Teens Writing for Teens, issue 6

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Third time. Mum does not understand that using other laptops is annoying, especially for writing! The only reason I used other ones the first time was because of coursework.

May use an app on my iPod, ESPECIALLY if I haven't hit 20K. The notebook just ... didn't work. Again, Mum doesn't understand this.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I was reading a blogpost about conflict-less stories (Sent to me by one of my brillio friends)

But the example the blogpost used...had...conflict in it.

If you agree or disagree with this, it's still interesting to read!

http://stilleatingoranges.tumblr.com/post/25153960313/the-significance-of-plot-without-conflict

(The conflict being the lack of soda. The third panel, which the blogger claims is a "non-conflict based twist" is really just a standard plot twist that throws the original conflict into a new light.)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I think from when the laptop goes on Tuesday til when it comes back, I might do a fair bit of DVD watching. For inspiration and fun.

Writing on an app means iPod battery won't last for ages and ages, so... :( But oh well.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
wow i'm not even gone for two whole days and i miss all the conversations. From Braves, to picture, to a whole bunch of other stuff. I swear sometimes you guys wait till I'm not here to be active!

comped

Why Me Worry?
Registered
Reaction score
wow i'm not even gone for two whole days and i miss all the conversations. From Braves, to picture, to a whole bunch of other stuff. I swear sometimes you guys wait till I'm not here to be active!

The only thing you missed was Thal's beautifulness ;)

Had fun swimming with dolphins today! Stingrays tomorrow!

I might be moving to the Caribbean. :) How fun.

comped

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen it, were facebook friends.

Wow comped you sure have a crush on Tally hehehehe.

comped

Why Me Worry?
Registered
Reaction score
Wow comped you sure have a crush on Tally hehehehe.

Where'd you find that out?

And, by the way, here's the opening for my first YA book:

“ALL RISE! The court of the honorable Judge Peter Valjean!” “you may be seated…what do we have here, Joe?”
“Case 10642; People of the United States Versus John T. Reginald”
“How do you plead?”
“not guilty, your honor…”
“of coarse you’re guilty! ‘Tis why I put you in for 4:55 on a Friday afternoon!”
“Your honor- my recommendation for sentencing-“
“no need. Sentence is death! Take him away!”
No one moved.
“I SAID TAKE HIM AWAY! It’s 5 o’clock! Goodbye gentlemen!”
Knowing that the previous conversation, trial, and sentencing, had taken place in 5 minutes, I had no hope for my trial.

pretty good, eh?

comped

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Cayman, but I'm going to boarding school.

Are your parents moving because they want to, then? I can't imagine they'd have a choice of which island if they're moving for work. If your family is in finances, I'm guessing it would be Cayman.

Cayman is... I'm not gonna lie, it is the richest country in the Caribbean, and has the most familiar, Western stuff, as well as one of, if not the only good American school in the Caribbean (all the others are British). It's still a big culture shock from North America, though- and people don't say 'soccer', they say 'football'. :tongue And football is the biggest sport in the world here.

ETA: But richest in the Caribbean doesn't mean much. There is still a lot of poverty here, it just has the most stable economy and nice neighbourhoods.

comped

Why Me Worry?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Cayman, but I'm going to boarding school.

Are your parents moving because they want to, then? I can't imagine they'd have a choice of which island if they're moving for work. If your family is in finances, I'm guessing it would be Cayman.

Cayman is... I'm not gonna lie, it is the richest country in the Caribbean, and has the most familiar, Western stuff, as well as one of, if not the only good American school in the Caribbean (all the others are British). It's still a big culture shock from North America, though- and people don't say 'soccer', they say 'football'. :tongue And football is the biggest sport in the world here.

ETA: But richest in the Caribbean doesn't mean much. There is still a lot of poverty here, it just has the most stable economy and nice neighbourhoods.

We have a choice. (dad's current company lost their job in our area (it's not finances), and we're getting a choice of where to move from them.) I lol'd at the british part- since I'm Canadian by birth- so my parents would like it there. I know a guy who plays on a rather important soccer team who goes to my school. Pretty good guy. I'll pull for Caymen then. (who knows, we may meet someday? :) )

comped

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Not Cay-MEN, Cay-MAN. This is important because it is a weird word and the emphasis is on the MAN, which is pronounced like the word 'man'. The locals get very touchy if you pronounce it Caymen. (so do I :tongue )

The country is 10% Canadian, actually. Second highest number of expats, right behind Brits.

If you guys do decide to move here and have any questions (schools, places to live, etc. etc.) PM me anytime.