Teens Writing for Teens, issue 6

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Thatsa okay!

My parents are almost home. I will post again... perhaps right now... and rep y'all in the morning!

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
The Secret Circle is alright. If you're a big Urban Fantasy fan, it's probably up your alley.

It suffers from the same thing every Urban Fantasy does--which is "the author can pull any opponent out of their ass", often resulting in several wasted minutes of exposition required to educate the reader on the rules of engagement for this particular... thing.

It's a setback of the entire genre and the writing wasn't good enough for me to tolerate it (like say, Buffy :D)

Last edited:

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, CIW, there are many Sherlockettes snippets up in the YAWN forum, if you want to check it out.

I'm off to bed!

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Hum... wrote my first sort of "fade to black" scene. Well kind of... anyway uncomfortable-ness over with, now on to less strenuous writing.

ETA: Scratch that, i'm going to bed! I broke 40K, so I'm happy.

Last edited:

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so, so, so sick and I can't talk, but I have to go to school so I can be in Hairspray tonight.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Morning everyone. Sorry your sick Tally.

So apparently the Dean contacted me back. No other choice then to have them not give me a real chemistry degree. This all feels like a slap in the face. All this work and effort and because of ONE course taught by a teacher who is KNOWN for being an asshole who doesn't do his job, and I end up with a degree that says. "Well she studied science but couldn't get a real degree"

So after spending all my families money and taking out loans to go to this damn school I end up with that... That is going to look so wonderful when i look for a job. What's an "Applied Chemistry" degree? Well... its not a real chemistry degree, but its close....

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
So Ill end up being "Almost" qualified for jobs. So i went four years to this shit hole and had a million panic attacks, and and three complete mental breakdowns, To end up with a piece of paper that does and means absolutely nothing. Wonderful.

If i wasn't at work i'd be curled up in a ball sobbing.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, called my mom freaking out. She is going to finally step in and see if she can get them to just wave the course. I mean its one course! One that I ALREADY TOOK!

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Downloading the Hunger Games app onto my iPad now. I wonder what this will be like... ;)

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
have been writing down a huge long list of Last names that I like off a site i found.

I realized that my last names arent that creative and wanted to spice them up a little. But as i did...well now i'm getting SNI for stories and characters... I seriously dont need this right now.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
My last names are never creative. I always use common ones, like Smith or Andrews or something like that.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
A lot of my characters are known primarily by their last names, so I try to pick some good, tough-sounding names. I love my YA UF protagonist's last name, which is Lancaster, like the bomber. :D

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
... I hear Lancaster and say WAR OF THE ROSES MON.

(sorry, I was just talking to some islanders and am thinkin' in a Jamaican accent)

My main characters in my SNI The Winter Princess are Eira, Siani, and Bleddyn Howl.

Then there are my Southern kingdom: Enekai, Haulani, Hekili, and Kalani Sky.

In the East I have Hikari and Masaru Day.

And West, I have Renatus, Liberia, Rosalia and Caelestis Fear.

...THERE IS MEANING BEHIND THESE NAMES I SWEAR.

As for Sherlockettes, the last names are pretty decent. Metzger, Tremblay, Goldberg, Silverstein, Trudeau, Kostopolous.

In MAAH I have James and Aleric.

In TRL I have Hailey Rain, my one true love character. I JUST LOVE HER THE MOST. MY MOST FLAWSOME CHARACTER OF ALL-TIME. I'VE HAD HAILEY SINCE I WAS ELEVEN. MY BABY. HAILEY.

Aaaaaaaaand... other names...

Oh, I had fun with last names in ELEMENTAL! Bloor, Wellsley-Brown, McMurdough, and Elbrooke. Fun fun fun.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
LofF: Medvec, Walsh, Wishnowski, McClennen, Finnigan, and Reynolds. are the MC's at least. Other important characters: Blair, (her last name but she asks like its her first) Anderson, Gravely, Whitaker. Villians & other characters: Thompson, Benson, Allenson, Johnson, (notice the problem with son at the end) DeMarco, Ross, Moore, Montgomery, Litcharts, Henderson, Shepard, Gray, Thell, Leevy, Halloway, Whitt.

TAJ: Meyers, and Tate

UZ: Mason, and Wells.

The name research is mostly for the SNI i have CWII. I wanted cool awesome last names. I'm also trying to figure out a pen-name and thought it would be handy

And see Tally! You do have a character you love above the others! Hence why I love my LotF cast, for I've been with them for so long!

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Right now, for the series idea I mentioned to Ally, my main characters are Jamie Hudson and Andrew Williams.

There's a bunch of supporting characters, though...

That's about it.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
I do! But I don't have a PROJECT I love above the others. I love MAAH and Sherlockettes and DG (dear god I love Dawning Glory so much) as much as I love TRL.

I just love Hailey as a character most.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
that's why i love LotF more because its my fav characters in it. If i could write TAJ or UZ with the LotF characters i would and i'd love them just a much. Its the characters that makes me love that series most.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I do think it's tough to get emotionally invested in new characters. I've scrapped a lot of beginnings because I wasn't feeling it. It's taken me a while to really warm up to the YA UF, but I think we're friends now. :D

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
I never have trouble getting warmed up to characters xD they generally pop out of my head as fully formed human beings. like athena.

eta: I am emotionally invested in every character I have ever thought of :tongue

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Evy was easy to become friends with. Personally I think that if she was the same age as my LotF characters and met them, (she does... but its a long story) Pip might have a different love interest. Matty on the other hand... well I'm still not sure if i can ever forgive him even though Evy did.

I do love Sam and Alex though. Although they would HATE Matty.

I'm really excited about CWII characters. Rose is awesome and Aiden is adorkable! If my other characters were in the same reality, they would all love Aiden, although Rose wouldn't like them probably. I could see her and Jul getting into catty fights. And if LotF's MC's joined GHOST, it would be the true definition of EPICNESS!!!

I also got to write a piece for class for the Second Gen. I always has a soft spot for all those characters. Addy's more of a cocky badass then I intended though, but i guess kids dont always turn out how you plan. hehehehe. Sully, he's just the perfect combo of his parents, and Nate, Finn, and Zoey, but utterly amazing.

I cant wait for Rowan if i ever get to write about him... Maybe for my own personal amusement one day. The first Freakster, (Zoey and Finn's son Half Freak half Monster) GOD i wish i could write about him now.

Last edited:

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
The Weeping Angels are in Amy and Rorys last episode on DW, and according to Karen Gillans twitter "not everyone will get out alive against Weeping Angels in Amy's final episode".

Now I can't wait for the fall of whenever it airs again (I heard it would be the fall...) so I CAN SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

Hopefully this isn't old news, because that was from two hours ago... ;)