Question about querying with mutliple books/same universe

Lighthearter

Registered
Reaction score
Noob question time!

Currently, my situation is somewhat like this:

-Main series(4 books, 2 finished, 1 WIP)
-Side series(3 books, 1 WIP)
-Potentially 2 or 3 other side series on the drawing board

All of them are set on the same world and dealing with the same characters, even if in different viewpoints, combination and plots.

I.E. 2 of the 3 main characters in the main series appear in the current side series in a few scenes, but they're never used as viewpoints and only one has anything remotely approaching a large role. Which still isn't very big.

My question is this: Assuming I got an agent for the first series, would it be acceptable to query a SEPARATE agent about the side series even though it's the same universe and characters(but not two sides of the same story, as the side series is a prequel) - or should I run everything through the first agent?

On a lesser scale: if I got an agent for the main, would it be acceptable to e-publish the side series or give my main series agent a shot at it first?

Thanks a bunch!

-Lighthearter

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you have representation, you should be familiar with the specifics of your agreement/contract. If it is not specifically addressed to your satisfaction, communicate this with your agent and try to resolve the issue.

Absent specific contractual guidance, IMO it would be considered common courtesy to first discuss your other works/books with your current agent before seeking separate representation.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I would be really surprised if you needed two different agents for works in the same genre set in the same universe. What for? Your first agent would obviously handle this genre and like this universe.

Lighthearter

Registered
Reaction score
I figured the same, but wanted to cover my bases in case I'd misunderstood something.

But the question stands about ebook/self-publishing for a seperate work in the same universe when I have an agent. Assuming that I found a reason to self-publish rather than regular that made sense to me and I did in fact have an agent, would it be in violation of etiquette?

-Lighthearter

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
From what I've seen, I think most agents would be pretty upset if you did published anything in any medium while you were working with them without at least running it by them so they at least have the option to represent it. Particularly in this case, where you're talking same world, same genre, same characters. As Parametric said, Obviously, if an agent reps you for book A, s/he reps that genre. Why would you not want him/her to rep the other books as well?

Most people I've heard of who have two agents, it's because Agent Q doesn't represent the genre of the other book (a children's book writer who writes erotica under a pseudonym or something). But even then, most agents will say that they want the author to say, "Hey, look I have this totally different thing I'm working on. Are you interested in repping it also, even though it's totally not what you do, or would you suggest I find someone else?"

It's professional courtesy.

Lighthearter

Registered
Reaction score
Mkay. Thanks for clearing that up!

I guess the only question left is if I reverse the order of the two. If I've e-published one of them and THEN query an agent for the other, would the ebook I'm selling interfere with the agent's willingness to take the other work?

-Lighthearter

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Mkay. Thanks for clearing that up!

I guess the only question left is if I reverse the order of the two. If I've e-published one of them and THEN query an agent for the other, would the ebook I'm selling interfere with the agent's willingness to take the other work?

-Lighthearter

If it hasn't sold well, yes, and often even then.

Amy Hayden (Linn Prentis's acquisitions agent) talks a bit about series here.

We agents do NOT want to hear that you have written twelve books and that you are proudly submitting #6. You wanna know why? Because I don't want to have to read Books 1-5 just to understand Book 6. And in most cases it's worse if the other books have been published before (traditional or self).