The Descent of Man: Are men going the way of the dodo?

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I planned an invasion too...

But then my friend Jay used a drop pod to put a squad of sternguard Space Marines in my flanks and shot up my boyz! My Waaagh was short lived and very sad.

Since these were space orks, does this make me at least part Fungus in Heinlein's eyes?

Cheer up. Eventually, the Space Marines will all be consumed by the Machine God on Mars and turned into the new Necrons and your Orks will have an equally unstoppable army to fight against until the Tyranids conquer everything.

But, hey, I'm an optimist.

( I don't play, but my kids and my nephews do).

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
The same thing that happened when technology increased productivity and decreased the amount of work required in any field throughout the entirety of human history.

Vast improvements in standards of living.

After long periods of social upheaval, revolutions, increases in crime and the relegation of large sections of the population to mere cogs in the machine.

There should be a better way.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
After long periods of social upheaval, revolutions, increases in crime and the relegation of large sections of the population to mere cogs in the machine.

Going stright from nomadic to industrial does pose just as significant problems.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your post!

And, see, those past roadbumps (and they were nasty, nasty roadbumps!) should helpfully and hopefully teach us how to try and make our next big transition less...painful.

Fingers crossed!

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Real Men* enjoy a conversation like this. ;)
Because the question posed doesn't bother them** - they know their role in the world, and there are those who love them and respect them for that and for who they are. Why, don't you?

*for lack of a better term
**I hope to be that sort of real man. Is it wrong for me to want that?

Last edited:

NoGuessing

Buzz
Registered
Reaction score
Pardon me for being harsh and unmacho.

The cultural attitudes being defined as masculine here, which I usually call being macho are the attitudes of teenage boys. That pushy, trying to assert power, playing king of the hill sort of thing. The 'alpha male' idea. That's biologically unsound among other things since our species doesn't have a biggest horns means being the only one who gets to mate.

In any case. At the core of this attitude is a combination of fear, pride, and an unwillingness to see women as human beings worthy of individual respect.

What some call losing masculinity, I call growing up.

Hahaha, this, so much.