AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Kate Hordern Literary Agency

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Kate Hordern Literary Agency

Can anyone provide information?

Thanks!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Looking over their webpage, this concerns me:
    Please consider carefully whether your submission is ready to be perused by an agent. Aspiring authors may obtain information, editorial advice and assessment, before contacting agents, from the following sources:
    It then goes on to list several editorial services. Why should they care if your ms is professionally edited or not?

Edit: apologies, I did not research the recommended services as I should have. Others have chimed in to point out that they are perfectly legit services, and it says nothing bad about this agent that the site links to them.
    Last edited by Katrina S. Forest; 03-27-2012 at 10:09 PM.
    "An honest answer is like a warm hug." - Proverbs 24:26 (The Message)

My short story collection, "The Poisoned City", is now available!

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Probably because they've seen too many manuscripts that were in poor shape.

"wonderfully old-school epic adventure fare"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcvasKnJlV8

Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post
    Probably because they've seen too many manuscripts that were in poor shape.
    Telling authors to have others read their work before submitting and to only send their best work is one thing. Advertising a specific paid service is another. Plus, one of those recommendations is for an author submission service. That doesn't sit right with me.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Keep in mind that such services are viewed differently in the UK than they are in the US. To whit, there isn't nearly the aversion to them o'er there that we have here.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

All three of the Lit services mentioned are completely legit and there are *no* red flags at all regarding their mentioning there as far as I'm concerned. It's the equivalent to going to Random House's website and finding them saying "You probably need an agent. Fine Print Literary and The Andrew Wylie agency are worth looking at". As Caopax says, it's not a weird thing in the UK (unless, naturally, they were promoting a dodgy service, or their own).

I can't tell you anything more other than I've physically seen a couple of Will Randall's books somewhere (probably my local library).

Thanks for the info. I'm sorry if I jumped too quick. I thought manuscript submission services were an unneeded expense regardless of the country. Guess I'm still learning.

I used to work for Kate, she's a good agent with great contacts in the industry. They're a very small agency and she's interested mostly in historical / women's fiction, but every submission gets read, I can promise you that
    www.simonpclark.com
    @sipclark
    Facebook

Represented by Molly Ker Hawn at The Bent Agency

EREN, coming Fall 2014 from Corsair, Constable & Robinson

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by Araenvo View Post
    I used to work for Kate, she's a good agent with great contacts in the industry. They're a very small agency and she's interested mostly in historical / women's fiction, but every submission gets read, I can promise you that
    My novel is historical and also explores female identity. It is good to hear that every submission gets read. According to the website the agency is based in Bristol. Most of the agencies in UK are based in London or Edinburg. Is the location an important factor to consider?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Martina; 03-27-2012 at 11:49 PM.

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Provided they know people in publishing and go to London to meet up with them location is not important.

"wonderfully old-school epic adventure fare"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcvasKnJlV8

With so much done electronically nowadays I wouldn't worry about location of the office. It's in Bristol simply because that's where Kate lives with her family
    www.simonpclark.com
    @sipclark
    Facebook

Represented by Molly Ker Hawn at The Bent Agency

EREN, coming Fall 2014 from Corsair, Constable & Robinson

haz a shiny new book cover Christine N.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    Keep in mind that such services are viewed differently in the UK than they are in the US. To whit, there isn't nearly the aversion to them o'er there that we have here.
    This. I was just going to say, it's more common in the UK than in the US, where it's considered a waste of time and money.

PS, my agent is in Colorado, down the street from another big-name agency (and they are friends). There are a few giant agencies in San Fran and San Diego, CA. In the digital age, it really doesn't matter anymore.
    Christine

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of

Braving the query mountains Cel_Fleur's Avatar
    Anybody had any interactions with this agency recently? Know what their stance on Fantasy (mix) MSs is?
    Silent by day; pretentious by night.

"What is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Currently...juggling the lives in my head.

Braving the query mountains Cel_Fleur's Avatar
    Guessing they're not interested in Fantasy, since I got my one-line R 29/10/14 on a query sent 9/8/14. Much quicker than the six months they [have said] say on the site, though!
    Silent by day; pretentious by night.

"What is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Currently...juggling the lives in my head.