a word for people without powers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Hi -
I was thinking that we can say someone is 'a mage', or say, 'mage-born' or is 'a shapeshifter'. There are a lot of words to describe how different people have powers, but in a world where people have powers, how do you refer to people without them? 'Normal' seems like painting with a broad brush. 'Mortal' just means a person can die. Wondering what words people might know of to refer to the people in a magical world who are without any magic or supernatural powers.

Deleted member 42

dysmagi plural

dysmagus singualr

Eta: depending on the status/social implications--nulls, normals, norms, deadheads . . .

Last edited by a moderator:

Nimram

sometimes woefully inaccurate
Registered
Reaction score
Are the normals a minority?
I think it depends on who is talking and what that character thinks about them.

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
How are these people viewed? How much of a minority are they? Would they be considered disabled? Would they be viewed sympathetically or discriminated against?

The I'd think about the character using the word. How does this character, personally, view these people and their relation to society?

The word you choose to call them depends a great deal on their place in their society and how they are treated by that society.

I'd say there will probably be quite a few words, one or more for any answer to the above questions.

Disabled, crippled, lacking, powerless, blind, broken, flawed etc. A thesaurus would be handy, but pick a word that you think you can play with and use its connotations to improve your world. I kinda like "lacking" and "flawed" personally, I could have fun with those.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Are the normals a minority?
I think it depends on who is talking and what that character thinks about them.
This.

How are these people viewed? How much of a minority are they? Would they be considered disabled? Would they be viewed sympathetically or discriminated against?

The I'd think about the character using the word. How does this character, personally, view these people and their relation to society?

The word you choose to call them depends a great deal on their place in their society and how they are treated by that society.
and this.

Majority or minority? Are mages taboo (good) or taboo (bad)? There has to be more world building info.

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
If the story were taking place in today's world, they might just be called physically challenged, like anyone else with disabilities.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
We do need a sense of the social status and relative numbers of the magical / non magical.

There's also how the magical view their wn abilities. Is it primarily a matter of power, or do they also perceive the world differently.

So if magicians perceive and manipulate a world of spirits that others can't they might call them spirit- blind or some such.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
metaphysically challenged

apotentious = lacking power, force, efficacy

kiwiviktor81

Cough up blood. Laugh, light cig
Registered
Reaction score
I think it depends on the context, i.e. how derogatory the description. If the powers are seen as a burden and the person describing the lack of them was high-minded, they could be called "the blessed". If the powers are seen as a necessity to survival and the person describing the lack of them was callous, they could be called "the retarded".

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
For that extra insulting flavour, you could go with "impotent". :tongue

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
My Fantasy WIPs are set in our world, and the magic users refer to non-users as humans. The antagonist faction however calls them pets, and sometimes the good guys do too. But I agree with the people who say it depends who's the minority.

brkingsolver

Urban Fantasy Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brkingsolver.com
In my books, those with power are a small minority. They refer to those without power as norms, head-blind or humans (even though they are technically human themselves).

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, wow - totally appreciating all the answers. Very helpful!

(How could I forget 'muggles'? Oh - I know, I haven't actually read any of the HP books ...)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the book I'm writing now, people are just people. People who can do magic are wizards, plain and simple. People who cannot do magic or have some immunity to it are "nul". The vast majority of the world are just people and don't get a special name since it's the unusual ends of the spectrum that are different.

MoLoLu

Registered
Reaction score
I've used:

In scifi work with prevailing augments: skinners, normals and flesh.

In fantasy I've never differenciated. humans are humans. Unless referred to as a mage, it's assumed they're normal.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Nulls... For those with no abilities beyond the five-senses threshold of normal humans, especially in a world wherein exceptions are typically commensurate with power.

Status
Not open for further replies.