AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Barking Rain Press

practical experience, FTW jeseymour's Avatar

Barking Rain Press

http://www.barkingrainpress.org/

Anybody ever hear of these guys? I'm guessing they're new.
    http://jeseymour.com
    Out now from Barking Rain Press:
    Lead Poisoning (2nd ed.) - Things go wrong when a fugitive mob troubleshooter retires to New Hampshire to live with his family.
    Stress Fractures - Kevin Markinson, injured escaping from prison, taken hostage with a teenage boy and surrounded by law enforcement, discovers that everybody has a breaking point.
    Frostbite - a bumbling gang of Rhode Island mobsters get more than they bargained for when they kidnap an aging assassin.

USA Today Bestselling Author Jamiekswriter's Avatar
    Well, this from their FAQ section (bolding mine):

"While large publishing houses pay an advance royalty to an author when they sign a contract for publishing a book, keep in mind that they do so only because they are confident that they will see a return on investment that is at least equal to (but hopefully greater than) the advance royalty. This is why most large publishers will only sign “bankable” names or manuscripts—to the exclusion of new or unknown authors.

As a small, non-profit publisher, the traditional advance of $2,000 or more per title would severely impact the ability of Barking Rain Press to accept works from new or lessor known authors by draining the resources we need to run a viable publishing operation. "

Horsefeathers on the first bolded statement.

And the second bolded statement doesn't make me think they're very solvent.

Oh and they want an exclusive and don't do marketing:

"What is your policy regarding simultaneous submissions?
    Barking Rain Press requires an exclusive evaluation period; we do NOT accept submissions that have been submitted to other publishers during our evaluation period. Barking Rain Press strives to reply within four weeks to a query or submission, which is a common courtesy we extend to every author in recognition of their desire to secure a publishing contract.

How will Barking Rain Press help me to market my book?
    Most readers aren’t interested in hearing from a publisher as much as they are interested in hearing from an author. Readers will Google your name, your book(s), your characters, etc., but they don’t typically Google for the publisher name.
    That’s why as an author, you should understand that your own marketing efforts will be the main driving factor in sales of your book. As your publisher, Barking Rain Press will make your book available for purchase in print and eBook form, but as the author, the task of helping prospective readers become aware of your book will fall largely on your shoulders."

Not worth the 50% royalties on Net IMHO.
    Last edited by Jamiekswriter; 04-04-2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: found more stuff

Yeah, right. Ask not what your publisher can do for you, but what you should/could/must do for your publisher.

Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
    From the FAQ:

The reviewers want most to hear from YOU, the author. It’s that one-on-one contact with the creator of a work that makes writing book reviews exciting to the reviewer.
    Yeah. That's why I was bored writing reviews of A Dance with Dragons and Watership Down and The Fountainhead and Gone with the Wind...
    Sleeping Beauty-inspired m/m romance : Editing.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    As a reviewer I prefer never to hear from the author. And frankly, I would have to be pretty hard up for excitement to write reviews just in the hopes of provoking a response from an author.
    Emily Veinglory

Some of the principals from Virtual Tales started Barking Rain. As best I could figure out, the decision to go non-profit was for various legal reasons. Barking Rain is solvent but I think the principals didn't want it to make it their full time job (all the people with Virtual Tales had day jobs).

While I believe the people behind Barking Rain are competent, their new business model is not inspiring which is why I declined their offer of publication when they started out.

Interviewers care about everything "author."

Reviewers care about everything "book."

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Vanessak's Avatar
    Does anyone have any new or further information about this publisher?

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    Some of the principals from Virtual Tales started Barking Rain. As best I could figure out, the decision to go non-profit was for various legal reasons. Barking Rain is solvent but I think the principals didn't want it to make it their full time job (all the people with Virtual Tales had day jobs)..
    I am not sure how being non-profit relates to being unable to front an advance?
    Emily Veinglory

The Paulest of all Coscas paulcosca's Avatar
    Just read a book by this press, and i'd be shocked if a competent editor had actually taken a look at it. Or if they had, they let the author run away with way too much. Not a good sign.
    http://www.paulcosca.com Where you can find more info about me!

http://www.paulcosca.tumblr.com My blog. Reviews, thoughts, and more!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Paul-...86479458046259 Facebook! This is the way I like communicating best.

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid Fuchsia Groan's Avatar
    Just received a review pitch from one of their authors (or rather, the publicist he hired). I'll take a look at the book sample when I can and see what I think.
    YA thriller The K1ller in M3, out now from D1sn3y-Hyper1on

"Taut storytelling and believable characters make this a standout mystery" Publishers Weekly (starred review)

Website | Twitter | Goodreads | Instagram

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin JohannaC's Avatar
    I submitted to Barking Rain during their open submissions period in August. Received a confirmation that the manuscript was received and accepted for submission (they have a lot of requirements you have to pass). Email stated that I would hear back by October 31. Since I did not receive an email one way or the other, I tried contacting them through their website but was not able to make a status inquiry through the contact form. Does anyone have information re this press and how to contact them for a status update?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin raegenhare's Avatar
    There is a Contact form at the website (look at footer menu), but keep in mind that if your email provider is blocking them, you won't get the response. Make sure you add the domain to your safe list, then use the contact form. You can also ping their Facebook page.

Tending bar by the litterbox. Thomas Vail's Avatar
    I have to say, it might be more than two years old at this point, but reading the bolded statements in the second post, if I was ever on the receiving end of a sales pitch like that, my immediate response would be, 'go on, pull the other one.'

I got an email from Barking Rain about their open submission period. After re-reading this thread, I'm not inspired to sub to this publisher via my agent. I'll have to check out the website and see if any drastic changes have been made since the last interest and info in this thread.