talking about previous agent

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm weeping with frustration here you guys. If you query me and don't mention anything about past representation or previous submission history, I assume this is a fresh off the printer novel.

And if/when I invest several valuable hours reading this book, and maybe offering notes only to find out it's been on submission previously, you've wasted my time. And you've wasted your enthusiasm because at this point we're done.

You MUST tell agents in the query that the book was previously shopped.

You're MUCH better off writing a new novel and querying on that one.

Guinea

Registered
Reaction score
Had completely forgotten about this post, so am resurrecting this.

J Reid - Fully agree that an agent would feel like that, and believe me, I have been kicking myself with a great deal of pain since then. But have rectified the situation and now have it on all my initial query letters, but haven't noticed that agents are even bothered by it. It might help that it was a UK agent and have recently been subbing in the US.

Meems

Registered
Reaction score
But what if you were with an agent but parted before it was submitted anywhere? Is it still as important to mention that in the initial query letter since it is, in terms of submission history, still shiny and new?

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
But what if you were with an agent but parted before it was submitted anywhere? Is it still as important to mention that in the initial query letter since it is, in terms of submission history, still shiny and new?

I have the exact same question. Anyone?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I think so. It answers the first question any interested agent will ask.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Just wondering if there's a statute of limitations on a ms with previous submission history. Like, if it went to two or three editors four years ago under another title and has been greatly rewritten since then.

Two or three editors isn't bad, but you would need to divulge this to a new agent...and I'd probably wait till an agent has read and liked the book before opening that can of worms. Agents really, really don't like spending time on projects that have already been shopped around. But if it's really just a couple of agents, I don't think an enthusiastic agent would be deterred.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com

If it was never submitted, then I don't think you need to go into this in your query--or rather you wouldn't have, if you hadn't discussed it already on your blog. (And I hope you said nothing but nice stuff about your ex-agent there, because if not, the first thing agents will think is "There but for the grace of God go I.") Given that you did make it public, I think that what other posters suggested is good: a low-key mention that the book was briefly repped but not submitted by another agent.

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com

Interestingly, I was at a Florida SCBWI conference 2 weeks ago, and this question came up. The first agent (well known), told everyone it was a 'red flag' if authors have been previously represented because he wanted authors who were "committed to long term relationships" with their agent. He then passed the mic to me, I told everyone I disagreed, but "maybe that was becuase, as an author, I'm on my 4th agent."

The whole room laughed, and then I explained furhter how sometimes it's just not the right fit, you don't have the same vision, yada yada yada.

The other two agents agreed with me.

SO, that's to say that:

A) You'll have some range in answers and preferences but

B) Honesty is best. Begin or end your query with, "I am seeking new representation as I recently parted ways with my previous agent. This project has not been shopped."

An agent can get the details when they talk to you on the phone-- which they almost always do before offering.

And I'll admit, many times I DO look more carefully at folks who've been agented before, considering them a notch above the average slush query. I think it HELPS you to tell us this, not hurts you.