Will ebook subscription clubs become a trend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ava Glass

Registered
Reaction score
Romance readers were early adopters of ebooks. If they really like Sourcebooks' subscription-based book club, will it be a sign of things to come for the industry?

Washington Post Video

Dear Author Interview:

Will other publishers be included in this new subscription based site and bookstore?

Yes, other publishers are invited to participate and we are already in talks with one NY publishing house.

Can a self published author be invited?

It would have be under special circumstances. Inquiries should come to me [Deb Werksman] directly.

Note from Jane: I got the impression that the important part of this subscription based service was to curate content for quality.

Response: Correct—we’re hearing from a lot of readers that there’s so much out there they don’t know how to weed through it all so the readers sticking with authors they already know but they want to find new authors.

How are authors being paid?

The reader is pre paying for 6 books. As soon as the book is selected, the author of the book gets the contractual royalty for an ebook sold per their original contract.
I personally think all the talk of curation and discoverability is an interesting reaction to Amazon. I'm also intrigued by the idea of a service sifting through a submissions pile of self-published work and acquiring some of it. I'm not saying that's what Sourcebooks is planning to do. Their "special cases" could mean "backlist" or "big names only."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.