• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

co-authors and the royalty split

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
If you work with an expert on a nonfiction book, how are the royalties split? Where do you go to get the legal forms for this or does the publisher handle it? I've never worked with a coauthor before, and although I am writing the entire book, they are contributing their workshop/seminar content.

Any help would be wonderful.
Tina

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Hi, tina!

It's a good idea to have the details of your partnership in writing. Such an agreement is called a "Book Collaboration Agreement." I would strongly suggest hiring an entertainment attorney to eithe draft this agreement, or at least review what you write up yourselves. My co-author and I have such a document, which was reviewed and added to by our attorney. We started with a template from a workshop on entertainment law, and added specifics for our particular deal (we write novels, rather than non-fiction, so the "ideas" section was a bit more complicated.)

Here's a thread where I wrote what things the agreement should include:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14262&goto=nextnewest

Yell if you have any specific questions and I'll try to answer them.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
thanks for the help. I am finding some helpful tips.
Its an odd arrangement. I get all the advance, and we split any other royalty payments 50/50. Her name is on the book, but I do all the writing based on outside research and her seminar content.

Thanks again!
Tina