Looking for a forum/thread to solicit critique partners

cjcurrie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Over on Nathan Bradsford's site I had a nifty setup with a couple anon authors, where we would exchange chapters for critique. Having a "critique partner" gave me time to familiarize myself with another's writing style over a period of time. I was able to provide better feedback as a result.

I'm not old enough to be posting in the SYW forum yet, so I thought I'd ask here – where is the best place to find a critique partner? In theory, we'd swap novel pitches, swap first chapters, then commit to working together for a short time. It's an arrangement that I like a little better than forum-going. The relationship can be as serious or as casual as would benefit both parties.

I am, of course, also contributing to the SYW forum.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, how old do you think you need to be to post at SYW? IIRC, any member with 50 posts can put up a story or a chapter at the appropriate SYW board--unless the work is categorized as erotica, erotic romance, or isn't but has graphic sexual content. Again IIRC, members have to be 13. So if you're a legitimate member, you can post to SYW once you reach 50 posts.

But you can also seek a critique partner, too. You'd want to post at Beta Readers, Mentors, and Writing Buddies, explaining what you want and what you write.

Meanwhile, though, I urge you to continue your contributions to SYW and other boards of interest.

Maryn, curious how old you are even though it's not her business

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That explains the white hairs at my temples. Wisdom! (Much better than 'old.')

Maryn, who learned a thing or two in all this time

lyrwriter

A Fuzzy Mango With Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fuzzymango.wordpress.com
Wait, how old do you think you need to be to post at SYW? IIRC, any member with 50 posts can put up a story or a chapter at the appropriate SYW board--unless the work is categorized as erotica, erotic romance, or isn't but has graphic sexual content. Again IIRC, members have to be 13. So if you're a legitimate member, you can post to SYW once you reach 50 posts.

But you can also seek a critique partner, too. You'd want to post at Beta Readers, Mentors, and Writing Buddies, explaining what you want and what you write.

Meanwhile, though, I urge you to continue your contributions to SYW and other boards of interest.

Maryn, curious how old you are even though it's not her business
None of my business either, but I'm guessing the "not old enough" was actually a quirky way of referring to the lack of posts rather than calendar age. ;)

Anyhoo, welcome, fellow noob! :)

cjcurrie

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, thanks for the responses. To answer the questions: I'm 21, and my genre is scifi. I was indeed referring to my number of posts :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, duh. Okay, you're an adult after all, just not around AW long enough to accumulate posts. I swear, I can be so dense sometimes.

Hey, answer this and you'll have one more. We'll get you there, I promise.

Maryn, offering a hand up