Tor Books is going DRMless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 42

I don't know whether the e-book industry is ready to learn from what happens to the "analog" industry when new formats arise, but the very nature of the digital format leaves them in a good position deal with emulation if they commit to the effort.

I think quite often people don't realize how old ebooks as a millions of dollars industry is.

1989 at least.

The file format thing was why in the 1990s people like me (and yes, me) were creating the Open Ebook Standard and TEI.

This became ePub.

Epub is basically ASCII text with markup in the form of HTML, CSS, and XML. An epub book is a bundle of files in a zip archive; the zip standard goes back to 1989.

If you created an Adobe .pdf and didn't use DRM 17 years ago the file is perfectly usable--readable, transferrable, printable--today. It's a standard (ISO 32000).

While I wouldn't want libraries to switch completely to ebooks, not for a very long time, if ever, librarians are well aware of archival standards--and paperback books don't meet them either.

But if ebooks aren't DRMd, they are essentially liquid data.

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
Are you joking or do you seriously believe that there is a conspiracy going on?

I think he means less a nefarious 'we'll sell them this and then sell them it again' plan and more a general lack of forward-looking in terms of formats and support. When DVDs came along, it wasn't like the engineers behind the standard sat there cackling like Ysma in Emperor's New Groove and going, "Now they'll have to buy all those movies they got on VHS a *second time*! It's brilliant, brilliant, BRILLIANT, I tell you!" They came up with a significantly better format and charged onwards, without regard for backwards compatibility. (To their credit, they learned from this and pretty much every Blu-Ray player can also play DVDs.)

Or take audio, for instance. If I owned an album on vinyl and then got a cassette player, I could record the album onto vinyl. If I got an MP3 player, I could record the tracks into digital format using one of those USB turntables.

Where the wrinkle with "let them convert their own libraries" develops is with DRM; take a look, for instance, at the Plays4Sure initiative (ironically named, in hindsight). Microsoft came up with this massive DRM-locked digital music initiative back in 2004, and then four years later they'd come up with something better for the Zune and were originally telling people "after 2008, if you don't have your P4S content licensed on your machine, you won't be able to re-validate it because the DRM policy servers are going away." Which meant all the music you'd bought from the MSN Music Store would effectively stop working; if you got a new computer, you wouldn't be able to re-obtain a DRM license for the new machine. They did allow you to burn to audio CD, so that you could blow a bunch of blank CDs and back up your music that way, but otherwise the music would turn into random unusable bits. In the end, they backed down after massive outcry and are still running the policy servers, but it's not hard to imagine this happening with other formats... including eBooks.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Are you joking or do you seriously believe that there is a conspiracy going on?

Conspiracy? Like the grassy knoll type? No. Not at all.

There's no "conspiracy" at all. It's simply how businesses operate. Have you never heard of the term, or practice, before?

Here, from Wiki:
Planned obsolescence or built-in obsolescence in industrial design is a policy of planning or designing a product with a limited useful life, so it will become obsolete, that is, unfashionable or no longer functional after a certain period of time. Planned obsolescence has potential benefits for a producer because to obtain continuing use of the product the consumer is under pressure to purchase again, whether from the same manufacturer (a replacement part or a newer model), or from a competitor which might also rely on planned obsolescence.

In some cases, deliberate deprecation of earlier versions of a technology is used to reduce ongoing support costs, especially in the software industry. Though this could be considered planned obsolescence, it differs from the classic form in that the consumer is typically made aware of the limited support lifetime of the product as part of their licensing agreement.

For an industry, planned obsolescence stimulates demand by encouraging purchasers to buy sooner if they still want a functioning product. Built-in obsolescence is used in many different products. There is, however, the potential backlash of consumers who learn that the manufacturer invested money to make the product obsolete faster; such consumers might turn to a producer (if any exists) that offers a more durable alternative.

Estimates of planned obsolescence can influence a company's decisions about product engineering. Therefore the company can use the least expensive components that satisfy product lifetime projections. Such decisions are part of a broader discipline known as value engineering.

Deleted member 42

In the end, they backed down after massive outcry and are still running the policy servers, but it's not hard to imagine this happening with other formats... including eBooks.

This has in fact happened with ebooks, twice in terms of Adobe's changes, and once with a smaller ebook publisher that went out of business.

When Palm changed their OS, the small ebook publisher's DRM failed to validate, and the books were borked.

This is frustrating because in all three cases, the file format is perfectly viable; only the DRM method fails, so that the legal book is not recognized.

(Did I lose hundreds of dollars worth of ebooks? Why, yes, yes I did. And in the case of the scholarly digital facsimiles, the facsimile producer and publisher has no recourse either, since they can't afford to license the new Adobe DRM scheme and re-make the books.)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, it makes me happy. As a writer, it means Tor won't be in my publishing future unless they dramatically increse royalty rates for ebooks.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, it makes me happy. As a writer, it means Tor won't be in my publishing future unless they dramatically increse royalty rates for ebooks.
Yeah, that confuses me too. They still do a heck of a lot more work on your book than you'll get from Amazon or Smashwords if you're self-publishing.

Tor adds value; do you think it's not enough value?

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Conspiracy? Like the grassy knoll type? No. Not at all.

There's no "conspiracy" at all. It's simply how businesses operate. Have you never heard of the term, or practice, before?

Here, from Wiki:

I think that's mostly bull. I work in high tech, and we try to accommodate backwards compatibility as much as we can, but it most often becomes untenable after a while especially between hardware components. Decisions have to be made. Often what we do is support something as long as feasible, but when it becomes too expensive or physically impossible, we have to move on. If that's planned obsoleteness, then so be it. But it's not a really planned at the time we bring out the technology.

I think most people assume that business really have their act together well enough to actually plan this kind of thing. It mostly isn't the case. They produce something with as advanced technology as they can to give it as much selling power and life as they can. Often that means that they cannot support older technology at the same time. Again, I think that Wiki post is mostly a supposition and done without any understanding of how this kind of thing really works.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Planned obsolescence dates back to the automobile industry in the 1950s when every manufacturer changed the style every year to make the previous styles unappealing, and the cars' maintenance became too expensive to keep them on the road much past 100,000 miles. That's all changed now mainly due to imports, but technology? How come we get a new version of Windows every couple years or so? My old W98 laptop and XP desktop still work just fine. Why did the first version of the iPad lack features that people want? PO is still a marketing strategy. I wouldn't call it a conspiracy, though.

PEBKAC2

Will crit for food.
Registered
Reaction score
Why did the first version of the iPad lack features that people want?

Probably a huge combination of factors, but if you're thinking that they purposely left out features so that they could get customers to update to the next release, I think that's not likely. I've worked in the software industry over 20 years, and have never heard that even mentioned in secret, hushed conversations as a reason to not implement a feature :)

You can only have a certain amount of resources (time, money, people, hardware, etc.) to spend on a product cycle before you need to release.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
I've worked in the software industry over 20 years, and have never heard that even mentioned in secret, hushed conversations as a reason to not implement a feature
I've got about 30 years on you. I started programming in the late 1950s. You're right. They never did it in a secret, hushed environment. They did it out in the open, and it was expected. The main reason for upgrades to anything is to promote follow-on business. Without that, a company cannot stay in business.

Release early, release often.

Deleted member 42

Tor said:
Tom Doherty Associates is pleased to announce the impending debut of the Tor/Forge DRM-Free E-book Store, which will sell all Tor, Forge, Starscape, Tor Teen, and Orb e-book titles directly to readers—along with, eventually, offerings from other publishers as well.

I'm really happy about this announcement.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
OK, please bare with me...

Technology like this left me some time ago. I understand that will a little skill, hackers can break DRM in a matter of minutes and upload the file. But, anyone doing this is intentionally doing this and not because they are clueless.

My question, is what is to stop me, from buying a DRMless book and then sending it to 10, 20, or 100 of my friends, for free?

Time and value. Sure you could do that, but in the end, why would you want to? If the amount you need to spend is trivial (under $20), the sources you can buy it from are plentiful, you can bundle book purchases together, you are no longer at the whim of pirates to distribute the book. . . it makes things easier.

PeteDutcher

Twitter: @petedutcherjr
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Time and value. Sure you could do that, but in the end, why would you want to? If the amount you need to spend is trivial (under $20), the sources you can buy it from are plentiful, you can bundle book purchases together, you are no longer at the whim of pirates to distribute the book. . . it makes things easier.

It would certainly hurt sales though.

Status
Not open for further replies.