Advice to a non-sporty who will be writing about sports?

spentastico

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.spencerphelpsdotcom.com
I run a local forum (link in sig), and we recently held a fund raiser to sponsor a Baseball for Youth team in my city. We're currently holding a nomination/vote system to determine the name of "our" team. One of the members is going to coach, we're going to meet up at the games, it's going to be a blast!

On top of that, I'm going to be doing feature articles on the front page of our site about the team we sponsored - the games, the kids, etc. I'm looking forward to that as a great writing side project and a gift to the kids and the BfY program (not that I'm God's gift to writing, but it's what I like to do and a different way I can give to people).

Here's my issue: I'm not really a sports fan! I think it's awesome as heck that we're doing this, and will be excited for our team, will go to the games, etc. I'm just not what you would consider a proper baseball fan. I know how the game works, but I don't have any historical perspective, reference points, etc.

I want to paint the best picture possible for the articles, so I'm wondering if there are any tips I could glean from people who like to write about sports. Are there certain elements that set sports writing apart, or should I just "call it as I see it?"

Would appreciate any advice you could pitch my way.

And GOOOOOOOO [name to be determined]!!! ;)

Mark Jacobs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
re: Advice to a non-sporty

Just like for people writing in any genre, I'd advise someone interested in writing about sports to read the better writers in that genre (Sports Illustrated, The Sporting News or any of the large city daily papers are a good place to start). That being said, unless your website has a huge following, people reading about a kid's baseball game are more likely to be family and friends than hardcore baseball enthusiasts. When I used to cover local sports for a newspaper, they actually cared more about getting in the box score for the game than describing the action on the belief that most people who looked at the story were only interested in seeing their son or daughter's name in print, even if it was just a quick mention.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Please note that the original poster has been banned from AW and won't be returning to this thread.

Since others might find value in this topic, the discussion is welcome to continue without him.