Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: New eBook and POD publisher, ConSpec Books, open to submissions of conservative SF/F/H

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

New eBook and POD publisher, ConSpec Books, open to submissions of conservative SF/F/H

ConSpec Books is open for submisions of novella and novel submissions of conservative fiction in the science fiction, fantasy and horror genres, for eBook and POD paperback publication.
    Open: now, no closing date noted.
    Payment: 25% of net for print books, 50% of net for eBooks.
    Detailed guidelines at: http://www.conspecbooks.com/submissions/
    Bob H.

Visit me at my www.SFFWriting.com blog for market news, writer tips, and whatever else comes to mind...

I was only joking! Honest! mirandashell's Avatar
    What, exactly, is conservative fiction?
    I wish I was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum. Cos how you can be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?

According to the guidelines, fiction with a "conservative" world-view. Presumably books like Card's Ender's Game, Varley's Red Thunder, stuff by Heinlein, Tom Kratman, Jerry Pournelle, etc.
    Bob H.

Visit me at my www.SFFWriting.com blog for market news, writer tips, and whatever else comes to mind...

I was only joking! Honest! mirandashell's Avatar
    You mean right-wing views?

Ah ok then. Counts me out.
    I wish I was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum. Cos how you can be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?

Benefactor Member alexshvartsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SFFWriting View Post
    According to the guidelines, fiction with a "conservative" world-view. Presumably books like Card's Ender's Game, Varley's Red Thunder, stuff by Heinlein, Tom Kratman, Jerry Pournelle, etc.
    Wait, you think John Varley is a conservative? If so, I don't know who's a liberal

I'm living in a silent film ViolettaVane's Avatar
    I think this is a great idea, kind of like conservative hip-hop, great combination, umm, yeah.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    SolaceAmes.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

practical experience, FTW
    To be fair, on their Our Philosophy page, what they are looking for doesn't seem to be as "conservative" as what often gets portrayed in the media (especially during an US election year ).

ETA: I would be more worried that there's no info on whose behind this publisher, what they're experience(s) is/are, and what the business plan is.

Quote Originally Posted by alexshvartsman View Post
    Wait, you think John Varley is a conservative? If so, I don't know who's a liberal
    Am I thinking of the wrong book? Is there another early 2000's "private citizen fights against the bureaucracy to get his own mission to Mars before the Chinese do" book?
    Bob H.

I'm already a real writer. Katrina S. Forest's Avatar
    Just speaking as a reader of science fiction and fantasy,

I don't like books that lecture me. Even if I agree with the points of the lecture. When you require authors to a have a very specific worldview, that says to me that if I were to buy a book from your company, I would basically get a lecture promoting that worldview. Either all the characters who disagreed would be the bad guys or the good protagonist would literally lecture me through dialogue. Or both. What I want is an interesting story where the right and wrong action isn't so cut and dry.

Now, that might not be what you mean at all, but that's my impression. I'm not interested in submitting -- I only thought the opinion of a potential reader would be helpful to you.
    "So we must daily keep things wound: that is, we must pray when prayer seems dry as dust; we must write when we are physically tired, when our hearts are heavy" -Madeleine L'Engle

"An honest answer is like a warm hug." - Proverbs 24:26 (The Message)

My Every Day Fiction stories

Benefactor Member alexshvartsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SFFWriting View Post
    Am I thinking of the wrong book? Is there another early 2000's "private citizen fights against the bureaucracy to get his own mission to Mars before the Chinese do" book?
    That's his book all right, but if you visit Mr. Varley's web site you will rather quickly notice that his worldview could never be described as right-wing

I don't really care about the author's politics. I enjoy reading Varley as much as Card, Scalzi as much as Goodkind.

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    They give an explanation of their philosophy, but I didn't find it very educational.

There's a dearth of info regarding who they are and what they might be able to do for an author, so anyone choosing to be their guinea pig would be going into it blind.

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you mscelina's Avatar
    Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fudz. Not pie. I do not share pie. EVER.
    Interesting philosophy. I would opine that presenting 'conservative' speculative fiction and horror kind of works against the types of plots that fuel the genre. Basically, this means that the storylines must all have the same types of protagonists and that those protagonists must meet the expectations of a decidedly conservative political bent. I mean--isn't it kind of restricting to develop a culture where "free-market economics are the engine for innovation and general prosperity?" It's just my opinion, mind you, that a laundry list of story preferences like this would produce plots that suffer from a fairly severe degree of sameness.

Kind of hard to be 'speculative' when you have to write stories that fit the current GOP electoral platform. Or the Dems or Libertarians either, for that matter. Just sayin'...

Since the majority of people working in the publishing industry lean to the left, as do most artists, writers, musicians, etc. (at least, that's the way they vote), ConSpec probably felt that they needed to make a distinction so those who lean the other way could have a choice. Doesn't mean it's right or wrong. NYT bestseller Brad Thor is a good example of a "conservative" writer.

I would think, though, that it might give any authors published by them a reputation as "conservative" and possibly limit their future audience.

Just as an aside, I don't care which way a writer leans, as long as the story is good and the characters aren't wooden. That's why I love Stephen King - his writing transcends politics, and he's about as left as they come.

Author of high-octane sci-fi, fantasy and horror!

www.tobytatestories.com Amazon

Represented by