• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Curiosity Quills Press

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
If you felt confident about your novel when you were querying it before and haven't received any feedback that made you think it needed work before you moved on, there's no reason to panic, but there's also no harm in giving it a read over before submitting.

Also, I found that when my novel was accepted by an editor and it had been over a year since I had touched it, that I was very open to editing suggestions and much more logical about what changes it might need. Sometimes a little separation time is a good thing.

Wormwood

Hoping to grow up one day
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, the further you are removed from that "just finished" high the more open you will be to taking suggestion on editing. You also may have some different insights and idea yourself. After I finished my novel I waited a month then read it again. I came up with some additional material that really improved the ending.

Stan

Puzur
Registered
Reaction score
Have been getting feedback from the point person at CQ (for me at least) on some slight changes they want done (on board with that) and would I be willing to promote the book (of course). So I'm thinking they are looking strongly at me, but one never knows.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, hey, it looks like a got a full request from Alison Heller off a pitch I made on Savvy Authors blog. That's cool.

Stan

Puzur
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if books published with small time presses ever get picked up by one of the legacy presses if they are doing well?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Sigh. It's a term used originally by vanity publishers, and now by a number of self-published authors, to describe commercial advance-paying publishers. As someone here on AW explained to me via PM in 2010, it carries the same insulting tone as 'legacy college'.

Stan, it happens. We see the best examples in glowing announcements in Publishers Weekly. But it's a balancing act. I've listened to editors and agents at conventions, who often basically say 'We look at numbers. If a small-press or self-pub book shows a few hundred or so sales, there may not be a larger market for it. If it's in a niche it might have already sold too well, and flooded its market.' So they're looking for breakout books that could perhaps reach a much larger market.

Stan

Puzur
Registered
Reaction score
Are the big 6 considered legacy presses. That's how I used the term, perhaps incorrectly.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Are the big 6 considered legacy presses. That's how I used the term, perhaps incorrectly.

[This is off topic to this thread, and I'll probably report my own post to see if the forum mod wants to move it somewhere more appropriate.]

See, I work in the high tech industry. I'm also contracted to have a book published by one of the big 5.

The big 5 are trade publishers.

To me, the term "legacy" denotes something outdated or obsolete. Legacy code, legacy servers, a legacy product is a product on its way to being deprecated, as soon as the next generation product is available.

So the idea of a legacy publisher...is a publisher that's on the way out. Which, I do not think the big 5 are. At all. (I know there are people who do think that, and that's fine.)

If you do believe that the big 5 are legacy publishers, then why ask about books being picked up by them? It makes no sense. Why would you care if you think the big 5 are on the way out?

Do books published by smaller presses get picked up by the big 5? On occasion, yes. One of the most famous would probably be 50 Shades of Grey.

Stan

Puzur
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm wrong to think that Legacy publishers and the "Big 5" are synonymous. I think I got that somewhere. Thanks for pointing it out. I care about being picked up by the Big 5 because they're the ones who pay the big advances. Isn't it still true that commercial success still comes more readily and easily through the Big 5?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
If your goal is to be sold to the Big 5, getting that book published elsewhere is not the best course of action. Your best bet is to find an agent who can get your book in front of a Big 5 editor. Can it happen that a book will get picked up from a small publisher? I'm sure it can, but it's got to be a hassle for them since first rights have already gone. Self-publishing is probably (but I could be wrong) less of a hassle for them than acquiring it from a smaller press, but still unlikely.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Isn't it still true that commercial success still comes more readily and easily through the Big 5?

This line and the use of "legacy publishers" makes me wonder if you're trolling us.

Commercial success doesn't come "readily and easily" through any route of publishing, I'm sorry to say. Nobody's in this career for the money -- you'd make better money than most Big 5 midlist authors in a 9 to 5 job.

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
This line and the use of "legacy publishers" makes me wonder if you're trolling us.

I highly doubt it, actually. If you start with no knowledge of how publishing works, and then use Google to try to research it on the web, you end up with pretty much what s/he's saying here.

The misinformation is so ubiquitous and often-repeated that it's incredibly hard to come away from web research about how publishing works without it.

Stan

Puzur
Registered
Reaction score
Have no idea what the hell trolling means. It was a honest question.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Easy, guys, this seems to just be a translation error.

Stan, 'trolling' is what folks do when they jump into online forums and deliberately incite arguments. Sometimes, this is done with ulterior motives, often it's just for the sake of chaos.

As for finding out how commercial trade, small-press, self-pub, vanity, and subsidy publishing all work, a few cursory internet searches probably won't help. A lot of the 'information' will be weighted toward one camp or another. Only by gathering many, many diverse data points, can new authors begin to build an accurate picture.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Sorry Stan, I shouldn't have jumped to that conclusion, that was rash of me. I've been reading too much about the KBoards (Kindle forums) sending people over here to stir up arguments and I had a moment of paranoia.

You're asking some really important, honest questions, and part of AW's purpose is to help out writers and answer questions, so please don't be discouraged by grumpy Scots who respond to your question too sharply. :)

Stan

Puzur
Registered
Reaction score
I have a manuscript with CQ and am supposed to get word any day now if they will take it or not. Of course, everyone's ultimate aim is the big 5, so was wondering if that goal is automatically squashed (for that book) if you go with a small press.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
That goal is not 'automatically' derailed by publishing with a small press, Stan. You've been around AW longer than I have, so you'll have seen the same positive examples discussed.

As I said before, it's a balancing act. Small press and self-published books are getting more consideration from larger publishers now, because commercial agents and editors recognize the role such outlets play in incubating new talent. But a small press or self-published book has to show strong potential vs. little market burnout, for a big press to get interested. Author brand loyalty is another consideration: will the earlier readers embrace a new commercial version, if it's perceived to have value added?

For the average small press book, 5000 sales during life of contract is wonderful. For the average subsidy or vanity-published book, it's a daydream (why many such publishers' guaranteed subsidy refund is predicated on reaching that 5000 copy threshold, which almost never seems to happen.) Some self-published authors get there, but many more bog down at the low three figures.

For the average commercially published genre book (I'll use romance and sci fi, since I know those markets best), 5000 copies in print and/or e-book is a very conservative sales record. For a second novel, it might even be low enough to make the publisher drop the contract.

It's all in perspective, and in how much an author is willing to gamble on first rights.

Elspeth Hall

Registered
Reaction score
As someone asked for updates from people working with them, I thought I'd chip in again, although nothing big has changed from last time.

I'm currently working with an editor on my MS to ready it for publication, and was just shown the first draft of my cover art for approval, which is beyond gorgeous.
Still finding them very open and professional to work with.
I know that the proof of the pudding is in tasty book sales, but I haven't had any reason to regret signing with them thus far.

They seem to be signing more agented authors recently as well (as I am!). Not sure what that means, but putting it out there

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Then I'll be cautiously hopeful for you, Elspeth.

With an added caveat: which agents are working with CQP? In researching other new, small pubs, I've run across 'literary agents' who are sending work to vanity publishers and inexperienced publishers. There are lots of equally inexperienced people calling themselves agents, who don't really understand the business. Some others apparently know exactly what they are doing, and have been caught taking kickbacks from subsidy fees or workshop fees.

I don't know the CQP situation, and I hope that the future shows them as a strong, vibrant press. But merely saying 'well, agents are sending work there' is not an accurate measure of professionalism for either press or agent.

ETA: for what it's worth, CQP is showing some respectable sales ranks on Amazon, with at least nine or ten books listed as having estimated mid three-digit sales in March. So they are making some sales.

Last edited:

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know the CQP situation, and I hope that the future shows them as a strong, vibrant press. But merely saying 'well, agents are sending work there' is not an accurate measure of professionalism for either press or agent..

I sold them a book. You can decide for yourself what kind of agent I am.

ManOfTongues

Coffee, please.
Registered
Reaction score
For anyone who's wondering: that full request I got a month and a half ago turned into a revise and resubmit. I am ecstatic, excited, anxious and nervous all at the same time! :D

- Michael