Wondering about ads for data entry and rewriting pages...

writeinsideme

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a newbie that has been looking at different sites for writing jobs. Since I am still working on creating a portfolio of writing material, I thought I might consider just getting out there with little jobs here and there. Some of the ads on the freelance sites are for re-typing 250 pages from one format to another or other similar jobs. Is this a scam or is this really the way some people acquire writing jobs. Also, found several ads for sending in writing work, but you have to pay reading fees of $10-$40 per submission.

I have no problem taking little odds and ends like these if it gets me a little experience with timelines and the act of learning the ropes of rules and expectations that come with writing assignments. However, I certainly don't want to waste time and money on being scammed...as I'm sure anyone in their right mind would understand.

So, is this type of work legitimate or are they just bogus writing gigs that take beginning writers for a ride before they learn the ropes?

Thank you kindly for any advice you can offer on this. I would love to begin supplementing income while I build a portfolio, but I am willing to be patient if these writing gigs are not the way to do it:)

writeinsideme

kimberlycreates

insert witty title here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlycreates.com
Any "job" that requires YOU to pay money upfront is a scam. Any advertisement promising that you can make easy $$$ writing/freelancing is probably a scam. These are usually people who want to charge you a fee (sometimes even a reasonable fee) to give you information that is already out there free for the taking. Sometimes the information they sell you is simply this: Place an ad stating that you can teach people how to make easy $$$ writing.

Just remember: If it sounds too good to be true, it's probably a scam.

If you want to learn more about how to get started as a freelance writer, go to your library and look for books on the subject. Search the internet. The information is out there, free for the taking. There are some sites and blogs that specialize in helping newbie writers -- without charge. Copyblogger and Problogger are a couple, but there are others.

If you want to get writing experience and build up a portfolio, go out and write. Contact a local non-profit and offer to write an article for their newsletter. If you live in a small town, contact your local paper about covering a local event, or pitch an article that has local interest.

You can try your hand with sites like elance.com or another similar reputable site where you can bid on jobs. These gigs generally go to the lowest bidder, so if you're willing to work for next to nothing in order to build your portfolio, that's not a bad place to start.

writeinsideme

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I have seen a couple bidding sites, but they want you to pay a subscription rate of like $7 a month or something to bid. Is that right or are those scams? I am more than happy to work for little to nothing starting out, considering experience is more valuable than having two nickles to rub together at this point.

I honestly had no idea there was so much out there for freelance writing. The job listings are actually rather intimidating as there are so many out there!

I really want to thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

writeinsideme

kimberlycreates

insert witty title here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlycreates.com
I believe there are at least a couple freelancing sites that have free memberships. Reputable sites I know of are guru.com and elance.com. I'm fairly certain both offer free and paid memberships. Subscription sites don't necessarily mean it's a scam, because you are paying for the service of having an easy way to connect with people offering gigs.

I am personally hesitant to pay a subscription fee to a site (even a reputable one) where I'm not certain the cost will be offset by work found there. I would choose a free trial first -- if they don't offer a free trial, I wouldn't waste my time there.

What are the sites you're checking out? One way to check on a site is to ask if other people have used it, and with how much success.

writeinsideme

Registered
Reaction score
I had no idea there were so many outlets available for freelance writers. I have checked out a few freelancing sites. Freelancer.com, freelancewriting.com, writingcareer.com, online-writing-jobs.com, and helium.com.

I've taken on a few Helium articles to get a grasp of writing again and meeting deadlines, but I'm doubtful this is more than a portfolio-building experience.

I enjoy many different facets of writing, though technical and reporting are not my favorites.

I'd be interested to know if any of the above truly serve as a way to get into the writing market.