The misandry of the far right GOP

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Yes, you read the title right. We've had many threads about the misoginy of the current crop of republicans throughout the USA, so this elaboration from the HuffPo about the resistance to gay marriage could be said to provide an example of the misandry of the same people.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kent-greenfield/is-the-sexual-promiscuity_b_1370667.html
In the debate, Jordan Lorence, the Senior Vice President of the Alliance Defense Fund, argued that the main reason we have marriage is not to recognize emotional ties or validate meaningful relationships. Rather, the real reason is to protect society from the promiscuity of straight men. When men and women find themselves in close proximity, he argued, they produce children. It's the nature of men to want to have sex. Marriage is a way to constrain these urges and to channel them into long-term, exclusive commitments so that the children produced have a stable family structure. He bolstered his argument by referencing the decay of the traditional family in the "inner city," and quoting then-candidate Barack Obama's 2008 speech on the need for black men to be good fathers.

Yup.

The reason to ban gay marriage is because straight men are too promiscuous.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder if this kind of histrionics is similar to the rumbling that comes before a volcanic eruption, which will bury the party in a thousand tons of burning, boiling ash.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I doubt it.

Since I'm an equal opportunities bullshit-exposer you can look at what the dems are doing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-gay-marriage/2012/03/23/gIQAnhI3VS_blog.html
Some top Democrats have privately advised Obama’s inner circle that such a move could energize Democrats far beyond the gay community. The discussions have centered on Obama’s successful repeal of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, and how it has signaled that major advances on gay rights energize young voters and other progressive Democrats,by helping recapure the historic and foward-looking aura of 2008, the source says.

“This would help in terms of reinvigorating some of the excitment from 2008,” the source says, characterizing the discussions. “It’s not just about gay people. There’s an upside with the progressive community and young people in general. Obama's advisers are in listening mode.”

So, the dems won't come around (possibly) to champion equal protection under the laws because it is the right thing to do, but rather because it might provide an up-tick in the stats. By that token, we could also see what we've seen before: the dems won't do the right thing because they're afraid of down-ticks in the same stats.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I doubt it.

Since I'm an equal opportunities bullshit-exposer you can look at what the dems are doing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-gay-marriage/2012/03/23/gIQAnhI3VS_blog.html

So, the dems won't come around (possibly) to champion equal protection under the laws because it is the right thing to do, but rather because it might provide an up-tick in the stats. By that token, we could also see what we've seen before: the dems won't do the right thing because they're afraid of down-ticks in the same stats.

Almost every governmental decision in a Republic is made from such a calculus. I don't like it for things like this, but it is what the system is set up to do, have the government make real the collective will of the people.

That it is also supposed to protect individuals and promote their rights is one of the inevitable tensions. But, and I know this isn't a fashionable view that's largely the role of the judiciary. It's why they have lifetime appointments, so as to be free of electoral calculus.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Almost every governmental decision in a Republic is made from such a calculus. I don't like it for things like this, but it is what the system is set up to do, have the government make real the collective will of the people.

That it is also supposed to protect individuals and promote their rights is one of the inevitable tensions. But, and I know this isn't a fashionable view that's largely the role of the judiciary. It's why they have lifetime appointments, so as to be free of electoral calculus.

Then according to that logic, the misoginy-people around have every right to outlaw abortion, deny women contraception and even job opportunities, if it's the so called collective will of the people?

I deny that government has a right to make that call. I hope that leaders do the right thing, and that when there is injustice and inequality they will do what they are supposed to and lead. Rather than follow, even if the polls and trends show they might lose marginally.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Then according to that logic, the misoginy-people around have every right to outlaw abortion, deny women contraception and even job opportunities, if it's the so called collective will of the people?

I deny that government has a right to make that call. I hope that leaders do the right thing, and that when there is injustice and inequality they will do what they are supposed to and lead. Rather than follow, even if the polls and trends show they might lose marginally.

You miss my point. I don't agree with these laws at all, I'm saying that the universal assertion that you can't legislate right and wrong is inaccurate.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have not made such an assertion, because such an assertion would clearly be silly. Murder is immoral, and is legislated.

But the assertion I do make is that pragmatism in the face of injustice is nearly as immoral as pushing injust laws.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I have not made such an assertion, because such an assertion would clearly be silly. Murder is immoral, and is legislated.

But the assertion I do make is that pragmatism in the face of injustice is nearly as immoral as pushing injust laws.

I mostly agree with you, but it depends on the pragmatism. Paying ransom to kidnappers is pragmatic, but I don't think it's immoral for a family to do it to get someone back. Paying protection money, on the other hand, I think is bad pragmatism.

For civil rights laws of all kinds there is an absolute truth that everyone should be treated equally. But societies tend to not work that way. So is an incrementalist approach to getting rights for those to whom society denies them an immoral approach?

I think it depends. In some cases one should take the incremental approach while always pointing out that it's not enough until all are free and equal. I say that from the pragmatic view that the steps up usually make it easier to take the next steps.

On the other hand, incrementalism is a tactic and if there is an opportunity to jump past the steps and reach for the whole it should be taken.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
To be fair, Max, the quote is both misandrist and misogynist. It asserts that (straight) women have no control over sexuality and no agency within sexuality, that we're just slaves to (straight) male sexual drive.

Anyway, I want gay marriage legal, like, yesterday, and it doesn't affect me quite as personally as misogyny does, but I am quite passionate about all civil rights issues. But when Obama says he is "evolving" on gay marriage, I hear codespeak for "wait until my second term, guys." Insofar as pragmatism is concerned, I'd rather have gay marriage legal in a year or two and staying that way, rather than legal this moment and overturned by Republicans in a year or two. Also, Obama can't pass laws on his own; he needs a decent-sized majority in both houses of Congress. 'Til he has that, his hands are tied.

Though I do wonder how it would fly. Family law is the only kind of law that's almost entirely regulated by the states. I don't think that's a particularly good thing, but it makes sense as the family is such a small unit that it's just difficult to deal with at the national level.

But, and I know this isn't a fashionable view that's largely the role of the judiciary. It's why they have lifetime appointments, so as to be free of electoral calculus.

I totally agree with this. First of all, civil rights for a minority should never be decided by the tyranny of the majority. Secondly, on the pragmatic level, I'd rather see the judiciary rule discrimination against gays unconstitutional than laws originating in Congress granting equal protection for gay folks. If the judiciary decides it, it's over and done. If Congress does, then you can have new laws every electoral cycle. Oh, right now gay marriage is cool, but a few years from now it'll be civil unions, and after that no union at all, then back to civil unions, etc. That at least has the potential to happen. Even new constitutional amendments can be revoked. Court judgments can be reversed by the court system, too, but I don't think I can recall a single time when civil rights were rolled backward by the courts. In other words, for an analogy, I'm more comfortable with Roe v. Wade than I would be with a national law forbidding the illegalization of abortion by the states. Though mileage may certainly vary, and I know that I might feel differently if I were a grown woman in 1970 and had to pick between, say, reproductive rights now versus much more immutable reproductive rights three years later.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Yorkist pretty much covered my view of the topic. Good post!

I will add that I am angry at the Democrats in Congress, and Obama too to a certain extent, about civil rights issues when it comes to LBGT topics. The party that fights for civil rights could do much better, imho. Since when are civil rights negotiable in a modern society?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Yorkist pretty much covered my view of the topic. Good post!

I will add that I am angry at the Democrats in Congress, and Obama too to a certain extent, about civil rights issues when it comes to LBGT topics. The party that fights for civil rights could do much better, imho. Since when are civil rights negotiable in a modern society?
This is a real problem in a political world.

Consider the following scenario:

You are personally supporter of gay rights, including marriage rights. You are running for congress, and your opponent, the incumbent, is a homophobe and staunch opponent of gay marriage, gay adoption, and in fact, gay anything. He has introduced bills to ban gay teachers in elementary schools.

You live in a conservative district, and although the incumbent is not particularly well liked, has solid support among conservatives.

You are asked if you favor gay marriage. If you say yes, you will lose the election. So, do you say yes, assuring the conservative incumbent reelection and subsequent freedom to pursue a gay bashing agenda?

Or do you waffle, come out for civil unions, but declare your support for "traditional" marriage, and bide your time?

In other words, do you take the pragmatic approach, work incrementally for equality, and lie about your beliefs, or stand on principle -- which allows the homophobe to remain in office?

Politicians are faced with this type of choice every day. It's usually dismissed as "they'll say anything to get elected and stay in power."

But it's not that simple.

What if you and a few others like you would tip the balance of power, enabling you to promote countless other programs addressing environmental laws -- or a decision to go to war? But your principled stand on gay marriage will result in very bad things happening in other vital areas?

People with unyielding moral beliefs and unshakeable principles do well as activists and proponents for causes. They do not get elected. And laws cannot be changed by activists, no matter how just their cause. They can and do influence decisions, but in the end, laws are only changed by legislators.

I too am disappointed in the Democratic record here, but political realities are something that have to be faced.

I'm not advocating abandonment of principle. Just saying that the issues involved are difficult and complicated, and it's always going to be a tough call.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
On the whole, more pragmatism and less principle would be a good thing - progress might actually be possible under such a scenario. But only if both parties participate, rather than just one of them.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's the nature of men to want to have sex. Marriage is a way to constrain these urges and to channel them into long-term, exclusive commitments so that the children produced have a stable family structure.

Wow. That makes marriage sound incredibly lame.