AW Amazon Affiliate Store

confused by self-publishing? Find your way to self-publishing success in just 5 easy steps with this free how-to guide!

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

Thread: What's bugging you in the novel you're reading?

Sophipygian AW Moderator Alessandra Kelley's Avatar
    A fantasy novel set in a detailed fantasy world with gods walking around and magic and the ruling caste has an impossible palace spread in the sky ...

with "ladies' rooms" with stalls and sinks with taps in front of mirrors.

Power to the pen! Taylor Harbin's Avatar
    ADVERBS. Sooo many adverbs. I know it's a novel about children, but do they have to do everything "ly"?
    Check out my published work here!

Visit my blog, updated regularly!

http://gutsofimagination.blogspot.com/

Got an old typewriter you want gone? PM me!

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue Snowstorm's Avatar
    A contemporary murder mystery where about 1/3 of it is interspersed reprints of historical memoirs. I know it's so a reader will understand the historical background and the thinking of its adherents, but come on!

Historical romance Tarnished Gold, historical mystery Blood Atonement, and contemporary mystery Clear and Convincing Evidence
    WIP: screenplay Blood Atonement

Blog Twitter Facebook

practical experience, FTW Sunflowerrei's Avatar
    I knew going into it that Les Mis would be a bit of a slog to get through. But I'm in chapter 9 already and we're still talking about the daily routines of the bishop. Where be Jean ValJean? When do I get some conflict?

"Haunted Lake," a short story in FULL DARK: An Anthology
    . Out October 30th! Amazon|B&N

"When Mary Left," a short story| A woman faces her ultimate turning point: an unwanted pregnancy |Amazon|Smashwords|Kobo|Nook|Apple

Pearl | A former slave struggles to find her long-lost brother in the early nineteenth century
    |Amazon|Apple|Kobo|Barnes and Noble|Smashwords

Blog: The Sunflower's Scribbles | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

Come on you stranger, you legend, Devil Ledbetter's Avatar
    I have to resurrect this zombie thread for the book I'm reading. It's a bestselling and highly recommended YA set about 30 years in an extremely internet-centric (and otherwise dystopian) future. I'm only 50 pages in but the sexism in this book is rampant, as if no progress will have been made in that area.

Examples:

A high school teacher's avatar looks like an older male but the MC muses that for all he knows, the teacher could be an Inuit woman in Alaska who uses this avatar to teach because it's the only way she'll be taken seriously. Because of course 30 years into the future women will be considered incompetent, especially if they're women of color and doubly so if they're indigenous. Even for traditionally female roles like school teachers.

The love interest has a hottie avatar but the MC gets a grip by reminding himself that *gasp* the LI might actually be an obese male named Chuck! OMG nooooooz! This female avatar has shown no interest in the MC thus far, but all that matters is her potential to authentically make the MC's dick tingle. This fatphobic, homophobic statement gets double cringe (and sloppy editing) points because the author used the "might be an obese male named Chuck" idea both times this hottie avatar LI has come up. I can only hope whoever the LI really is, she or he has no interest in this sexist shithead lunk of an MC.

The LI shows up armed to the teeth and threatening the MC at a point when he is vulnerable and has something highly valuable to protect. Yet his first reaction isn't I hope she doesn't kill me or steal my valuable thing, it's Oh man she's so haaaaawt. Let's focus on her click-click clacking studded boots!

/rant
    Last edited by Devil Ledbetter; 11-14-2017 at 06:10 PM.

Pearl Jam is Ellie's religion.
    Saint and Tremor Christ just
    need a place to live.
    State of Love & Trust

I Write | I Blog | My Dog

I'm reading a book in which a super nice, super hard working, promising, young, and loved character randomly and grotesquely dies from a bee sting to the neck. If I had skimmed the page I would have missed it.

practical experience, FTW
    Excessive (at least for me) detail in description of settings. I'm reading a P.D. James novel (Death of an Expert Witness), and while I'm enjoying it, she does get carried away with nitpicky and irrelevant setting details in nearly every scene.

caw
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- Terry Pratchett

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910