Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: World Weaver Press

World Weaver Press

Anyone know anything about World Weaver Press? http://worldweaverpress.com/
    They started following me on Twitter so I visited their website. It's good-looking but short on information like staff experience, distribution, etc. It looks like they publish ebooks through Smashwords and do POD for some titles, but I didn't see their criteria for how they determine which books go to print and which don't (I'm assuming sales will be the main factor). They're opening to subs on May 1.
    Visit my website!

The Editor-in-chief, Eileen Wiedbrauk, is also one of the writers.

The website looks decent enough - easy to navigate, the information is all there, aimed at buyers not authors etc.

I don't see any specific experience listed and Google doesn't throw anything obvious up.

There's nothing here which would give me confidence to submit right away, but there's nothing glaring to put me off either. I say, give them a year or two and see what they've done with it.

practical experience, FTW
    They are open for submissions.

Any news/info/experiences/impressions?

Protecting Teddy with all my might. Leah J. Utas's Avatar
    I submitted to them the other day. I will report back when I know something.
    "If I were human I would tell them to go to Hell."
    - Mr. Spock

The Goat's Lunch Pail

FB

LinkedIn

Twitter

Goodreads

Found this bit interesting:

Do you offer authors advances?

No. Many large, conglomerate publishers offer writers advances, or “an advance against future royalties.” In that situation, your book has to earn more money than you received in your advance before you see additional payment. It is also part of the large conglomerate’s exuberant amount of overhead. World Weaver is a small press, independently owned and operated with a limited budget and minimal overhead. Therefore, we do not pay advances against future royalties; we pay actual royalties earned by your work.
    While not literally saying anything bad about advances, they try their best to act like advances are bad. Good examples are that advances are part of "exuberant amount of overhead" and later putting the emphasis on "actual royalties".

Or in other words, paying authors is part of conglomerate’s exuberant overhead and an advance is something other than an actual royalty.

Dunno. I'd say getting paid up front because the publisher has faith in the book is a good thing 8)

Other than that bit, sounds like your standard author-turned-publisher start up.

Quote Originally Posted by herdon View Post
    Found this bit interesting:

While not literally saying anything bad about advances, they try their best to act like advances are bad. Good examples are that advances are part of "exuberant amount of overhead" and later putting the emphasis on "actual royalties".

Or in other words, paying authors is part of conglomerate’s exuberant overhead and an advance is something other than an actual royalty.

Dunno. I'd say getting paid up front because the publisher has faith in the book is a good thing 8)

Other than that bit, sounds like your standard author-turned-publisher start up.
    Yep, very typical of the mission statements found in start-ups, or actually, the majority of small pubs. They have to justify it somehow--I wish they would just stay closed mouth about it. It's not a matter of "We don't do it for these various reasons", it's more like they can't do it for financial ones.

tri

Protecting Teddy with all my might. Leah J. Utas's Avatar
    Reporting back as promised.

Eileen Wiedbrauk sent me a rejection a little while ago, but was kind and helpful as to why she rejected me.
    As bad news goes, this was done kindly.
    "If I were human I would tell them to go to Hell."
    - Mr. Spock

The Goat's Lunch Pail

FB

LinkedIn

Twitter

Goodreads

practical experience, FTW Anarchic Q's Avatar
    Submitted last night, received a reply this evening.
    My rejection came across as quite blunt.
    Do Not Tamper With - My Writing, Art & Reviews Blog
    Wheelchair Seating for the Apocalypse - A horror short story by Q. Published on Spinetingler Magazine.
    Re-Invention - A sci-fi short story by Q. Printed in Make Something Magazine.
    GoodReads

practical experience, FTW Lady Silver's Avatar
    Hi, I notice WWP's open submission period is coming up again. I'm considering subbing but aside from the upthread, does anyone have any further experience to offer with these publishers?

Proud Literary Sadist justbishop's Avatar
    I'm wondering why a free Wordpress.com site when server space is cheap and self-hosted Wordpress is fairly simple to install (or cheap to hire someone to install). I wish publishers would realize that it looks amateurish to use a free blog site to host their business site.
    WIP#1: 52,313/50,000

The Last Three Words: Evernight Teen | Amazon

practical experience, FTW Lady Silver's Avatar
    Good point!

WWP is officially open to submissions until July 31st! Check out the editor wishlist: http://worldweaverpress.com/2013/04/...sk-april-2013/

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin ajfrench's Avatar
    I submitted something and was greeted with a nice, interested reply. In talks with the acquisition editor. Will report back about my experience.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I submitted to their short story anthology. Received a "we received your submission" but haven't heard back past that.

Formerly Phantom of Krankor. Torgo's Avatar
    I follow them on Twitter for some reason. They seem like a legit small press, but I don't have any other info.

(Standard caveats about small presses would include lack of capital, which can become a problem if things ever go pear-shaped.)

Submission call updates.

The open submission window is changing in 2014 and will be open in February, June and September.

Currently open to Krampus Anthology submissions: June 15 - November 30 2013.

Opening September 1st, 2013 - November 30, 2013 - Fae Anthology submissions.

practical experience, FTW auriel's Avatar
    Anybody have any new info on them? They have a new 'reading editor,' Stephanie Sauvinet, who was requesting at WriteOnCon. Their covers look decent but not sure about much else.

I had a story accepted for their Far Orbit space opera anthology. They'll be sending out page proofs and contracts next month.
    My blog, as if you care: http://agilebrit.livejournal.com

FYI for those who submitted:

"Specter Spectacular II: 13 Deathly Tales update: Production schedule has been revised. First acceptance letters went out just this week, with more to follow. All writers have been notified that their submissions are either declined or shortlisted for futher review (query if you've not received *any* notice as your notification may be lost in the ether). Those authors on the shortlist can expect forthcoming replies.

Specter Spectacular II: 13 Deathly Tales will be released in 2014 as the second anthology in the Specter Spectacular series. The first anthology, Specter Spectacular: 13 Ghostly Tales, is available as a paperback and ebook via Amazon, BN.com, and Kobo."

Following breadcrumbs ToadFeathers's Avatar

From a WWP author

Hello all, I know this is a bit after the fact, but I just saw this post and wanted to let you know, as one of World Weaver Press's authors, that yes, they are a legitimate small press. They are pretty new and are not high paying, but they are rapidly growing, and do a wonderful job of promoting their authors, involving them in guest blogs and online interviews and are very active on Twitter and Facebook. Eileen will likely have less time to give a lot of feedback to submissions as they bring in more queries, but she does try and (in my opinion) is always very fair about it. Even though I am one of their authors, not everything I have sent them has been accepted-- in fact, I just got a rejection for a novella for one of their anthologies, but Eileen gave plenty of compliments along with the rejection, as well as helpful tips, and why, exactly, it wasn't what she was looking for. As with any editor, if you are polite and courteous, respectful of their time and opinions, you will get along well with Eileen and any of the other editors and readers for WWP. As for me, my name is Kristina Wojtaszek and you can find my page on WWP here: http://worldweaverpress.com/about/ou...ina-wojtaszek/

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask and I'll answer as best I can, and best of luck with your submissions!
    Last edited by ToadFeathers; 10-03-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Reopenned to subs

WWP is open to unsollicited subs as of Feb. 1st. Will close at the end of February and won't reopen until June.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    The books I've read from this company are smart and very good. It's clear the editors have great taste and choose their writers carefully. I am a little dismayed by the quality of the copyediting for some of the books, however. Really heinous errors in more than one volume. WWP isn't alone in this, either. I keep seeing it more and more, even from big publishers. Is proper copyediting just over? Has it ceased to be a priority? If so, it makes me sad. It's hard to see a book--especially a good book--printed with spelling and editing errors. It's like someone sent a beautiful young person down the runway with their fly open and a big rip in their rear end. What should be celebrated and lauded is made ridiculous by sloppy presentation.

the possibilities are endless noranne's Avatar
    WWP is open for submissions all this month.

For the curious, I sent a query + 5k in response to a #SFFpit fav on 6/12/14 and got back a personalized rejection on 6/17/14.
    “We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
    —Ernest Hemingway

Website |♦| The Write Side of Life |♦| Twitter |♦| YouTube

MS1: YA SF, 68k, trunked
    MS2: YA F, 70k, trunked
    MS3: YA F, 76k, trunked
    MS4: A SF, 94k, trunked
    MS5: A F, 63k, trunked

MS6: A SF, 86k, querying
    MS7: A F, 76k, resting before edits

Any new info about them. Is is worth querying them?

They open again for submissions in February.
    www.karenleehallam.com

THE UNMOVING SKY " ... a chilling young adult thriller." (Leap/Shine Books, May 16, 2016)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast