The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Liz D Publicity & Promotions

Liz D Publicity & Promotions

How does one know if a publicist is legit, worth the money, etc?

One approached me through email

her website is here

http://www.lizdpublicity.com/

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    If they approached you through spam?

Don't. Just...don't.

They can't be good news.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

They approached me through email after buying my book. She said she wanted a week to read it and wanted to know if I could call her after that time.

Treading the Borderland Solunar's Avatar
    Sounds a bit odd that she would email you first before reading it. Have you done a google search for her name?

Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for. - Epicurus

And Charlie, don't forget about what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he ever wanted. He lived happily ever after. - Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I emailed one of her clients to find out. She only has two it seems.

Sounds a bit weird. Her website looks legit and the books in there don't seem to be self-published, so I don't know. I'd be careful, though.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    She might have been trying to drum up a bit of publicity for her own business. Stranger things have happened.

If you're considering working with a publicist then add her to the list of publicists you'll check into when you're at that point. Otherwise? Ignore her.

I don't like her website very much. "Neighborhood Shoppe"? Tacky.

You need to bear in mind the purpose of a publicist: to generate sales of lots copies of your book that wouldn't have been generated without the publicist.

Let's put it into simple mathematical terms. First, let's say that your royalty on each book sold is $1. (To keep the maths simple.) Next, let's say that the publicist charges $1,000.

That means that, for the cost to be worth it, the publicist must generate 1,000 additional sales that wouldn't have happened anyway just for you to break even.

What are the chances that someone who's trolling the internet to drum up business can accomplish this feat?

Also bear in mind that even top-flight publicists (who cost substantially more than $1,000) can't guarantee the author will make back the investment.
    Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesn’t equal winning at life.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog

A publicist is responsible for controlling the public image of a client. Their job is to increase a client's "public" value (their "brand"). The publicist, for instance, would be the person who gets that sweet Disney Channel Star doing the Playboy shoot.

I'd have thought it would be a rare writer who needed one and the money would be better spent on marketing (a marketer gets the product to the customer. Their job includes identifying who that customer is and how best to get the product into their hands).
    Last edited by Theo81; 04-16-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: typo

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    If publicity worked any less well or less often no one would bother with it at all.

Thank you all for the information. I wanted to be prepared and knowledgeable before going and saying YES or nooo thank you.
    I am pretty sure at this stage in my life, a thousand dollars is a "no" lol. I can market myself

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Also, the Shirley You Jest! Book Awards: http://www.shirley-you-jest.net/ $50 entry fee to win reviews and blog/podcast interviews.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: