50 Shades of Grey trilogy goes from fan fiction to Random House

Status
Not open for further replies.

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
An Olympics news reporter just referenced this book in relation to London's weather. This book just got mentioned during Olympics coverage. Jealousy is now through the roof. Jealous of the astronomical success of a terribly written derivative of an already terribly written highly-successful work.

I think I should give up doing this for art and catharsis and just find the next big thing that will sell and make me an instead a hundred something millionaire--BEFORE the inevitable movie. Sigh.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
...Rhoda is struggling to imagine which part of S&M isn't already DIY? Like, how to make your own handcuffs or something?

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
A second sighting of FSoG in a problem page - lady has fallen in love with Christian Grey and wants some one like him in her life, not her boring hubby (from the letter the problems have been ongoing and this is a reaction)

I have never seen a book cited in a problem page before this book...

If nothing else, the book is really getting under some people's skin. Which is what we want, as writers, surely? Well, okay I don't want to ruin some random woman's marriage...

Kado

Registered
Reaction score
It did? Do you have a link? How did she reference it? It makes no sense. :Wha:

I didn't see it myself but I imagine, that if it's in relation to the weather, it's something along the lines of London and its 50 billion shades of grey skies. Sigh. And yes, I'm jealous too.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I didn't see it myself but I imagine, that if it's in relation to the weather, it's something along the lines of London and its 50 billion shades of grey skies. Sigh. And yes, I'm jealous too.

Even though I have to admit that is cool(to have your book mentioned), the connection between the two is still kind of :Wha: for me. Haha. :ROFL:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
...Rhoda is struggling to imagine which part of S&M isn't already DIY? Like, how to make your own handcuffs or something?

Well, where I come from, you can hire professional spankers.

Not that I have personal experience in such. All my spankers are proud amateurs. Um, that is, they would be if I had any interest in spanking, which of course I don't. The very word is silly!

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score

Pinguicha

Has the cutest cat in the world!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pinguicha.wordpress.com

What? How? Are there that many horny moms?

Brb, letting my cat scratch me to death to see if she can kill me faster than I can drink myself to oblivion.

Ok, a much better reaction:
3cd8a33a.png

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So...

If somebody writes fanfic of 50 Shades of Blah and files off those serial numbers and publishes it, does that mean the universe is going to implode upon itself because of the laws of matter/anti-matter canceling it out?

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
What? How? Are there that many horny moms?
I think a lot of erotica writers would take offense to that for one. And two, word of mouth and publicity(good or bad) can sell a lot of books, and I do mean a lot of books. Whether that word-of-mouth is from friends, online and in "real life", or via sites like GoodReads (you know the whole, "You liked X book, you might also like X". Or "People who liked X, also liked X". Or "Similar Books"). That's just my guess though.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Good! Good for the book trade, good for readers, good for authors. Every book that sells is good for all concerned.

I don't think it's good for authors who do not write in this genre, and who will now have a harder time than ever getting their work sold, because publishers will only have that success as guiding light: it's a trend-governed trade, and woe to you if you are not in trend.

There are many, many well-written, beautiful, original stories which will not be heard because of this. And many willing readers of such stories who won't get to read them.

Good for the publishers concerned, though, and for such readers whose needs are being met. And for authors in that genre, and ff authors. Their day has certainly arrived.

I am just not not convinced this is good for all authors. I feel a momentous turning away from my kind of work. My heart sinks in despair...

But no! There is light at the end of the tunnel! I still believe! I will slog on!

Last edited:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I don't think it's good for authors who do not write in this genre, and who will now have a harder time than ever getting their work sold, because publishers will only have that success as guiding light: it's a trend-governed trade, and woe to you if you are not in trend.

There are many, many well-written, beautiful, original stories which will not be heard because of this. And many willing readers of such stories who won't get to read them.

Good for the publishers concerned, though, and for such readers whose needs are being met. And for authors in that genre, and ff authors. Their day has certainly arrived.

I am just not not convinced this is good for all authors. I feel a momentous turning away from my kind of work. My heart sinks in despair...

Take heart; this is not what I'm seeing.

50 Shades is not, as far as we can tell, displacing other book sales; it's selling to people who haven't picked up a book in years, and carving out a new niche in the market that hadn't previously existed. The phenomenal success of Harry Potter ushered in a golden age of YA - more, and more interesting, debut novels bought and sold. The phenomenal success of Twilight created a new niche, swiftly populated by copycats, but didn't displace anything as far as I can tell - we'd generally look at industry-wide sales figs with Stephanie Meyer taken out, and we'd still be seeing growth in the market. I've never seen a wildly successful book that wasn't good for everyone.

As publishers we love a safe bet, because it provides us with an opportunity for growth - that's why we follow trends. Having extra cash on hand means the ability to make riskier bets. I know nobody ever believes this, in their soul, but us; still, I assure you that the profits from these kinds of books are mainly used to invest in the future. We bought so many debut YA novels last year that I think we were publishing about one a month, and I don't see that altering any time soon, unless the business starts shrinking.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Even though I have to admit that is cool(to have your book mentioned), the connection between the two is still kind of :Wha: for me. Haha. :ROFL:

It sounds like the announcers were grasping at straws trying to show off how aware of pop culture they are. :tongue

50 Shades is not, as far as we can tell, displacing other book sales; it's selling to people who haven't picked up a book in years, and carving out a new niche in the market that hadn't previously existed.

Yeah, I think you're mostly right about this. And given the reaction the book has received, I'm assuming many of its fans are new to BDSM fiction and, very likely, erotica in general. Best case scenario, some of them will now check out other erotica titles.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Already there are strong sales in the second wave - Susan Day (IIRC) is doing very well in the UK market.

Sylvia Day, of Bared to You, also riding high on the NYT list (#7, Ebook; #6, Combined Print & Ebook; #4, Trade Paperback.) Susan Dey, aka Laurie Partridge, aka Grace Van Owen, is probably the mind worm that bit you.

;)

Reaction score
Nearly finished book two. It started off as curiosity and became "I can't believe what I'm reading here."

Book one was bad enough with its cardboard characters and complete lack of storyline and WTF ending.

Book two is where Christian admits he likes to hurt women who look like his mum before he fucks them.

How...Oedipal. :Wha:

There are people who say "It's getting people reading - good!" No, not good. Erotic romance has a bad enough reputation as it is. This will just make things worse.

I really can't believe this shit got published. I mean, I know it was self-published at first so EL James didn't have to answer to anyone, but you'd think Random House would have edited the heck out of it once they picked it up.

It's easy to see how books like this make other writers lose faith. And if one more person says, "Oh, you write dirty books? Like 50 Shades?" I'll punch them in the throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.