Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad Chocolate

the world is at my command jennontheisland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra Kelley View Post
    Callebaut chocolate is kind of flat and lacking nuance, to my taste. I prefer Lindt, or a mix of Lindt and Guittard for baking and candymaking. There's also a Blommer chocolate factory downtown (gentrification kind of caught it up -- it used to be in a manufacturing district) which sells several types of pretty good chocolate in bulk.

Agreement, Hershey's is the bottom of the barrel.
    Lindt, at least the stuff in Canada, now contains hydrogenated oils. I bought my kid some at Christmas, and noticed the difference in taste.

I really wish people would accept that food costs money. Maybe then manufacturers would stop cutting corners.
    You are more than welcome to take anything I say personally, whether it was intended that way or not.

Eat This.

practical experience, FTW Fenika's Avatar
    Alter Eco Dark Blackout has: Cocoa Mass, Cocoa Butter, Cane Sugar. That's it. So smooth and flavorful.

http://shop.altereco-usa.com/Dark-Bl...rEco@Chocolate

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Psychopompous AW Moderator RichardGarfinkle's Avatar
    I find Lindt, Guittard, and Godiva produce a really good blend for chocolates, ganaches, and mousse. Vahlrona's very good,but kind of expensive. I sometimes use Callebaut in baking, but not for eating chocolate.
    Sometimes, what people need is to have things asked of them.

Now on Smashwords

Sophipygian AW Moderator Alessandra Kelley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jennontheisland View Post
    Lindt, at least the stuff in Canada, now contains hydrogenated oils. I bought my kid some at Christmas, and noticed the difference in taste.
    I think maybe you mean the truffle candies. I'm just talking about their chocolate bars. The ones in the cupboard right now contain:

Sugar, chocolate, cocoa butter, soya lecithin (emulsifier), vanilla -- may contain traces of peanuts/tree nuts/milk.

I do like Valrhona too, but it is so hard to get around here.

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say. Lady MacBeth's Avatar
    That's disappointing. I always enjoyed Lindt chocolate but I haven't bought it in a while.

My rhymes are bottomless Hip-Hop-a-potamus's Avatar

I really wish people would accept that food costs money. Maybe then manufacturers would stop cutting corners.
    Noooooo! I end up buying most of mine south of the border anyway. I can't find the mint truffles up here. All the other varieties, but not mint. Christmas before last, they had the gift boxes at Shoppers, but not this past Christmas.

practical experience, FTW
    Lindt still tastes good to me. I've noticed zero difference in taste.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12