Status
Not open for further replies.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Twilight was already pretty badly-written. Now effin' fanfiction, also badly-written, based on this crappy nonsense, has found incredible commercial success.

Just trying to absorb that. Am I wasting my time trying to learn to write well?

lol, Twilight actually got me writing Young Adult, so I can't knock it horribly...I was literary fiction until I devoured it bc of the crazy curse it has over it's readers!

I totally feel yoru pain on how badly written this is & how absolute shit is getting shown insane amounts of money...not to mention that it's the horror of the character of Edward on steroids. Women are worshipping him when he is a domineering, control freak who picks women bc they look like his crackwhore mom. Sure, he has money---money enough to control you further by buying the company you work for.

Eesh...

Juneluv12

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Tell me you're kidding.

:censored:gaah:tmi

lol, trust me, I wish!! All his former subs looked alike ....and they were like his dead crackho mom....

Truly, the ickiest thing possible was him pushing her up against the bathroom sink, snatching out her tampoon, and then going for it....well, of course, the diagloue of him deamnding to now if she was bleeding.

Juneluv12

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
With scenes like that, I pity the screenwriter who has to adapt this for a wider audience.

Yeah, I'm not sure how the Red Room of Pain will transcend. 9 1/2 Weeks used to be considered hard core, and I think fruit was about the raciest thing in that movie...and maybe a blindfold.

Considering the book is like 100 pages of plot...300 pages of sex, I'm not sure how it's going to work at all!!

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com

SafetyDance

L'Oreal. He's worth it.
Registered
Reaction score
Cookie Monster makes it hilarious, but ... that is, honestly, some shitty writing. How the hell is this happening? There are tons of better erotica available.

It's happening like this:

Small Time Author Launch (ie smaller press, e-press, self publisher)

1) Usually, the only people who have previously read the work are a few friends/beta readers, your editor, and maybe your agent and publisher (if you have those). They're the only people who can start telling other people that it's awesome and "spreading the word."

2) If you're lucky, you'll get a few advance reviews. They probably won't all be on high traffic sites.

3) You might arrange a blog tour. Again, this probably won't be on particularly high traffic sites.

4) If you're very lucky, your publisher might advertise you on a website or print venue, or you might even stump up for this yourself. For the majority of small time authors, this doesn't happen.

5) You could do a lot of blogging and networking, but you're an unpublished author, and your main access is to writers, not readers.

Basically: you rely strongly on word of mouth, but like most debut authors, you're starting small.

P2P Author Launch

1) Your work has been on a high-traffic fan fiction site for a reasonable amount of time, where it has gained enough readers for you to think it worth pulling to publish. In some cases, the numbers can be in their mid thousands.

2) When you put your work on sale, a lot of these readers will rush off to buy it. They'll review it on the vendor and on GoodReads. And they'll tell all their friends. It's the promotional equivalent of a ten ton truck crashing into your living room: very hard to pass by. Your inflated Amazon chart listings perpetuate new sales to readers you probably wouldn't have tapped otherwise.

3) P2P fanfic is a controversial subject, so people start talking about your book online. It all creates a buzz.

4) What with all these reviews, reviewers and book bloggers want in. They want to know what the fuss is about. Whether they say good or bad things, they're making the work more visible to the public…all of this is a heck of a lot more promotion and blog space than Small Time Author could hope to get.

(There are authors who post their original fic online to gain an audience before launch. It does work sometimes--I've done case studies--but most often, not to the level of success as Twifics).

Conclusion: Books like this started their "original fiction" lives with a massive leg-up that most smaller time authors can't hope to get, and they got that by using someone else's work to make theirs more appealing. Whether the P2P fanfic is "original" or not, it invoked somebody else's character names for its own benefit and ends up reaping the rewards at the expense of the original fic author, who is slowly pushed further down the Amazon foodchain with every new "successful" P2P. (We could suggest these P2Ps are doing good things for various genres, but a) I don't think we have figures for that yet, b) the above would suggest otherwise, and c) on the "people who bought this also bought" lists, if it's Fifty Shades, they tend to not be buying anything else in the genre, and with other popular Twifics, they seem to be buying other Twifics as much as anything else).

Last edited:

Juneluv12

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
OR

Most of your readers aren't writers, don't care about the quality of the writing, have heard about it word of mouth, and are sucked in by the hype.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
OR

She wrote a compelling (notice I didn't say "good" or "well-written") story that made readers want to grab their friends and say, "You HAVE to read this!." As much as it pains me, I have to give the author credit for writing something that can generate so much word-of-mouth exposure. You can't orchestrate that kind of emotional response among so many readers, even if the book is simply Twilight + Harlequin Presents + BDSM-lite + a heaping dose of WTFery. Heck, I'm tempted to read it now the same way I read Twilight -- to analyze it and figure out what the "it" factor might be. I absolutely hated Twilight, but I did get a sense of what made it so addictive.

Juneluv12

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
OR

She wrote a compelling (notice I didn't say "good" or "well-written") story that made readers want to grab their friends and say, "You HAVE to read this!." As much as it pains me, I have to give the author credit for writing something that can generate so much word-of-mouth exposure. You can't orchestrate that kind of emotional response among so many readers, even if the book is simply Twilight + Harlequin Presents + BDSM-lite + a heaping dose of WTFery. Heck, I'm tempted to read it now the same way I read Twilight -- to analyze it and figure out what the "it" factor might be. I absolutely hated Twilight, but I did get a sense of what made it so addictive.

QFT. Totally.

I read it for pure shock value based on the word of mouth stuff. I'm a follower, and I wanted to know what everyone was talking about--if parts were really that bad, crazy, etc. I'm a curiousity killed the cat kinda person. I will openly admit I read the first book in a day--the entire trilogy in a weekend. It was just like when I read Twilight--I had to know what was going to happen to these people.

I equate my reading to the book like over-eating. In the moment, damn is that food good, and I gotta devour it all. But then after you're done and want to puke, you think, "Gah, what was I thinking?"

Just like with Twilight, I was very reflective after reading...realizing not just the horrific, poorly written prose, but the message it conveyed about relationships.

To quote the book, I'm a vanilla sex person, didn't know anything about BDSM...after awhile I skipped the sex scenes, bc, jeez, they were repetitive. I like plot with my smex, lol. But I'm thinking she did a poor job representing the BDSM world--especially considering Christian's interest is pure psychological about inflicting pain on women bc of the abuse he received as a child....

Not to mention he was 15 when his mom's older friend made him her Sub...

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
P2P Author Launch

1) Your work has been on a high-traffic fan fiction site for a reasonable amount of time, where it has gained enough readers for you to think it worth pulling to publish. In some cases, the numbers can be in their mid thousands.

2) When you put your work on sale, a lot of these readers will rush off to buy it . . . .
See, I'd think that normally, you'd never get from 1) to 2). Because while fanfiction on a fanfiction site is tolerated, as soon as you try to make money from it, that's an actionable copyright infringement.

I'm still not clear on why the Twilight-associated lawyers are allowing this.

Though maybe I'm also not clear on how much the work has been altered from the original Twilight fanfic. Is the guy still even a vampire?

SafetyDance

L'Oreal. He's worth it.
Registered
Reaction score
OR

I agree. But you or I could write a brilliant book and self publish tomorrow, get it up on the same vendors...but if enough people don't ever see it, it just won't catch on the same way. Had James done this, the book might well have faded into obscurity. We'll never know, but we do know that great books flop all the time, commercially speaking.

If this was an isolated P2P case, I'd say it was just one of those things. But there are Twifics in double figures doing very well on Amazon right now. They're not all better than a lot of the erotic/romance genre. They just built an audience where people are prone to fanatical responses, and were better than other stuff in that particular place. (And fanatical responses tend to be self-perpetuating. The publisher I used to work for was very good at selling books through creating a social media buzz, for example. Once some book bloggers got excited, more got excited, etc etc. You need that initial "bud" of excitement sometimes, and P2P is a very effective way of getting it).

ETA: I just saw the rep thing. Thanks. You may well know all of the above already, lol.

Last edited:

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
See, I'd think that normally, you'd never get from 1) to 2). Because while fanfiction on a fanfiction site is tolerated, as soon as you try to make money from it, that's an actionable copyright infringement.

I'm still not clear on why the Twilight-associated lawyers are allowing this.

One of my friends posed that it could be they are just waiting for her to have the money in hand before they strike. :tongue

I suppose it would make sense for them to wait for that--or to be closer to the release of the next Twilight movie so as to put the media spotlight back on that franchise now that Hunger Games and 50SoG have drawn it away to some degree.

Though maybe I'm also not clear on how much the work has been altered from the original Twilight fanfic. Is the guy still even a vampire?

No, he's not. But there are other things that are still much the same. Someone in the comments did a great comparison of what is still like Twilight in Jami Gold's post on the ethics of the situation.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I think this thing has really, really blown up. I was looking at some Submission Guidelines lately, and I'm seeing some stuff about "no fan-fiction, thinly veiled or not, under any circumstances" that I don't remember being there before. I guess they were doing that to prevent something like this from happening again.

This does create some trouble though; it really kind of blurs the lines of inspiration and fan-fiction in my opinion. Simply because if you enjoyed writing a certain couple dynamic or "couple type", not necessarily the one use in Twilight or Fifty, you wrote that dynamic when/if you started with fan-fiction, and now you want to write that certain dynamic again, it might present a problem. Even though your original piece was just based off a certain couple type/dynamic, some people, not everyone, could possibly think of it as fan fiction, couldn't they? Or am I just being too far-fetching?

Ctairo

Why Isn't IGNORE Available in RL?
Registered
Reaction score
I think this thing has really, really blown up. I was looking at some Submission Guidelines lately, and I'm seeing some stuff about "no fan-fiction, thinly veiled or not, under any circumstances" that I don't remember being there before. I guess they were doing that to prevent something like this from happening again.

This does create some trouble though; it really kind of blurs the lines of inspiration and fan-fiction in my opinion. Simply because if you enjoyed writing a certain couple dynamic or "couple type", not necessarily the one use in Twilight or Fifty, you wrote that dynamic when/if you started with fan-fiction, and now you want to write that certain dynamic again, it might present a problem. Even though your original piece was just based off a certain couple type/dynamic, some people, not everyone, could possibly think of it as fan fiction, couldn't they? Or am I just being too far-fetching?
Deep breaths. You're over thinking things. Fifty is problematic for myriad reasons. If you're writing and not posting your work with someone else's characters online as fanfic, why stress?

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score

I've seen submission guidelines similar to that before, particularly for some M/M erotica publishers, which makes sense since there's some overlap between M/M and slash fanfic. So I'd be surprised if it's super new. It's possible that there is an increase in rules like that now. I'm not sure.

In any case, I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as your story isn't online as fanfic, I doubt it would be an issue.

lolchemist

Shooting stars.
Registered
Reaction score
As long as your story isn't online as fanfic, I doubt it would be an issue.

Exactly! If no one can prove that it was ever fanfic because no one has ever seen the fanfic version before (and you've changed it sufficiently enough, ie. none of this hilarious 89% the same stuff!) you should be fine!

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
This is fantastic:

First, a disclaimer. I am a male senior citizen, a semi-retired gynecologist whose customary literary fare is spy novels and military techno-thrillers. I have never read a romance before, except perhaps for junior high's "A Tale of Two Cities" (or was that a classic?) But after the recent hullabaloo over James' "Fifty Shades," I opted to give the genre a glance.

The book's protagonist is college student Anastasia, who has never had sex or even "touched herself." I had to suspend disbelief at the social and sexual naivete of this twenty-one year-old, but I guess this implied vulnerability makes her more attractive as a romantic heroine. Yet it doesn't take her long to rectify this situation, and soon she is having orgasm after orgasm at the behest of her "dominant" partner, Mr. Grey. At my age, my arthritis flared up just reading about Ana's sexual gymnastics.

Status
Not open for further replies.