Vatican Orders Crackdown On American Nuns

Seraph

Registered
Reaction score
You're being sarcastic, right?
Not at all. I'm not very aware of how the Catholic church and LCWR works and it's sounding like it'd be harder to split than I guessed. I appreciate the info. Just wish there was a way they could fight back.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
The LCWR will cease to exist as we know it now that the Vatican pulled a quintessential tyranical move, but thats expected. But its in the light of day so that benefits us.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
I want to be a Catholic, I really do, but the Vatican is making it damn hard. Not being a nun, the choice is pretty simple for me. I can't imagine how it must be for someone who's devoted her entire life to serving Christ. I mean, I love all the priests and nuns I know, but the top honchos? Not really. Totally missing the point of the whole message of Christ, IMO.

If I choose to flounce out of the Church, I'll try to do it in a classier way than displayed in this thread though. ;)

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
A response was issued from one of the nuns in one of the relevant lobbying organizations:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17794961

This quote seems to be crucial:

Network was singled out for criticism in the report for "being silent on the right to life" and other "crucial issues" to the church.

Sister Campbell suggested that her organisation's vocal support for President Barack Obama's healthcare bill was behind the slapdown.

"There's a strong connection," she said. "We didn't split on faith, we split on politics."

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
The Vatican said that the mandate to carry out reforms of the nuns' leadership "will be for a period of up to five years, as deemed necessary".

Archbishop Sartain said, "I hope to be of service to them and to the Holy See as we face areas of concern to all."

But Sister Campbell suggested a difficult time ahead: "It's totally a top-down process and I don't think the bishops have any idea of what they're in for."

Go, nuns!

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I just love those BBC headlines - from the response link in the last post:

Leader of 'radical' US nuns rejects Vatican criticism

And this one:

Vatican orders crackdown on 'radical' nuns in the US

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17766615

There's something about the phrase radical nuns that reminds me of the zany compositions of Frank Zappa.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Here's a news story from Taiwan about the sort of work nuns do:

Nuns’ devotion to the elderly in the spotlight

Care of seniors has become a big issue in the nation, which has a fast ageing population, and the Catholic sisters’ quiet devotion to less privileged elderly people in the north of the nation has recently caught the attention of local media.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Wonder how long it will take before the Pope issues a "crackdown" on Catholic Priests diddling little boys kids?

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Can't they keep the convent but lose the pope?
The Catholic church owns the convents, owns the land they stand on, owns all the furnishings and contents. The nuns own nothing ... Haven't you heard of a vow of poverty?

If the nuns say goodbye, the church keeps all the stuff, possibly up to and including the clothes on their backs, although I suspect even this Vatican would not go so far as to claim their clothes in such an eventuality.
In a sense nuns are "kept people." The system reminds me of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck_system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company_town
And of course it's been memorialized in song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2tWwHOXMhI

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
And girls. Don't forget the girls.

Wonder how long it will take before the Pope issues a "crackdown" on Catholic Priests diddling little boys?

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
In a sense nuns are "kept people." The system reminds me of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck_system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company_town
And of course it's been memorialized in song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2tWwHOXMhI

Company town. That's exactly what I thought when someone upthread said "Why don't they 'just' quit?"
I was raised in an isolated company town. I was a kid, so it didn't affect me personally, but if you quit or were fired, you had nothing left.
There was no other work, if they didn't want you, you had to leave: your home (rented from the company), your friends, everything you knew. Sure, you could take your possessions, your family, it wasn't slavery, but you were uprooting your family as well.
And the company liked to hire family men, because it was harder to move. A young single guy can just put his clothes in a bag and takes the next boat out of town.

Vocation aside, it's got to be really hard for a middle-aged woman, who has spent most of her life in a convent, and didn't plan to leave, to suddenly lose her home, her friends, her habits (in both meanings) and have to start an 'outside' life from scratch.
How many of them will get another job in nursing/teaching if they had been hired because they were nuns?

On the other hand, if the Church is trying to discourage women from taking up a vocation, :Thumbs:
Is there a lot of money to be made in selling off convent lands?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Company town. That's exactly what I thought when someone upthread said "Why don't they 'just' quit?"
I was raised in an isolated company town. I was a kid, so it didn't affect me personally, but if you quit or were fired, you had nothing left.
There was no other work, if they didn't want you, you had to leave: your home (rented from the company), your friends, everything you knew. Sure, you could take your possessions, your family, it wasn't slavery, but you were uprooting your family as well.
And the company liked to hire family men, because it was harder to move. A young single guy can just put his clothes in a bag and takes the next boat out of town.

Vocation aside, it's got to be really hard for a middle-aged woman, who has spent most of her life in a convent, and didn't plan to leave, to suddenly lose her home, her friends, her habits (in both meanings) and have to start an 'outside' life from scratch.
How many of them will get another job in nursing/teaching if they had been hired because they were nuns?

On the other hand, if the Church is trying to discourage women from taking up a vocation, :Thumbs:
Is there a lot of money to be made in selling off convent lands?

Thanks for the firsthand experience of company towns.

As for discouraging women to become nuns: I find it ironic that the stated reason for the Vatican beginning the Inquisition's investigation of American nuns two years ago was in order to determine why there were so few of them and why their numbers were declining. (At least, I'm pretty sure I ran across that ... No reference at the moment but will double check later)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the firsthand experience of company towns.

As for discouraging women to become nuns: I find it ironic that the stated reason for the Vatican beginning the Inquisition's investigation of American nuns two years ago was in order to determine why there were so few of them and why their numbers were declining. (At least, I'm pretty sure I ran across that ... No reference at the moment but will double check later)
Maybe they could have linked up with the guys studying why they're having trouble recruiting priests?
Funny how the urge to devote your life to serving God drops off when it's no longer a prestige position, and, in the case of women, you can actually have a range of job choices outside the convent.

Looking at the work people describe as 'nun's work', it's basically the jobs that, once upon a time, were the only jobs women could get: teaching, nursing, looking after those who need help. Doing it under the auspices of the Church meant that you weren't technically a 'spinster' or 'old maid', you were a bride of Christ, you had a calling. It ennobled the job.

If you were a good Catholic girl, it was that or marriage.

I gather that nun-recruitment is chiefly coming from countries where that's still the case.

* Company towns: in many it was a good life, they provided whatever they thought the employees needed, or would keep the employees quiet. But a very, very paternalistic system.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
minions? we're not talking about lex luthor. we are talking about a frail, 80 year old man who means well but is hopelessly mired in the past. he is surrounded by circle upon circle of cranky old men who are determined to hang on to the middle ages.

the leadership is stuck in the mud and the whole church is walking around them. it has happened before. it will happen again. the progressives win in the end. don't worry about the nuns. i've been dealing with them since i was in first grade. they can take care of themselves --s6

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
minions? we're not talking about lex luthor. we are talking about a frail, 80 year old man who means well but is hopelessly mired in the past. he is surrounded by circle upon circle of cranky old men who are determined to hang on to the middle ages.

the leadership is stuck in the mud and the whole church is walking around them. it has happened before. it will happen again. the conservatives usually win in the short term but the progressives win in the end--s6

If a group of people in relation to another group of people have all the power, all the money, all the material goods, and the stated right and capacity to force the other group to obey, then their age and state of health are irrelevant.

It is also not entirely clear that this group "means well."

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Things have changed since I was in the convent, but in 1981 I was 19 years old, had 6 weeks of "methods" courses (how to teach stuff), and was teaching in Catholic schools. Sure, I was getting my degree at the same time, but the rules were different for Catholic schools. The habit made you ageless. I had 17-year-old, 6-foot tall basketball players obeying me. They had no idea of my credentials or lack thereof.

Fast-forward to today. I would have my degree and teaching certification. I would be 51 years old and, if the worst happened, I'd be in a dirt-cheap apartment trying to find a teaching job. I'd be up against eager young college graduates who would be willing to work for a lot less money. I'd also be trying to learn how to deal with the real world--a world which I'd been sheltered from for 30 years.

I can say with perfect confidence that American nuns right now are furious--and frightened. When a nun takes final vows, she vows poverty, chastity, and obedience, the latter to the superior of the convent and to the Pope. He owns her. He has the power to throw her into the street with nothing but the dowry she brought X-many years ago in her pocket. In my case, that would've been $200 plus any interest accumulated.

I disagree that the current Pope is feeble and ruled by his cardinals. Sure, much of the work is done by a small army of cardinals, monsignors, priests--and nuns. But he's not a powerless figurehead being propped up for photo ops. He's an active, intelligent, evil man with the power, skills, and practically unlimited resources to enforce his will on millions of people. American nuns, in this case, will have a simple choice: knuckle under or get forcibly dispensed from vows.

"Dear American Religious: Don't let the church door hit you in the ass on the way out. Sincerely, Your Holy Father."

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
"he who was once able to observe justice may subsequently become unable to observe it..' xenophon. he goes on to describe a once moral man puffed up with power and pride who loses touch with justice and morality. i take that to mean someone who begins with good intentions but becomes blind to the needs of the people he is sworn to lead. when that happens it makes no never mind if the leaders are black hearted or misguided.

although this is usually applied to politics, it holds true for religion as well. organized religion is a tar pit. i think american catholics are ready to break ranks walk around it. i'm not 100% certain, but i'll bet my rosary beads on it--s6 ps--a catholic nun taught me that interpretation of xenophon in a college class forty years ago. thank you sister william.

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
American nuns, in this case, will have a simple choice: knuckle under or get forcibly dispensed from vows.

"Dear American Religious: Don't let the church door hit you in the ass on the way out. Sincerely, Your Holy Father."

I admit I'm not a Catholic, but I married into a devout Catholic family, and I may be assuming a lot, here. So far, the discussion has been (mostly) about the threat of material loss. Could or would the spiritual threat of eternal damnation be employed to enforce obedience in this situation?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Yes. And it would be quite effective. These women aren't stupid. They're educated and smart and equipped to deal with making much from little. However, their faith is (in general) the strongest on the planet. They've dedicated their lives to God. Period. That includes buying into the RCC's rules for this life and the next. To threaten their chance at Heaven would be the practically unbeatable trump card.