Publishing a Historical Primary Source--Question About Rights

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I have a bunch of letters (maybe 100) written by my late grandfather while he was in the US Army in WW2, stationed in Africa and Italy. They were written to his wife and parents (also deceased). I have always found them super interesting, a good love story in a dangerous setting. Anyway, I've started typing them up and I wanted to at least self-publish them in book form for my family members to have. They've been stuck in a closet for too long.

How does this work, as far as the rights go, since it's not my own writing? Who owns the rights? If nobody does, is there something I can do to claim them? I am working on annotating the letters, so there'll be a bit of original material, but it will be primarily his words. Thanks!

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Who inherited the letters? Who inherited your Grandfather's estate?

dwriter68

Registered
Reaction score
This is just a guess, but if you intend to publish them and perhaps write a foreword or maybe some historical references, or anything that comes from your own writing you could give authorship to both you and your grandfather.
Did you check with the copyright office?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kitty - I've sort of dabbled in a similar situation. I was given a collection of Civil War letters from one family - but with permission to type them up, annotate them, and sell them as one of the booklet publications to raise money for community endeavors. My opinion is that in this situation if there were ever any sales beyond the community project, rights would revert to the family / estate.

Which is the case for my Dad's unpublished novels and poetry. I can type them up and submit them, but any sales become part of his estate to be shared by his heirs. Thankfully I have permission from my siblings to do whatever I can with his writings. But it is a sticky area to get into. Puma

ETA: I've also typed up my grandfather's autobiography and other family records and distributed them to family members and given copies to the town he came from. The question of rights has never come up and I don't think it would unless I tried to make a bundle off the material.

melanieconklin

Registered
Reaction score
I, too, am curious about this. In my historical YA novel, I'm referencing some other published materials from the victorian era. If I include a quote from one of them, I have just assumed I would need to give credit. Now I'll need to look into it in more detail. With historical fiction, the learning never ceases!