite possible that we're so busy causing mayhem that we've never even been issued a nasty-gram!
    It's a great group of people, for sure. Slapped hands are rare in MTS. (It does happen, just not very often.)

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast