It's Terrible. It's Not Mine, But It's Terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex_Maam

not in show business
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetexfiles.com
This forum seemed about the right one for the topic at hand, but please don't be shy about telling me differently.

Here is the thing: there is a gal I know - a new acquaintance of mine - who is in the midst of a big media push for her newest self-published novel. She has self-published several books already, and I've heard her mention once or twice that if this doesn't work, she probably will just throw in the towel for good.

Anyway, so I test-drove a couple of the sample chapters she's got available, and it's just... it's pretty dreadful. I won't yarn and gossip about the particulars, but that about sums it up.

So normally, I would make a point of going to her book-signings for a show of moral support. (I don't know her too well, but I've trooped out for several traditionally-published people in our group, and would not like to be the kind of person who only waves pom-poms for people with big-name agents and Random House contracts.)

However, I am afraid that if I go to her soiree, I will either be expected to gush and rave about the book in question, or else have a copy pushed into my hands and a read-and-review promise extracted. I wish, wish, wish it was still in draft form so that I could make some significant positively-spun suggestions, but it's officially printed and Amazon'd and out there in the world - so as of now, the only options are to either show up and be supportive, or else join the dozens or hundreds of her other local acquaintances who aren't buying/reading/promoting her book and haven't told her why.

I don't know. Telling somebody they smell bad is hard enough, and they are just one hot shower away from perfect natural charisma. What do you do when some lonely soul has fixed their stink in stone, and is still wondering why nobody wants to dance?

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If she's only an acquaintance, don't go. Say something came up and you're very busy at the moment. You can just politely decline going, reading, reviewing, talking about it... no big.

if she didn't ask for your opinion before hand maybe she doesn't want it now. just a pat on the back. and if you're not comfortable doing that, no big.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Tell her you would go but a lap-dancing gig cam e up and it's worth several hundred dollars and well, the baby does need new shoes and the older one braces...

Works for me...

Tex_Maam

not in show business
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetexfiles.com
Tell her you would go but a lap-dancing gig cam e up and it's worth several hundred dollars and well, the baby does need new shoes and the older one braces...

Works for me...

Ha! Nobody'd buy the lapdance excuse unless I was the one buying, but I will do exactly that: "I sure am sorry to miss your shindig, but I just got word that there's a fresh dead steer out on 287, and you know kids these days don't feed themselves...!"

(Many thanks too, defyalllogic: wisdom and good taste in equal parts! She must surely have workshopped her manuscript before putting it out into the world, and if she didn't take suggestions on board before, who am I to worry about it now?)

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Personally, I'd be honest with my criticism, if she invited it. Maybe that'd mean I'd lose a friend, or acquaintance, or whatever, but life is short, and if her heart is really in it she'll keep writing and improving no matter what people say. She might just appreciate the one person who told her the truth while the rest were too scared to say anything. Or she might hate you forever. Y'know. Possibilities.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
Geez, I sure would hate to be in your shoes!

The thing is, you are the kind of person I would want to read my stuff because a large part of writing, is learning how to do it. It's also learning if you have the skill to do it. Anyone can write, but not just anyone can do it well.

The biggest horror I can imagine is people telling me something is good that isn't good at all. I can honestly say that I think that the large majority of people who write understand the need for criticism even when it hurts.

It's not really your fault if she throws in the towel because you tell her what you feel, but i feel you would be doing her a disservice by not telling her. Of course, thats easy for me to say because I'm not you LOL! I believe that as hard as it is to be honest sometimes, you can never truly 'lose' by doing it.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, that's an awkward one. I've been in sort of that position twice now, where local self-published writers came to my classroom to "share" their picture books with my students. I tried to focus on the Look, kids! Anyone can be a writer! aspect... but it was hard watching my students wiggle and squirm and stare out the window because the books were just that bad.

I would have loved to have explained to the poor, dear, sweet ladies exactly why I wasn't going to be buying their books, but they didn't ask so I was polite and neutral.

You said this is a new acquaintance, so I would let her lead. If she asks for genuine feedback, be honest. Otherwise, make like a snake and slither out of reach.

Tex_Maam

not in show business
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetexfiles.com
Hey, thanks so much for the good thoughts, y'all (and for Vicky Pollard, who makes me laugh *every* time I see her!)

I think I will still steer clear of "suggesting" for this current book, cuz again, it's done and printed and can't be fixed, but as it happens, I did just see on her website that she's got a sequel in the works - I'll keep a sharp eye out for it in our club meetings and see if I can't give some helpful feedback there.

And thank my lucky stars I'm not boring the daylights out of innocent children in the meantime...!

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I have this problem all the time when self-publishers send me their books for review (I work at a newspaper). Some have problems but are worth a skim (or a full read) and a short blurb. A few are great. Some are really, really bad. My best strategy is to send the authors a form letter and direct them to AW for some extremely honest critique and practical advice.

Unfortunately, some of them reply saying they're way past the research-and-critique stage and just need PR to turn their book into a bestseller. At that point, I end our email exchange.

In my experience, offering brutal criticism (outside a forum like this one) does little good to anyone.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Can't change the printed version, but they can certainly change the e-book one. Uploading an update is easy, if they're committed to improving.

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
If she hasn't asked for your opinion, don't give it. In the future, if she brings work to a meeting for critting, you can give her tips for improving her story then because it will be in the genuine interest of helping her writing to grow.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Yep, that's an awkward one. I've been in sort of that position twice now, where local self-published writers came to my classroom to "share" their picture books with my students. I tried to focus on the Look, kids! Anyone can be a writer! aspect... but it was hard watching my students wiggle and squirm and stare out the window because the books were just that bad.

I would have loved to have explained to the poor, dear, sweet ladies exactly why I wasn't going to be buying their books, but they didn't ask so I was polite and neutral.

You said this is a new acquaintance, so I would let her lead. If she asks for genuine feedback, be honest. Otherwise, make like a snake and slither out of reach.

When I went to art school, one of my teachers -- best teacher I ever had -- demanded discipline, application, and care. He was also scary as heck. He pushed each student to his or her limits, I noticed, requiring a lot more of the more capable ones.

He was also interested in his former students' careers, and welcomed them back to the classroom if they could show something useful or help mentor the students. But he had little patience for students or former students who didn't apply themselves.

I remember vividly one night a former student came in with, well, with terrible work, and my teacher basically told him so to his face and scolded him for wasting class time. It was embarrassing, but I think it would have been worse if our teacher had nodded and gone along. After the guy left, our teacher talked to us about taking charge of our own work and not wasting our or anybody else's time.

I'm not saying I suggest that tactic -- you kind of need to be a proper evil kung-fu master (how my friends referred to him) to pull it off.

But in a professional context, it does nobody any favors to say subpar work is good.

Angyl78

Registered
Reaction score
Honesty is definetly the best policy. If your aquaintance asks for input in the future. Please be honest. I am an advid reader of Amazon books and have a hard time reading ebooks that have obvious typo's.
You could always 'read' it online and suggest that an update may improve their sales?

redneckballerina

I ride the wind and dance the stars
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that's tough. I've managed to dodge a similar situation here just by chance (the signing happened on the day of a family funeral, so...) but I dread the next. It's hard to be supportive, encouraging, AND brutally honest once someone has already thrown their cards on the table. I hate to admit it, but I'd rather just make a polite excuse and skip the signing than force an ugly confrontation that probably won't help anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.