Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: co-authors and the royalty split

co-authors and the royalty split

If you work with an expert on a nonfiction book, how are the royalties split? Where do you go to get the legal forms for this or does the publisher handle it? I've never worked with a coauthor before, and although I am writing the entire book, they are contributing their workshop/seminar content.

Any help would be wonderful.
    Tina

Ooo! Shiny new cover! Absolute Sage Cathy C's Avatar
    Hi, tina!

It's a good idea to have the details of your partnership in writing. Such an agreement is called a "Book Collaboration Agreement." I would strongly suggest hiring an entertainment attorney to eithe draft this agreement, or at least review what you write up yourselves. My co-author and I have such a document, which was reviewed and added to by our attorney. We started with a template from a workshop on entertainment law, and added specifics for our particular deal (we write novels, rather than non-fiction, so the "ideas" section was a bit more complicated.)

Here's a thread where I wrote what things the agreement should include:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...oto=nextnewest

Yell if you have any specific questions and I'll try to answer them.
    Want FREE reads? Click here!

Smiles!
    Cathy Clamp
    USA Today bestselling author
    ILLICIT, coming 7/16!
    My Website
    Follow me: Twitter
    Now on Facebook! Come friend me!

"An entertaining (and occasionally very dark) mystery." -- Locus

"[Shapeshifter] fans are about to hit the jackpot as Clamp returns to re-energize this amazing series. Searching for layered plotlines and complex characters? Look no further, as Clamp truly delivers!" -- RT BookReviews

"Cathy Clamp is a visionary author, creating new worlds that are both strong and vividly drawn. Adventure and excitement at its best." -- Yasmine Galenorn, New York Times Bestselling Author

"A struggling community under attack, compelling action, characters struggling with dark secrets ... FORBIDDEN hit all my favorite notes, and I love the rich world of the Sazi!" - Rachel Caine, New York Times Bestselling Author

thanks for the help. I am finding some helpful tips.
    Its an odd arrangement. I get all the advance, and we split any other royalty payments 50/50. Her name is on the book, but I do all the writing based on outside research and her seminar content.

Thanks again!
    Tina