• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Curiosity Quills Press

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Also, I did a little stalking (aka checked your twitter) but didn't see who you signed with. I'm just curious. Living vicariously through other writers and all :)

mshean

Worst Unicorn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michael-shean.com
I understand CQ expects the author to do a lot of self-promo and I don't expect publishers to babble on about how we're all a family, but something about the aggressive way they word all that and how they just don't care about the author sounds so chilly.

Hi! I'm Michael Shean, and I was one of CQ's first published authors, if not their very first. I can't say much as to the text you're citing - I agree, it's not what I would say - but my experience has been very far from chilly. I've watched CQ grow since day one, and while I haven't always agreed with their process or the directions in which they've gone, the one thing that I believe CQ really does well is caring for their people. Your mileage may vary on everything else, of course. They seem to be really coming together now, at least for a small publisher at such a young phase in their career, and if it's just a perception of a lack of care that's keeping you from submitting I'd really suggest giving them a second look.

Bonnie Ferrante

Bonnie Ferrante
Registered
Reaction score
Website
my.tbaytel.net
I submitted to this "press" myself after being constantly e-stalked by Lisa Gus, one of the owners, and upon further investigation, decided against it. It was one of the most ludicrous "offers" I have ever received. There were several red flags:
1. Most of the "staff" seems to be made up of their own authors
2. Authors constantly blurb and review for each other; in some cases, the book's only reviews came from the book's "editor" (again another writer) or otherwise interested party
3. They pay no advance whatsoever
4. They don't work with a distributor, and have no physical presence in bookstores of any kind
5. They are not in Ingram's- when I asked, I was told they were "working on it"
6. The contract stated that they base their royalty payments on "net profit" after the press has deducted the costs of marketing, distribution, etc.
7. I was asked to publish my full-length novel as a serial first, for which I would be paid nothing but a percentage of the proceeds from a "donate" button on the site; only after the book had been completely serialized, which could take months, would they publish it as an e-book and eventually a soft cover novel via Lightning Source. They would also keep my novel archived as a serial on the site forever, so who would actually pay for it then?
8. When I objected, they actually suggested funding the publication of my novel through Kickstarter rather than use any of their own funds
9. As of this writing, the press has been in operation less than eight months, and as noted above, neither of the owners has any prior publishing experience
Needless to say, I ran, not walked, to the nearest exit.

Thanks for all that info. That really helps. My publisher closed down so I'm looking around.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Bonnie I would keep reading the thread. I think there's some merit to CQ and that some of those policies have changed since that time, now they've been in business over a year. "Net" doesn't mean after marketing, etc... it means that they will pay your royalty on whatever the vendor pays them instead of cover price. It's extremely common in small press.

I have seen their contract, and my agent has said it looks good. No, no advance, but much more comprehensive marketing than most small presses I've dealt with. We're still waiting on some other publishers before we decide.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Okay, point taken. I have to go and look at the contract they sent me again, but I don't remember it being anything odd or something I wouldn't agree to. I wouldn't agree to 'net being after marketing costs'.

*EDIT* -- double checked the contract they sent. Their net is normal net: "These royalty rates are subject to the actual net sales dollar amount paid to the Publisher received from bookstores, distributors, wholesalers, book-clubs, libraries, catalog marketers, direct sales and all other retail and distribution markets except as noted otherwise in this agreement." (meaning if you make some kind of addendum to the agreement)

Their royalty statement/payment schedule is monthly, by the way, much the way Samhain is set up.

Last edited:

GAdler

Registered
Reaction score
Well, sadly (and yet not entirely) my revise and resubmit was almost accepted but ultimately rejected (and by that I mean that the editor I was in contact with was convinced but those above were not). I feel honoured to have gotten so close on a first novel having no experience whatsoever. The editor gave me spectacular feedback in the rejection email and actually explained one of the flaws that I had overlooked. I agreed whole-heartedly and decided to tear the second half of my novel away and rewrite it, correcting the earlier mistake. Since I have literally rewritten the second half of the novel, can I resubmit it to CQ from the first step and call it a new submission? Thank you in advance for any advice.

TCRyan

Sci Fi / Fantasy Author
Registered
Reaction score
CQ

For PitchMAS, I have received 2 separate partial requests from different reps of CQ. I have responded to neither. My logic: The only books they can get on the shelves are either (1) short story anthologies which conveniently donate some proceeds to animal shelters (clever sales hook there!); or (2) print on demand books that the authors have convinced their local bookstore to sell.

From a friend who turned down their contract offer - they want 50% net profit of all sales and all rights (foreign, domestic, film and sequel).

Now, if they're really a "collective" of writers, shouldn't the profit sharing be spread around to all members? (I know, ridiculous thought.) Then they turn around and hire some of their writers as agents / employees. Seems like kind of a pyramid scheme.

LJ Hall

For I am a Rain Dog too
Registered
Reaction score
For PitchMAS, I have received 2 separate partial requests from different reps of CQ. I have responded to neither. My logic: The only books they can get on the shelves are either (1) short story anthologies which conveniently donate some proceeds to animal shelters (clever sales hook there!); or (2) print on demand books that the authors have convinced their local bookstore to sell.

From a friend who turned down their contract offer - they want 50% net profit of all sales and all rights (foreign, domestic, film and sequel).

Now, if they're really a "collective" of writers, shouldn't the profit sharing be spread around to all members? (I know, ridiculous thought.) Then they turn around and hire some of their writers as agents / employees. Seems like kind of a pyramid scheme.

Did your friend negotiate the contract and they insisted on things staying the same, or did she just read the initial offer and walk away? I don't know much about CQ but I know that they sign agented authors, and I can't see agents going along with those terms without negotiating. The way every author should negotiate contracts whether repped or not.

Their sales show up on Publishers Lunch, their ARCs are on Netgalley. It seems like they're pretty legit. And...profit sharing between all their signed writers seems like it would make them less legit, not moreso.

TCRyan

Sci Fi / Fantasy Author
Registered
Reaction score
Did your friend negotiate the contract and they insisted on things staying the same, or did she just read the initial offer and walk away? I don't know much about CQ but I know that they sign agented authors, and I can't see agents going along with those terms without negotiating. The way every author should negotiate contracts whether repped or not.

Their sales show up on Publishers Lunch, their ARCs are on Netgalley. It seems like they're pretty legit. And...profit sharing between all their signed writers seems like it would make them less legit, not moreso.

They didn't budge from what I understand on anything except the terms for the sequel and an exit clause. Their sales are almost entirely from e-books. I don't see the point of sharing profit on something we can all do ourselves.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Unless you are going to pay for NetGalley as well as the other marketing (and I have a contract in hand to refer to, they have an extensive list of marketing venues), then you can't 'do it yourself'. You can put up an ebook, and you can hire a cover artist or "do it yourself" if you have the talent. Some of the things they do are pricey. They are also on the SCBWI PAL list of publishers. So they had to clear some kind of list of requirements.

My agent looked over the contract I was sent she gave it the thumbs up. In the end we got a better offer.

It's a collective in the sense of 'we all work together for the benefit of everyone's sales', NOT a 'we all profit share' sense. As far as I understand it.

I found them to be pleasant and open to work with. They were excited for my book, and I felt bad to decline after they waited so long for an answer. But it's a business and we took the better offer (TBA in the new year).

Elspeth Hall

Registered
Reaction score
I have a contact from them currently.
My agent is negotiating with them on some of the clauses right now, but she has also said it seems like a favorable contract.

I shared some of my doubts with her, but after we both approached the editor there she was able and willing to answer my questions in an honest and open way.
She also put me I touch with some of their other authors to talk to. I got three 'very happy' replies, and one 'a year ago when they were new there were some issues, but things are good now'.
The honesty of that reply made me feel much more confident!

The contract sets out very clearly what they will do to promote your book, including stuff they have to pay for as others have said (eg Netgalley), and is also very clear that they don't charge for any part of the publishing or marketing process.
As for distribution, I was assured that they didn't have the infrastructure there in the past, but that getting physical books into stores (and I specifically asked "is this just local stores at the author's request?") is something they are doing with increasing frequency, and are employing more staff to facilitate for the future.

I trust my agent and her agency which has a good rep, and although I'd hoped for (and got some interest from) big six, I'm happy to be throwing my lot in with CQ.

As soon as I have more feedback on working with them I'll be happy to share.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'd actually love to hear more, when you have the chance and the info. It's too easy to get burned out on the same-old same-old subsidy shuffle, so I like hearing about publishers who are really delivering what they promise.

Good luck to you, and best wishes for the new year!

Fantasy_freak

Registered
Reaction score
For those who subscribe to Publishers Marketplace, Curiosity Quills had a number of audio rights sales to Audible.com reported this week, all for "a very nice deal."

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Staying tuned into this too. I really wish this company the best. They look good on my end....but ya never know. The audio deals sound wonderful tho.

Stan

Puzur
Registered
Reaction score
requested full

After hearing from them last October via a pitch contest on twitter, just today they finally asked for my full after reading my opening chapters.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I decided since I've been hearing great things, to submit too then. I subbed late Dec. I got a response about a month later saying they have received it and will get to it soon, which I thought was really nice.

They said between 4 to 12 weeks. So that could take up till the middle of April then.

Good luck on your full, Stan. There's an AWer here that just signed with them recently. They look like a great place to work with.

Elspeth Hall

Registered
Reaction score
Well I said I would update if things moved forwards, so here it is-
My agent sent them the revisions we wanted on the contract, and they were very accommodating and professional. After some back and forth they made most of the concessions we wanted.
I was happy to sign with them and they've been great with communication and offering help so far.

They have a great style guide and a lot of freedom as far as input on the cover goes. I know the cover isn't a deal breaker, but for someone who has worked as an illustrator for years it's nice to see care being taken.

The timeline for the editing and marketing process has been clearly laid out, and I'm officially feeling excited to move ahead with them.

Stan

Puzur
Registered
Reaction score
My latest is that the person who read the book will be pitching it to her boss this week. She liked it. Fingers crossed.

ManOfTongues

Coffee, please.
Registered
Reaction score
I queried (letter and first three chapters) these guys last September and was told they'd get back to me in 4 to 8 weeks. 5 months later, I've been requested for a full. Though I am ecstatic, I must admit that I assumed that they had passed on my manuscript and I have since moved on to a different project entirely and am querying it right now.

Any advice on what I should do? I'm going to submit my manuscript to them for sure, but I feel out of touch with it since I've semi-given up on it. Should I submit and see what happens or should I attempt a quick read-through/edit? Does anyone have experience with these guys? Is this kind of wait time normal despite their 4 to 8 week claim? :/

Any advice is great :)

- Michael

EDIT: Also, through reading this thread, I'm seeing some dodgy things. Any new developments from any of the people who have been working with CQ?

Last edited: