Are apocalyptic messages always political?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Elaine Pagels, Princeton religion professor and author of The Gnostic Gospels, has a new book out about apocalyptic visions. Its title is Revelations, and you can read a good summary (and positive review) of it here.

One of her key arguments is that apocalyptic messages are always couched in the present, in the political moment of the time they are written. This is particularly true of the Book of Revelations in the Bible. I don't think this is a particularly controversial thesis -- I was taught long ago that the context of Revelations was one of a reaction to the fall of the Temple and the persecutions of the Jews by Rome. Pagels has an interesting twist on this notion -- that John (the author of the Book of Revelations) was incensed Christianity was emerging as a faith separate from Judaism, one that was making its peace with Rome.

" . . . when [John] gets to western Asia Minor, he comes across many gentile Christians, quite possibly in churches founded by the now dead Apostle Paul. Unlike John, they seem to be relatively well off. They usually get along fine with their non-Christian neighbors. They may be prospering from the Pax Romana, the “peace” sustained by Roman domination. They are marrying and having children, running their small businesses, ignoring the statues, temples and worship of other gods that surround them.

For John, this Christian toleration of Rome and its idols is offensive. This is not a benign governmental power. It is the Whore of Babylon, arrogantly destroying the earth. John writes (in Pagels' theory) to warn the churches, and he relates his vision to provoke alarm at the Evil Empire."

She also points out that apocalyptic messages are politically unpredictable -- the same words can be put to opposite use later. Those same Christians John lambasts for being tolerant of Rome will be in quite different situations, for example, during the persecutions of Diacletian a couple of centuries later. In our own time, it is easy to argue that the whole Left Behind phenomenon is intensely political.

I liked her book on the Gnostics quite a bit, and I think I'll like this one when it arrives in the mail.

Last edited:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Religion has been and more than likely always will be another form of political beliefs...

Lucas

Registered
Reaction score
They don't really need to be.

An apocalyptical message is to some extent about society, but if I for example state that "The Western World will implode because the greed, materialism and lack of love amongst its subjects" its hardly a specific political message.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
They don't really need to be.

An apocalyptical message is to some extent about society, but if I for example state that "The Western World will implode because the greed, materialism and lack of love amongst its subjects" its hardly a specific political message.

Maybe, but is "The Western World will implode..." an apocalyptic message? It already implies a certain distance from the imagined world and "implode" sounds almost
soothing compared to other -- possibly more apocalyptic -- imagery.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I'd think any apocalyptic message could be "spun".

But I haven't seen too many stories of the Mayan prophecy saying that the Mayans had a political message for the folks on the other end of the 26,000 years.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I'd think any apocalyptic message could be "spun".

But I haven't seen too many stories of the Mayan prophecy saying that the Mayans had a political message for the folks on the other end of the 26,000 years.

Maybe the Mayans had no notion of "apocalyptic" in our
sense.

In some contexts "apocalyptic" has a pretty specific meaning. See for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalyptic_literature

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
The religious kind of apocalypse? Yeah, that's probably always political in some way, but because religion always finds a way to make itself political.

A run-of-the-mill end-of-the-world apocalypse? No, there's no reason it has to be political or even religious.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I wonder. Certainly a lot of them are motivated by political circumstances or social stress. But what about good old fashioned ego?

Some of the prophets of doom seem to see themselves as divinely gifted to warn the world. There's a streak of Mary Suism in that that I'm not sure is necessarily motivated by anything external.

I think the more successful ones probably are preaching in times and places of political and social change, but are we talking about the visionary or the disciples?

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder. Certainly a lot of them are motivated by political circumstances or social stress. But what about good old fashioned ego?

Some of the prophets of doom seem to see themselves as divinely gifted to warn the world. There's a streak of Mary Suism in that that I'm not sure is necessarily motivated by anything external.

I think the more successful ones probably are preaching in times and places of political and social change, but are we talking about the visionary or the disciples?

At least in the apocalyptic literature I'm familiar with, the pseudoepigraphia such as Enoch, it is hard to isolate a visionary writer or get a grip on what their project is. For example, in the Enoch traditions, part of what is going on in the apocalyptic text is purely constructive in that a large number of conflicting traditions and interpretations are brought together and rationalized in some way. So at least in that case what is going on in what looks apocalyptic is actually a structuring of heterogenious mythical materials into a seemingly coherent program. The only problem is that our idea of "coherent program" is very different from whatever coherent program the writers who assembled the Books of Enoch (for example) may have had. We may see something apocalyptic where they saw something more like a natural process and the same is true maybe of the Maya.

Status
Not open for further replies.