• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Payment processor] PayPal

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
PayPal backs down on its demand that publishers seeking payment through PayPal not be involved in works involving matters that PayPal disapproves of.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's good news, but I feel horrible for the publishers who had to quickly jump through hoops just to remain compliant with Paypal. Idiots. They should stick to what they know and not inject themselves in the publishing business.

Srsly. And if other payment processing sites would get their heads out of their asses and stop imposing restrictions that keep them from competing with PayPal, PayPal wouldn't be able to cripple some sites the way they can/did at the moment (like, entire e-pubs).

Eriador117

Hobbit Botherer
Registered
Reaction score

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Why was I charged Paypal fees?

I'm a bit confused here. So, I have been publishing with several small ebook publishers for 5 years now and have never had this happen until now. Usually when I get my royalties via Paypal, there are no "seller" fees. Tonight, I received royalties from a new-to-me publisher, and was charged "seller" fees.

Why now? Why with this publisher and not with any others?

How am I considered a seller?

It kind of upset me, because those fees = part of what was owed to me for sales. Isn't the publisher supposed to pay those fees to use the Paypal system? Should I contact the publisher or just let it slide?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I'd suggest looking at your contract. If you don't find the answer there then, yes, I'd contact the publisher for clarification. If nothing else, you can determine who gets to claim it as a cost of doing business.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Williebee.

I browsed my contract but saw nothing that would explain why this happened, so I emailed the person in charge of royalties for clarification.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on how the publisher has the transfer set up.
While most have it set up so that the publisher eats this cost, some either don't realize that this happens or do it deliberately.

I don't mind eating those fees especially when I send an invoice to a client, but again I get to deduct that cost on my taxes. So later on it's a win (small one) for me.

Do talk to the publisher. They might not realize that this fee is being taken out. If they are aware of this, then make sure you are able to take this off of your taxes.