Bad Chocolate

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Callebaut chocolate is kind of flat and lacking nuance, to my taste. I prefer Lindt, or a mix of Lindt and Guittard for baking and candymaking. There's also a Blommer chocolate factory downtown (gentrification kind of caught it up -- it used to be in a manufacturing district) which sells several types of pretty good chocolate in bulk.

Agreement, Hershey's is the bottom of the barrel.
Lindt, at least the stuff in Canada, now contains hydrogenated oils. I bought my kid some at Christmas, and noticed the difference in taste.

I really wish people would accept that food costs money. Maybe then manufacturers would stop cutting corners.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I find Lindt, Guittard, and Godiva produce a really good blend for chocolates, ganaches, and mousse. Vahlrona's very good,but kind of expensive. I sometimes use Callebaut in baking, but not for eating chocolate.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Lindt, at least the stuff in Canada, now contains hydrogenated oils. I bought my kid some at Christmas, and noticed the difference in taste.

:eek: I think maybe you mean the truffle candies. I'm just talking about their chocolate bars. The ones in the cupboard right now contain:

Sugar, chocolate, cocoa butter, soya lecithin (emulsifier), vanilla -- may contain traces of peanuts/tree nuts/milk.

I do like Valrhona too, but it is so hard to get around here.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score

That's disappointing. I always enjoyed Lindt chocolate but I haven't bought it in a while.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score

I really wish people would accept that food costs money. Maybe then manufacturers would stop cutting corners.

Noooooo! I end up buying most of mine south of the border anyway. I can't find the mint truffles up here. All the other varieties, but not mint. Christmas before last, they had the gift boxes at Shoppers, but not this past Christmas. :(

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Lindt still tastes good to me. I've noticed zero difference in taste.