A GAME OF THRONES (HBO) -- POSSIBLE SPOILERS

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Just a minor thought regarding Tyrion: He encouraged Danaerys to abandon Jon above the wall. I wonder if Tyrion, through his extensive reading, knows who Jon's parents are and is actively trying to remove Jon and his claim to the Iron Throne. It was his idea to bring back the undead, too, which was arguably a suicide mission.

I don't see where he would have read it. The only thing the book proves is that Rhaegar and Lyanna were married. It's to be seen if it says they had a child, and even then, it's unlikely his name is listed as Jon.

We've crossed paths before with characters who knew the truth about Rhaegar and Lyanna but it seems only Ned (and Meera's father?) knew anything about a child. If anyone suspects Jon is Lyanna's child, I'd think that person is Littlefinger. But even he has not shown near enough interest in Jon for that to be the case. With the right information, though, he may be the person to confirm it.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
New theory time. Catelyn Stark wakes up as Ned walks out of the shower and realizes it was all a dream.
And she recounts the dream to Ned and he declines the offer to be King's Hand, and stays in the North, avoiding King's Landing like the plague. The End.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
FINALE SPOILERS FINALE SPOILERS

Brienne and the Hound reuniting and catching up about Arya was great. They're welcome to do a spinoff with these two, or Bronn and Pod.

I have to say I'm surprised by that death. I thought that character would've made it closer to the end, but more so surprised that his end came in a way that didn't reveal his crimes to more characters. That said, if his death stays a secret to those in the room, Arya has gained a very, very useful face.

As for the other "big" moment, we got a confirmation. I'm glad Sam knows, and will likely be the one to tell Jon. As for the hook up that came with it, I'm fine with it in theory but I don't think the show earned it. They were together for only a few episodes before Tyron told her he's in love with her; it just didn't ring true. I wish they'd put the two characters together better and maybe this would have felt as significant as it should.

Last edited:

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. Can Bran warg into dead things? Seems unlikely to me. And it was my impression that the dead are controlled by the one that turns them (kill the wight and the dead all fall). Do they even have a brain for Bran to warg into? Does the dragon? I don't see that as an option. Seems like the easiest solution, if it were possible (which I don't believe it is) would be for Bran to just warg into the Night King and stop the war all together.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. Can Bran warg into dead things? Seems unlikely to me. And it was my impression that the dead are controlled by the one that turns them (kill the wight and the dead all fall). Do they even have a brain for Bran to warg into? Does the dragon? I don't see that as an option. Seems like the easiest solution, if it were possible (which I don't believe it is) would be for Bran to just warg into the Night King and stop the war all together.

Speaking of that (HOLY CRAP!!!!!) scene, I think it was very intentional that there was one person there the Night King should not be able to turn - which also means someone else can't be. Fire isn't just for dragons...

Last edited:

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of that (HOLY CRAP!!!!!) scene, I think it was very intentional that there was one person there the Night King should not be able to turn - which also means someone else can't be. Fire isn't just for dragons...
I thought the same things at the time!

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I hope that the wight's vulnerability to Valyrian Steel means that Littlefinger won't turn.

It's good to see a lot of those blades heading north. Longclaw (Jon), Oathkeeper (Brienne), Widow's Wail (Jaime) and. Heartsbane (Sam). There's also a theory that Beric's flaming sword is Dawn, Arthur Dayne's sword.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Liked that episode very much. Happy to see Sansa and Arya were doing the playing, not getting played. That's the way it should have been.

Of course, now Jon is screwing his aunt, or Dany is screwing her nephew. Jaime and Cersei are no longer leading the "ick" department...

Loved all of the reunions, though. That was well done, imo.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I keep running over all the screw-ups that led to this whole thing.

Robert basically started a war because the woman he was supposed to marry fell in love with someone else and ran away. Maybe she could have left a note or something? But no, he and the Starks are left to believe she's been kidnapped so they challenge the king; the king kills Ned's father and brother and Robert's Rebellion is born.

Fifteen years later, Littlefinger arranges the murder of Robert and Ned's mentor, frames the Lannisters and sets off the war of the five kings.

No one is fighting for what they think they are. No one is right, no matter how righteous their anger or how dedicated they are. Even the Night's Watch, while they're now focused on the dead, they spent so many years hating Wildlings, they forgot the real threat was even there.

Daenerys is the only one who has the right idea. The only way out is to break the wheel.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It was a good episode. I knew the sisters were working together. CWatts, I would think that regardless of the Valeryian Steel being the cause of death, the NorthMen are smart enough to burn their dead.

The Hound was charming as ever. I like his reunion with Brienne and how he was relieved to know Arya was still alive and able to protect herself. His confronting his brother was well done.

Jamie is finally realizing how far gone and full of hate Cersei really is. Although I will say, I was surprised to see her not kill Tyrion when she had the chance.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
The grand irony of the game --

If Cersei had simply not waged war on Tyrion, no force in the world could have stood against his counsel, her ruthlessness, and Jaimie's devotion. They would have made a 3-headed lion that could have laid waste to the 7-kingdoms.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The grand irony of the game --

If Cersei had simply not waged war on Tyrion, no force in the world could have stood against his counsel, her ruthlessness, and Jaimie's devotion. They would have made a 3-headed lion that could have laid waste to the 7-kingdoms.

Yup yup yup

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I think it was very intentional that there was one person there the Night King should not be able to turn - which also means someone else can't be.

That actually had not crossed my mind, I suppose partially because I'm not anticipating Jon dying again until, you know, it's real (and I don't think he's getting out of this show alive). But I wonder if it's almost the opposite? They're "dead" and the Night's King can control the dead...

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
I was pretty sure that Dany and Jon would get it on but it sort of felt flat for me. No kiss or anything, just straight to that. Although they did seem very attracted to each other. But they are related! Yikes!

I loved Sansa and Arya playing Littlefinger. He deserved what he got.

Now the wait begins...

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I had thought the whole point was that Robert knew Lyanna had eloped but he lied about it and said she must have been kidnapped because pride.

anakhouri79

Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking and I realized why I feel let down by the last couple GoT episodes. It's because I can see the writers' hands at work. I can see them sitting at the table, figuring out how to move people into place. I can see them plotting. With really good writing, you don't see the author at all. The plot grows organically out of the characters' natures and the choices they make. It feels grown, not written. I can see you, GoT writers. And you need to disappear next season.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I was thinking and I realized why I feel let down by the last couple GoT episodes. It's because I can see the writers' hands at work. I can see them sitting at the table, figuring out how to move people into place. I can see them plotting. With really good writing, you don't see the author at all. The plot grows organically out of the characters' natures and the choices they make. It feels grown, not written. I can see you, GoT writers. And you need to disappear next season.
The finale was the only episode the whole season where I didn't feel like I was watching a summary of the story instead of the whole story.

I just felt it lacked depth and flavor all season. You may have hit on the reason. Isn't it Elmore Leonard that said "Erase anything that sounds like writing," or something to that effect? This feels like writing, not genuine events unfolding.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Will someone rep me the name of the character the Night's King couldn't turn? I didn't get to see that part.

Me too please

anakhouri79

Registered
Reaction score
You mean Coldhands aka Benjen Stark? The character who exists in the show only as a plot convenience to save others? IIRC he had some dragonglass buried somewhere in his body so he didn't go full zombie.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Will someone rep me the name of the character the Night's King couldn't turn? I didn't get to see that part.

Nothing actually happened in the episode to suggest this. But when Eastwatch fell, Berric and Tormund were there. One of them may be more "special" and therefore immune to the Night's King.