Freelancing without a degree in journalism: Do you have to start at unpaid?

trumpetology

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've done some searching on the site (for: unpaid, etc) and can't seem to find this question answered (although I'm sure it is). If it is, and I'm just blind, paste a link and I'll leave you all alone. :)

I've just finished a PhD in Jazz composition and realized I love writing. I'm interested in turning some of my dissertation topics into articles, but two of the top mags in my field have a no pay policy (on one, if they like it enough to include in print publication, they'll pay you then, but you first publish it for free on their website). Another doesn't state a submission policy and has been slow in answering a query as to the proper procedure to querying.

These are the top three in a very small field.

Question: Is it expected/normal to start a writing career for free and when you have some online presence start pushing for money?

As for lacking a degree, I've studied with a New York Times music critic (one of their few full-time employees) and when I asked what I need to do to pursue writing for that level of paper, he said that my writing is fine, I just need to do it. So now I'm ready to do it. Just wondering what the next step is. (And I'm out of contact with him. Otherwise I'd be bothering him right now!).

Thanks for any help you can offer to a clueless musician :)

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Most of the writers I know don't have a degree in journalism. I don't, and I make a full-time living writing. A degree on something else? I don't think it matters either, unless you're writing for a scientific publication that wants writers who are also experts.

I've never written for free. The first piece I ever wrote sold to Writer's Digest for $180.

trumpetology

Registered
Reaction score
Hi NKOK,

Thanks for the response. Did you send out queries until someone said yes? (I realize how stupid that sounds, but I'm new and confused:) )

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Question: Is it expected/normal to start a writing career for free and when you have some online presence start pushing for money?

As for lacking a degree, I've studied with a New York Times music critic (one of their few full-time employees) and when I asked what I need to do to pursue writing for that level of paper, he said that my writing is fine, I just need to do it.

A lot of people start out in small publications that can't pay, but it's certainly not expected. Also, don't feel you have to work for content mills. That's great encouragement you got from the music critic - run with it, even if it's already collected a bit of dust in the meantime.
Just go ahead and send out pitches and queries to heart's content :) You may luck out, or it may take a while. Only one way of finding out.

The very first newspaper I approached with my very first query ended up offering me a weekly column which I've been writing for five years now. Something like that is a really good score - while it doesn't pay the world, it's a steady income.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Hi NKOK,

Thanks for the response. Did you send out queries until someone said yes? (I realize how stupid that sounds, but I'm new and confused:) )

Actually, WD was the first publication I approached and they bought the piece. It was a bit of a fluke, I think, because after that I did have to send out plenty of queries. But I never wrote for free (except for a piece I wrote for a charity newsletter, but that was because I wanted to help the charity).

I'm doing a lot of web writing now. I write for newsletters, websites, ezines... Pay is ok and MUCH faster. If you're just starting and trying to build a portfolio, you can approach online markets first. They're usually easier to break into.

trumpetology

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the guidance NKOK and Bushrat. If an online site doesn't offer a submission policy and their editor doesn't respond to a request for submission formatting, would you consider that publication not an option, or just submit?

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the guidance NKOK and Bushrat. If an online site doesn't offer a submission policy and their editor doesn't respond to a request for submission formatting, would you consider that publication not an option, or just submit?

They might not have a set of submission guidelines available to easily send off to you. In that case, you are better off just pitching what you want to write for them.

As for writing for free, no one has to start that way. If you have your mind set on specific publications that don't pay, that's fine, but don't think you have to write for free to break into freelancing.

DennisB

Banned
Reaction score
There's absolutely no requirement to have a J degree, or any other. Some pubs do want you to have some sort of platform, though, especially if the readership is expert in the field (as your jazz dissertation would indicate).
But the only way to find out is to submit. You're going to pick up your share of "rejections" along the way, so don't let it bug you.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to work for a living, you can't afford to give away your services for free. The same would be true for any other industry you'd care to enter besides writing.