Buy books by AWers

 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Fantasy Island Book Publishing

  1. #1
    Making it up as I go along... TheOneTrueBen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    55

    Fantasy Island Book Publishing

    Hey folks. Has anyone heard of an outfit called Fantasy Island Books? I have a writing buddy who heard some good stuff about them, but they're not recommended on pred-ed.com. I'm usually one to trust preditors & editors, but I like to have a good reason when I give a recommendation to avoid a company. Anyone here have any more info on them?

    As always I REALLY appreciate the input.
    I am The One, True Ben. Accept no substitutes or replacements.
    Author of Zompoc Survivor: Exodus and The Demon's Apprentice series.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Making it up as I go along... TheOneTrueBen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    55
    Yes, that one exactly.
    I am The One, True Ben. Accept no substitutes or replacements.
    Author of Zompoc Survivor: Exodus and The Demon's Apprentice series.

  4. #4
    Crazy Young Cat Lady roseangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Off in my head.
    Posts
    510
    Outside of the fact that the editors there have no professional experience outside of Fantasy Island Books?
    At least, that's the impression I am getting from the bios there.
    And as I read the about us page, the way things are phrased makes me think you have to pay to be published by them.
    Avatar by linnpuzzle.

  5. #5
    Fighting off ninja plot bunnies saphirablue84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    51
    The only thing I know about them is that a friend of mine is published through them and she seems pretty happy. Wish I could tell you more.

  6. #6
    Making it up as I go along... TheOneTrueBen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by saphirablue84 View Post
    The only thing I know about them is that a friend of mine is published through them and she seems pretty happy. Wish I could tell you more.
    Do you mind sharing the name she writes under? I'm also interested to see how their authors do on Amazon. I've found some less than savory info in my own research, but I'm not one to take things at face value without more corroboration.
    I am The One, True Ben. Accept no substitutes or replacements.
    Author of Zompoc Survivor: Exodus and The Demon's Apprentice series.

  7. #7
    Needs More Hands.... Fallen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    West Madlands UK
    Posts
    5,171
    On FIB's 'About Us' page:

    Co-operative publishing.

    [Their] co-operative publishing solution provides a full service publisher at a reasonable price.
    http://www.fantasyislandbookpublishing.com/about-us

    I wonder what prompted the change over to co-operative publishing? They've been publishing since 2008, but switched over to co-op in 2011.
    Last edited by Fallen; 03-28-2012 at 03:11 PM.
    M/M author signing event July 2017, UK: shiMMer
    Author Website: Jack L. Pyke
    Reviews: Goodreads



  8. #8
    Murder isn't so bad...
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,720
    Holy crap! I believe this post speaks for itself: http://the-scribes-ass.blogspot.com/...shing.html?m=1

  9. #9
    the world is at my command jennontheisland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    down by the bay
    Posts
    7,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    On FIB's 'About Us' page:



    http://www.fantasyislandbookpublishing.com/about-us

    I wonder what prompted the change over to co-operative publishing? They've been publishing since 2008, but switched over to co-op in 2011.
    Probably they weren't selling enough books to make money.

    Charging authors to publish is a much faster, cheaper, and easier way to make money than developing and implementing an effective marketing plan.
    You are more than welcome to take anything I say personally, whether it was intended that way or not.

    Eat This.

  10. #10
    Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Far from the madding crowd
    Posts
    6,668
    Quote Originally Posted by MysteryRiter View Post
    Holy crap! I believe this post speaks for itself: http://the-scribes-ass.blogspot.com/...shing.html?m=1
    Yeah. And possibly not in the way it intends. Looks like someone has a big axe to grind.

    - Victoria

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
    Yeah. And possibly not in the way it intends. Looks like someone has a big axe to grind.

    - Victoria
    That's exactly what I thought.

    Also agree with jennontheisland, co-op publishing makes it much easer for the publisher to make money on a vanity press. They don't have to worry about pesky things like selling books 8)

  12. #12
    Fighting off ninja plot bunnies saphirablue84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneTrueBen View Post
    Do you mind sharing the name she writes under? I'm also interested to see how their authors do on Amazon. I've found some less than savory info in my own research, but I'm not one to take things at face value without more corroboration.
    Her name is Lili Tufel, the author of Sand. A wonderful book that she self published for a while before going with them. As I've said before, she seems pretty happy and that's all I can say since I haven't dealt with them personally.

  13. #13
    Needs More Hands.... Fallen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    West Madlands UK
    Posts
    5,171
    Quote Originally Posted by jennontheisland View Post
    Probably they weren't selling enough books to make money.

    Charging authors to publish is a much faster, cheaper, and easier way to make money than developing and implementing an effective marketing plan.
    Thank you. There's no mention of the charges either. Makes me feel even more uncomfortable.
    M/M author signing event July 2017, UK: shiMMer
    Author Website: Jack L. Pyke
    Reviews: Goodreads



  14. #14
    volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    27,879
    I suspect it is 'not recommended' on Preditors and Editors for a reason.

    And Piers Anthony says: "I list this only to report that they are ripping off authors and libeling those who protest; there's a lawsuit. Stay away."

    I would not ignore the combination of those two warnings without finding out what they were based on first.
    Emily Veinglory

  15. #15
    Writer is as Writer does Terie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    4,153
    Quote Originally Posted by saphirablue84 View Post
    Her name is Lili Tufel, the author of Sand. A wonderful book that she self published for a while before going with them.
    The thing is that if she went with a co-op publisher the second time around, she's still essentially self-published, except for the part where now it qualifies more as vanity published. Co-op publishing is just another form of vanity publishing; it's not commercial publishing.
    Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesn’t equal winning at life.

    The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

    Author website | Author blog

  16. #16
    Fighting off ninja plot bunnies saphirablue84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Terie View Post
    The thing is that if she went with a co-op publisher the second time around, she's still essentially self-published, except for the part where now it qualifies more as vanity published. Co-op publishing is just another form of vanity publishing; it's not commercial publishing.
    What I meant by that was that she published through Smashwords/Amazon (I believe. Don't quote me on that one,) before going with them. I count self publishing and co-op/vanity as two different things. And like I've said before, she seems happy with them and since I can't/don't speak for her, that's all I know and can tell you.

  17. #17
    Writer is as Writer does Terie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    4,153
    Quote Originally Posted by saphirablue84 View Post
    What I meant by that was that she published through Smashwords/Amazon (I believe. Don't quote me on that one,) before going with them. I count self publishing and co-op/vanity as two different things. And like I've said before, she seems happy with them and since I can't/don't speak for her, that's all I know and can tell you.
    Yes, publishing through Smashwords/Amazon is self-publishing. Where the author keeps all profits.

    Co-op publishing is a form of vanity publishing, wherein the author pays someone else and then only keeps some of the profits.

    IOW, vanity/co-op publishing is a step down from self-publishing.

    It's nice your friend is happy so far, but the bottom line is that instead of putting all the profits into her own pocket, she paid someone else money who then also gets to keep a portion of the profits, too. I can't wrap my head around how that's better.
    Last edited by Terie; 03-29-2012 at 10:34 AM.
    Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesn’t equal winning at life.

    The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

    Author website | Author blog

  18. #18
    Fighting off ninja plot bunnies saphirablue84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Terie View Post
    It's nice your friend is happy so far, but the bottom line is that instead of putting all the profits into her own pocket, she paid someone else money who then also gets to keep a portion of the profits, too. I can't wrap my head around how that's better.
    I'm not saying it is. I'm also not saying that it isn't because I don't know her exact arrangement with them. She's happy and I support her choices even though it wouldn't be my own. I still support her and her book 100%!

    This is a choice all of us must make really. Some will choose the agent path to the big prize, (my chosen path.) Some will choose the total self publish path, (many friends have done this & I support them all the same.) And some will choose the co-op/vanity path. While I will and have spoken against some of these business because a friend was going to be ripped off unknowingly, I support the ones who make their choice with eyes wide open. While I'm not taking that path, nor do I really recommend it, I truly only want them to be happy with the choice they make. Besides, it's not mine to make for them anyway.

    To each their own, right?

  19. #19
    Making it up as I go along... TheOneTrueBen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    55
    Starting with the not recommended at Pred-Ed, then the news of the lawsuit, plus the fee charging aspect of it (also found the axe-grinders, but again, even I have a hater, so I wasn't going to take that on its own merits without some corroboration), I think I know what I need to.

    Thanks, everyone, for the input. The fee charging alone was enough for a solid no, once I found it.

    Saphira, one thing that bothered me was that the "editor" put his name on the credits of the book your friend Lili wrote, when in most cases I've seen, the editor only gets credit when it's an anthology or other story collection, not when it's a single author book. Something about that doesn't feel right to me. Can't put my finger on it, but I just don't like it.

    Definitely telling my writing buddy to steer clear of these people for now.
    I am The One, True Ben. Accept no substitutes or replacements.
    Author of Zompoc Survivor: Exodus and The Demon's Apprentice series.

  20. #20
    Fighting off ninja plot bunnies saphirablue84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneTrueBen View Post
    Saphira, one thing that bothered me was that the "editor" put his name on the credits of the book your friend Lili wrote, when in most cases I've seen, the editor only gets credit when it's an anthology or other story collection, not when it's a single author book. Something about that doesn't feel right to me. Can't put my finger on it, but I just don't like it.
    I had to ask a friend to look at their copy, (since it's newer than mine,) about that. I had no clue that the editor's name was on the credits because I have the original kindle edition. And I understand what you mean.

    I'm still supporting her and her book because I love it and her. In no way is my support for the publisher because I fell in love with the book before they came into the picture, which says it all to me.

  21. #21
    Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Coastal Desert
    Posts
    13,060
    In any case, the only books left on the site are Mr. Hall's. Going by Amazon, stopped publishing mid-'12.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

    II 2016: 2017:

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search