Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Genre Question: Is getting published science fiction or fantasy

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Genre Question: Is getting published science fiction or fantasy

I'm wondering if the idea of getting my novel published fits into the science fiction genre or if it fits better on the fantasy side of the aisle. If science fiction, that implies it is something that may happen someday in the future, even if long after I am gone from this world. If fantasy, then I guess that means it will require the intervention of some form of magic or perhaps the re-awakening of an elder god to ever happen.

I won't push this into further exploration of sub-genres--hard vs. soft, etc. Perhaps some of my fellow writers can relate to the feeling, though.

It's not a good idea to think of getting published as either fantasy or science fiction. That sort of thinking leads to the quest for the magic button, where you're sure if you find it, one press will get you published. But reality doesn't have magic buttons. Just because someone got a book published with purple aliens from Mars doesn't mean purple aliens are the magic button. Someone getting an agent by meeting them at a conference doesn't mean attending a conference is a magic button.

But if you think there are magic buttons, you'll copy these things, fail, and then say, "I don't understand... it worked for them!"

It's better to think of it as reality, where you have to work hard and accept that the factors for success are complex.
    * Polenth *

Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads
    Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel

That hairy-handed gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Jold View Post
    I'm wondering if the idea of getting my novel published fits into the science fiction genre or if it fits better on the fantasy side of the aisle.
    What is your novel about?

caw

Cough up blood. Laugh, light cig kiwiviktor81's Avatar
    Just call it "science fantasy" and see what happens.
    Get ideas with this Celtic Cross Tarot Reader.

figuring it all out
    I'm wondering if the idea of getting my novel published fits into the science fiction genre or if it fits better on the fantasy side of the aisle. If science fiction, that implies it is something that may happen someday in the future, even if long after I am gone from this world. If fantasy, then I guess that means it will require the intervention of some form of magic or perhaps the re-awakening of an elder god to ever happen.

I won't push this into further exploration of sub-genres--hard vs. soft, etc. Perhaps some of my fellow writers can relate to the feeling, though.
    I kind of like the idea of thinking about it as SF. It may be more a matter of luck, so that seems to imply a quantum element, eh?

The option of fantasy doesn't work for me. That implies magic, and I don't think there's any magic behind getting published. Lot's of hard work, time and sometimes brutal self-honesty, but no magic.

Personally, I think there's an alternate reality where it DOES get published, so I just need to figure out how to get my time line to sync up with *that* one.

sometimes woefully inaccurate Nimram's Avatar
    I'm wondering if the idea of getting my novel published fits into the science fiction genre or if it fits better on the fantasy side of the aisle.
    Since we didn't read your novel we could not say. Make it to 50 posts and use SYW section...uh...is that what are you doing here?
    "Subject!? I am no subject to flesh, little man."

I'm already a real writer. Katrina S. Forest's Avatar
    A new author getting published, if we must put it to a genre, is neither fantasy nor science fiction. It is realistic fiction.

It can happen, it has happened, and barring the end of the world as we know it, it will continue to happen.

Go out there and make yourself one of the protagonists who accomplishes it.
    "So we must daily keep things wound: that is, we must pray when prayer seems dry as dust; we must write when we are physically tired, when our hearts are heavy" -Madeleine L'Engle

"An honest answer is like a warm hug." - Proverbs 24:26 (The Message)

My Every Day Fiction stories

Moving with my soul, step by step Lhipenwhe's Avatar
    I wouldn't say that science fiction implies something might be feasible nowadays. As an example, backwards time travel is impossible as it would break several laws of the universe. I'd also say that 'magic' has occasionally appeared in science fiction as well, the most famous example being Star Wars.

In essence, I think the trappings of the story helps define the genre of the media piece, even if the boundaries have become more mutable as of late. Also, this quote by Arthur C. Clarke seems (somehow) relevant:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke
    Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you believe can change the nature of a man, can.

-
    The Nameless One, Planescape: Torment

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble Mr Flibble's Avatar
    We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
    I take you mean is the process of getting published SF or fantasy?

Neither

More like a whodunnit - once you know all the clues, who did it is a lot easier to figure out.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter

Banned
    At the moment the idea of having your novel published is just a dream. Dreams are cliche. Let's not go there.

If it's a fantasy, your parents are not really your parents. You're a prince, given up at birth for some fairly traditional and unimportant reason, and you're going to have to put up with a lot of shit to get your throne back. You will get it back, but the sooner you learn to handle a sword and ride a horse-like beast the better.

If it's science fiction, anything can happen, and probably will. But whatever happens, remember that:
    - nothing is really quite what it appears to be
    - you don't need to use the loo anymore
    - right at the end it will all come good using some technology that was hinted at all along but only became significant at that vital moment

Good luck.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Good points, all.

I particularly enjoy the suggestion of alternate history. It may have already happened in another universe. Indeed, it almost has to have happened in some reality. This gives me great pleasure.

[I was attempting to make a joke, in case I didn't make that obvious. I appreciate all the responses. : )]