African American Romance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorin

Rollin' up my sleeves
Registered
Reaction score
I actually just finished an AA fairy tale type romance. It's out being "judged" now. It's takes place in "a desert kingdom" and is based on the 1001 Arabian Nights story, and it's a bit sexed up (because I write erotic romance.)

As I said, it's out to the publishers now and am checking my email every three to four nanoseconds. :)

Ooo, how exciting, Olivia! Do you feel comfortable sharing who you subbed to? Fingers crossed for you!

FoamyRules

Hamtaro Rules
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetigerseye.valentchamber.com
@OliviaDubelle I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. An AA fairytale, that's so cool :)

@Sorin, yeah I've heard great things about Samhain. My only hesitance is that not all of my romances have an HEA or HFN ending to them. The series I'm working on the first book has an HFN, so I'm still contemplating which route I should go. I'd love to hear more about you all's experiences :)

Sorin

Rollin' up my sleeves
Registered
Reaction score
@OliviaDubelle I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. An AA fairytale, that's so cool :)

@Sorin, yeah I've heard great things about Samhain. My only hesitance is that not all of my romances have an HEA or HFN ending to them. The series I'm working on the first book has an HFN, so I'm still contemplating which route I should go. I'd love to hear more about you all's experiences :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the endings (unless it all ends in disaster and is a total bummer LOL). I can't speak for any other pubs, but Samhain's motto is ” It's all about the Story,” and at a panel at RT, Samhain's president said that they really do follow that motto. It's not just lip service. I would imagine that if your story is otherwise great, but your ending needed revising, they might take you on continent upon you making the necessary revisions. That's what happened to me. I subbed and the editor said that she was interested if I would make the revisions she required. In my case it was a few plot points as well as turning up the heat levels on the sex scenes. I made the revisions and she liked them.

I say all of this to say that if a pub sees merit in your work, they will work with you to revise the parts that don't suit their audience. Good luck!

FoamyRules

Hamtaro Rules
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I wouldn't worry too much about the endings (unless it all ends in disaster and is a total bummer LOL). I can't speak for any other pubs, but Samhain's motto is ” It's all about the Story,” and at a panel at RT, Samhain's president said that they really do follow that motto. It's not just lip service. I would imagine that if your story is otherwise great, but your ending needed revising, they might take you on continent upon you making the necessary revisions. That's what happened to me. I subbed and the editor said that she was interested if I would make the revisions she required. In my case it was a few plot points as well as turning up the heat levels on the sex scenes. I made the revisions and she liked them.

I say all of this to say that if a pub sees merit in your work, they will work with you to revise the parts that don't suit their audience. Good luck!
Oh well that's good to know :) I've been working on this series for years (since high school) and believe I finally got it right and if it goes well this will be my first step into publishing.
I am looking forward to reading your story once it comes out.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee

Thanks for saying that. :)

OliviaDuBelle

Registered
Reaction score
Ooo, how exciting, Olivia! Do you feel comfortable sharing who you subbed to? Fingers crossed for you!

I subbed to Ellora's Cave, where I passed the "first round" so that's good. Liquid Silver, Samhain, and Total E Bound.

The waiting is literally making me die a little inside ;). But I'm busy writing yet another. And another. And another.

Last edited:

FoamyRules

Hamtaro Rules
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I subbed to Ellora's Cave, where I passed the "first round" so that's good. Liquid Silver, Samhain, Carina, Musa and Total E Bound.

The waiting is literally making me die a little inside ;). But I'm busy writing yet another. And another. And another.
Congratulations Olivia on passing the first round at Ellora's. Will continue to keep my fingers crossed.
I am wondering is your story AA or IR because I write both :)

Sorin

Rollin' up my sleeves
Registered
Reaction score
I subbed to Ellora's Cave, where I passed the "first round" so that's good. Liquid Silver, Samhain, and Total E Bound.

Those are all great presses! You couldn't go wrong with any of them. Good luck!

OliviaDuBelle

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Olivia on passing the first round at Ellora's. Will continue to keep my fingers crossed.
I am wondering is your story AA or IR because I write both :)

Thanks! This particular story is AA, but I also have an IR published at Evernight under Dahlia DeWinters. "Kitty Wishes" about a shapeshifting cat. Pure fluff, that one. ;)

Thanks everyone, for the support and good wishes. I'll be sure to report back!

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I actually just finished an AA fairy tale type romance. It's out being "judged" now. It's takes place in "a desert kingdom" and is based on the 1001 Arabian Nights story, and it's a bit sexed up (because I write erotic romance.)

As I said, it's out to the publishers now and am checking my email every three to four nanoseconds. :)

WERQ!

Fingers and toes crossed for you! When it comes out,my dollars will be ready!

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
Sorin, congrats on the sale to Samhain. They are at the top of my sub list!

Olivia, good luck on the subs. I love fluffy shifter stories. Thanks for making my TBR list even longer! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.