Mythomania May 500 words/day--all genres welcome!

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
1550. Made myself quit because I know it's not good for me to work much more than this at a time. Research is paying off. Looking forward to tomorrow's writing, a flirtation scene for my only female POV character.

I agree, onesecondglance, dialog is fun! Keep on writin' everyone.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1799 words for me yesterday! Not the greatest words ever to grace the screen, but they're words and they're mine!:banana:

Have to keep reminding myself that this is a 1st draft, it doesn't have to be perfect. I just need to get the story roughed out and get to know my characters. It's scary to think that this is probably the 'easy' part of the book. *gulp*

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
Egads Muse! I've always found the first draft to be the hardest words! :rant:

I'm lucky if I can get 1000 words on days where I'm writing first drafts.

Speaking of writing, nothing today yet.

But I just woke up 90 minutes ago and will be starting in a few. And yes, it is 4pm.

Wanna make sumpthin' of it?:e2fight:

:mob

Nevermind. :chair

Time to write...

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Finished off my edit and send it to the agent. *Gulp*

I'm probably far more nervous about this than I should be.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
286 for me today. Spent a lot of time fussing over the scene, tearing out, putting back in, and fretting. ::sigh:: I just can't get the confidence to let it flow, you know?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
*HUGS* Jude. I so know how that feels. Do something nice for yourself. You're awesome. It'll come back.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At last!!! Brilliant, brilliant morning - only 318 words, but I got Luke's voice for the first time, I know who he is and he's not quite as I'd imagined because I'd only seen the professional side of him. He's going to be wonderful to write because he's complex and compromised but he wants to be good.

I'm so relieved to hear him clearly! That means I can go back over the 6,000 words I have so far and revise and tighten - and I can spend all day tomorrow on it. And serendipitiously, I'm at the first plot point, so it will be a good chunk to get under my belt by the end of the week.

*sigh* Thank Heavens!

Katie, good luck, Doc, I hope you're writing well, Jude - remember it suddenly clicks and things work again. Just keep your butt in the chair. Or, you know, walk away for a while. Whatever. I've heard chocolate can be good... ;)

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Kaitie!

I'm still plotting, working on the new version which, touch wood, seems to be working. Planning on doing a little later today to give myself a break from building furniture (in anticipation of my Norwegian friends coming to stay next week), and also bought myself a new toy - little Asus laptop, thin as a Macbook Air but on Windows, and its keyboard is fine for touch typing (which I don't get with Macbooks). Hoping it'll allow me to write in all my little places I like.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
805 words of character development for the FMC's sidekick this morning; now it's time for lunch.

I would offer you a hug, Jude, but after the spider thing and the McConaughey incident I'm not sure you'd accept...

Marya

In search of distractions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
africanalchemy.wordpress.com
Hugs are always good.

Good luck kaitie!

mccardey -- finding that voice is often a turning point. When I can hear a character talking as himself or herself, I feel more confident.

Did 900 words and lost my way, went back and then wrote a single paragraph that puts everything else in the shade. For the first time I felt I was there in the scene and that the narrative was believable.
Unsure what to do next so I am opening a jar of biscuits.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Talked to an editor yesterday and felt truly inspired, but I had to go to work. By the time I got home I was exhausted. Maybe too exhausted to fight my muse? Loads of words on two projects. Maybe 2100 total.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
800+ words last night, a scene out of order, but I didn't want to lose what was in my head. 600+ today this morning, lunchtime session of another 1000+ Since tomorrow is major errand day, I doubt I'll get much new written tomorrow, or maybe will go over the last 6000 words and fiddle a bit if I'm in the mood.

I'm over the original month's goal I set, for I thought research would take more time before writing, but I'm doing it, efficiently, while writing. (This is what comes of living largely off-line for seven months at a stretch; I forget how handy having the browser open in the background can be.)

Last edited:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Another 1,048 words, although this lot came a little harder than this mornings. That still gives me 1,866 for the day though, which is waay ahead of target.

Hugs and cookies all round!

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
I had the afternoon off work today, and my aim was to use it writing. I thought if I had 3-4 solid hours, I might get to the end of draft 1.

It was hard work. Writing those words was like pulling teeth. Did I get to the end? Not quite. The Big Bad is defeated, but there needs to be a 'mop-up' chapter or two.

However, I've written 4,123 words today and I'm going to leave it there because I'm beat. The final chapter will have to come later.

And there will have to be a lot of revising in draft 2, because much of what I've written is rubbish...

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Holy cow, Shara! Way to write.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!

I often say if I didn't have to go to the EDJ I'd be such a prolific writer, churning out 10,000 words a day at least!

Sadly, I don't get to be a full time writer. At least not yet.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Much applause to everyone doing this while working a straight job and or raising a family. I'm impressed!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well done, everyone - seems like we're on a bit of roll here at MTS! Glance - well done on the character work. It's the part I love most - when I'm reading as well :)

I'm about to start, and a wee bit nervous in case a read-through shows me problems I didn't see yesterday. Not expecting a wordcount today, because I can't bear this unrevising thing - it's like leaving a messy bedroom behind or something. So Fridays are going to be my revise-and-tighten day, and the everything else is Just-Sit-Down-And-Write-It Day.

That sounds fair, doesn't it?