2012 Formula 1: The year of the platypus.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
So?
Was Melbourne an indicator?
Has the Redbull been slain?
Is it MacLaren and Jenson Button's year?

Does Whamilton still have a punch?
Can Michael and Ross get that elusive podium and put Mercedes back into the mix...

And what about... Ferrari?

*for that matter, how will Rubens do in Indycar?*

I can't be the only one here that cares... or can I?

Anyone?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
You know, I'm still waiting for Nico Rosberg to break big. I love him.

Our satellite went out and my recording of Malaysia was dorked, but I can't say I'm sorry not to hear Vettel droning on and on every damned race.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Sheila, it's Formula One Auto Racing - some call it the world's most elite form of motor sport - The number two driver for Ferrari makes 16 million a year... heh.

So what? Well, umm, they are all paid well, are quit fit, speak various languages, travel the world, and some of them look like this:

mark-webber-12-01.jpg

*Mark Webber*

*drools*

Maylasia had a one hour rain delay.
Fernado Alonzo won...
(and how he did it in that car is a mystery to everyone)

Nico's a real looker too! ;)

rosberg-1.jpg

Sheila Muirenn

Rebuilding My Brain
Registered
Reaction score
Ah! You've good taste Kelly.

I don't have television, so lack a little sometimes in 'what's going on' category! ;)

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I went TV-less for several years. I enjoyed it. =)

I'm not sure good taste has anything to do with young, fit, well versed, rich, European men in cute little jumpsuits...

But if you say so. ;)

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I was very impressed with Perez and how well he's done in the first two races of the season.

I think the new changes to the exhaust are really showing the limits of Red Bull and specifically, Vettel's driving style. If you watch him, he barrels into a corner hard and literally jumps the back end, then punches the throttle. This is only possible with good downforce on the rear. As he does not have this, he can't slam into the corners like before.

Also, I'm beginning to question a few things about F1 and just how legitimate the results are. Perez was backed off of Massa by his team because they didn't want to make Ferrari mad by beating them with their own parts. And Bernie has publicly said he didn't want Vettel to repeat as a champion. I really hope that he doesn't turn the sport into Professional Wrestling on wheels. Fixed races are a betrayal to fans.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I have to agree that the Red Bull tean isn't where they want to be. The Ferrari's as well had issues with being very wiggly, and we don't know what the FIA is going to say about the Mercedes f-duct rules interpretation... That 'mysterious' Sauber team radio transmission to Perez about passing your engine supplier was hysterical! - and yet terribly ill-conceived.

Perez, Maldonado, & Grosjean, all look to be in great form!

The season really looks like anyone can have it! Of course if you were to ask me who I'd like to see win it? I'd go with the sentimental favorite of a Senna in a Williams-Renault.
But I seriously doubt...

As for Bernie, he can't control a race. There's just too many things, like rain... so he can say what he'd like to see, but I doubt he'll get it, and Professional Wrestling on wheels? I feel like we might already have that here in the states. It could be why one of the world's best drivers can't get a win in one of those oval things... but discretion won't let me say another word more.

;)

Whatever happens? I don't believe Melbourne, or Malaysia, are going to be the 'standards' by which this season crowns a champion.

*not bad for a girl huh?* ;)

*Go Juan Pablo! Go!*

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I didn't check out your profile so I didn't know you really were a girl. No offense.

I used to work at a dirt track and there was a 15 year-old girl who could out-drive a lot of folks. She was just doing that for fun until she could graduate early and go to medical school. Yeah, she was that impressive.

I cannot stand NASCAR. I hate the fans and I hate the way the fans act around the sport. Of course, not having been to an F1 race, they might have drunken supporters of one team picking fights with the drunken crews of another team, too.

I'm wary of Bernie. You're right, there is a ton of stuff he cannot control but there is enough he can that makes things questionable. And I hope they do come down on Perez's team for making that comment. Ferrari should be embarrassed that somebody even thought of such a thing.

Massa is probably on his way out anyways and Perez is the most likely guy to go to Ferrari. And with each race my respect for Team Ferrari goes down.

You're right, this season is really up for grabs right now and that's part of the fun. I'm hoping Schumacher gets back on the podium because I really like the idea of an amazing champion like that coming back to show people how it is done.

Are you planning on going to the race in Austin this year?

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Will Austin be ready this year? and isn't the New Jersey street course still planned for November. Can you imagine? November...

Austin is 3/4 the ways across the country for me by train.
I can drive to Jersey in 5 hours...

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Austin should be good to go, but I don't think Jersey's on the calendar this year.

We've looked in to going to the Austin race, but if the psycho hotel prices are any indication of how badly they're going to gouge everyone on the tickets, then it will likely be out of our reach.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
That doesn't work too well if you want to be there for the race weekend. Friday practice and qualifying are very cool, especially if you never get to see these cars up close.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
I wish I had more interest in F1. I saw the new Mercedes car in the flesh a month or two before it was officially revealed, which was pretty cool even for a non-fan like me. They had a blanket over the gear box which only served to make me really want to see it - wouldn't have noticed it if it were uncovered. :p

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
They had a blanket over the gear box which only served to make me really want to see it - wouldn't have noticed it if it were uncovered. :p
Oh they have a huge issue with technology and innovation poaching. Michael Schumacher almost had a tantrum before the first race. He'd lost his car in the gravel run-off and couldn't drive it out, so they had to use a crane. He almost popped a vein in his forehead impressing upon the track marshals not too lift the car too high into the air, presumably to keep the underguts private for Mercedes' collective blood pressure.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
The guy I sit next to at work was telling me yesterday about how on manufacturer (I think it was Lotus?) designed some new aerodynamic technology or something, but it was impossible to hide. So instead, they erected this big gazebo type thing to cover the car every time they worked on the gearbox, and everyone assumed it was some new design there that was getting them their faster times. :D

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I'm still waiting for Nico Rosberg to break big. I love him.

Nico! Nico! Nico!

Wow! Amazing, dumbfounding, record setting!

Nico Roseberg becomes the first Mercedes driver to set pole in a formula one race in 57 years!!! The last driver to do so was the legendary Fazio in 1955.

Mercedes starts 1-2 in China*!
*Hamilton had qualified second, but a gearbox change penalty moves him back 5 grid places*

Christian Vettel never made Q3?

This is seriously going to be the wildest if not strangest F1 season in years!

I'm loving it!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I know! I was traveling this weekend so I had the taped qualifying and race waiting for me when I got home. I'm so pleased for him. I've loved that guy for years.

Many, many returns, Nico! Hope the top step is your home often.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Okay then....

Qualifying is over for Bahrain.

A one-two Red Bull!

*Not to be confused with a one-two Mercedes*
*or a one-two McLaren*

This is just weird on top of weird. :)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, and Formula 1 on the front page of CNN.com's U.S. version is pretty weird.

I don't think F1 should be in Bahrain this year.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
So? I can't be the only one here that cares... or can I? Anyone?

I think you'll get a number of Brits and Europeans who'd be interested. My country hosts the only night race and it is all glitzy with big stars in town at that time and I still don't care. My husband is a big fan and so are my 20-yearold twins who have watched nearly every race since they were 10. Still, I don't care.

I think they should ban a sport which burns so much petrol. It really is outrageous that normal people like my family turn into zombies, eyes glued to the TV screen, empty stomachs willing to delay dinner, while cars go round and round a track at break-neck speed and bursting some ear drums in the process.

After all that, I still have to say - Button is a cutie and I like Massa because I think he's a nice guy. Schumacher had his glory days and they're over. he should just bow out gracefully.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I wish I could keep awake for the races this season. F1 races on TV are better than knock-out pills for this as of late. Doesn't even matter what time of day the race is on, I fall asleep. Good races, too.

The tire issue should be interesting in Texas.