Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Blog Review Request

figuring it all out Slamhamster's Avatar
    The sunny climes of Barnsley, South Yorkshire. No, I've never worked 'darnt pit' or had a Kestrel.

Blog Review Request

Greetings Bloggers, your mission, should you choose to accept it, involves visiting my first ever blog site. Any feedback regarding the layout, legibility and (gulp) content would be greatly appreciated. This post will self destruct in five seconds*.

* not really.

BTW I'm english, so we spell stuff like 'honor' properly with the U in it
    Last edited by Slamhamster; 04-27-2012 at 11:41 PM.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Seems okay to me. I would suggest a bland but informative subtitle like 'this is where I review stuff' and expanding the About tab to explain what stuff you review and whether/how to send you stuff to review.

You format is a tad wide for my screen, but my screen has pretty archaic dimensions--so possibly not a problem.

The sunny climes of Barnsley, South Yorkshire. No, I've never worked 'darnt pit' or had a Kestrel.
    Thanks veinglory. I've taken onboard you input and expanded the About section and also added a bit about review requests

practical experience, FTW Ginosion's Avatar
    I actually like the articles a lot. You tread on a lot of subject matter I'm interested in. I would say just liven your template a bit. It's just a little plain. Maybe a background image or banner.

practical experience, FTW The Illusionist's Avatar
    Like Ginosion said I would also suggest a little sprucing up the layout.

Also, I didnīt see the "a blog about SF&F and other stuff two" tagline above your title until I was looking for one. Maybe make it bigger/put it beneath your title?

The last thing I noticed was that your Mass Effect 3 post was quite long, especially compared to your other posts. Readers can be put off by this and stop reading halfway so maybe in the future break up posts like that into two separate ones?

Hope that helped!
    - Kat

Portable Magic - A blog about the wonderful world of words.

Twitter - Mostly all about anything book/publishing/writing/editing related.

Thanks for taking time to check it out

I'm thinking of getting the wordpress CSS upgrade, the customisation options are a bit limited on the generic templates and I can't quite tweak the layout through the dashboard without getting under the hood, so to speak.

I like the overall theme and have been working on a header image, but anything I drop in the header ends up padded out with empty margins and it just looks plain wrong.

I'll bear in mind the article length for future posts, I guess I went off on one when I was putting together the Mass Effect 3 post!