FREE OFFICE SOFTWARE QUESTION

mpclemens

Mad Typospherian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clickthing.blogspot.com
But I think Google Docs is also "supposably" MS Word compatible.

You can import/export from Word to Google Docs, but the translation isn't perfect, and sometimes it just Doesn't Work for me, though those instances are diminishing. Word uses a proprietary format, after all, and Microsoft -- or any software company -- would rather you use their product instead of someone else's. You'll have better luck if you downgrade the file to something like RTF before transferring to Google Docs. Oh, and don't do anything that Google doesn't like, or they can shut down your whole account, including docs access. Always have a backup in your physical possession that you control.

Personally, I do all my writing in portable formats, like plain text files.* The "typesetting" stage comes later, when I make a prettified version for ebooks or POD or whatever. But the original MS stays as good-old compatible-with-everything plain text. I've read too much from authors who complain about not being able to read files from just five or ten years ago, because they're in a format that's not supported, saved by software that doesn't exist any more.

* OK, technically I type my drafts on paper: the ultimate compatible document.

PeteDutcher

Twitter: @petedutcherjr
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I use notepad in Windows a lot when I want to write down quick notes. I also copy and paste my manuscript into it to remove all formatting and then paste that into MSWord after I set up my styles. Makes it easier to maintain a uniform appearance.

I'm using Zorin OS (a version of Linux that looks and works much like Windows but faster). I like it, as Windows has a LOT of subroutines running in the background that will sometimes cause MS Word to hang up for a few seconds...at least inXP. I just put Win7 on my laptop as a second OS next to Zorin so still learning where everything is now.