Teens Writing for Teens, issue 6

goddessofthehunt

Queen of inane tangents.
Registered
Reaction score
I used to like pepperoni, and then I realized I hated spiciness more.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Whenever I went over to my sister's house as a kid, I asked for chicken nuggets. Every time. Thankfully I've outgrown that. My tastes have branched out a lot as I've gotten older.

My roommate can be very picky and it drives me insane because if there's nothing available to her liking, she'll barely eat. She's used to getting awesome home-cooked meals back home, whereas I eat better up here than I ever do at home.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
As a kid I lived on only three things 1) Pizza 2) grill cheese 3) Mac and cheese

As a teen I started to like slightly more: chicken alfrado, pizza, mashed potatoes, and bacon cheeseburgers (my friends would always make fun of me when we went out to eat because no matter where i was i always got a bacon cheeseburger with nothing on it)

Now... well put Meat cheese and bread together and i'll eat it.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I can't hear the term 'picky eater' without getting incredibly angry, because my sister is the pickiest eater ever, and it is incredibly frustrating and embarrassing and she has screaming fits when she doesn't like the food. There are entire countries we haven't been able to go to because she won't eat anything- and yes, I say won't, because if you need to eat, I believe that barring allergy or rotten food, you can choose to eat anything.

Basically, I think that everyone should be able to find SOMETHING at a restaurant, and if you can't, to not make everyone else's life difficult because of it.

(A big part of the reason I'm going to boarding school is because it's impossible to live with my sister.)

So, basically, the term 'picky eater' to me signifies a CHOICE to be difficult.

For people who just happen to not like a number of foods (and acknowledge that it's their personal tastes, not a fundamental flaw with the food and anyone who would ever go near it ever) I use the term "unadventurous eater".

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys, :)

Does anyone know when news of the HG movie started circulating? I need it for coursework.

I have ideas for ED and SK, but I have no idea what I'm going to work on later...

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Um... people were talking about it probably from the time the book hit the NYT bestseller list. There was 'news' of it before anything had ever actually happened.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
OK. I was wondering.

My laptop switched itself off ... when I was doing nothing. Just staring at FB.

I might make my avvie a picture of Lea Michele. <3

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
My brother is a really picky eater--if he realizes what's in the food. If he doesn't know, he eats it. As for me... I'm just not a big fan of most fish--unless it's super fresh. Off the top of my head I can't really think of anything else I don't like much. Oh, take that back. Split pea soup makes me sick. But other than that I'm good. And I *love* trying new foods. I may not necessarily like them once I've tried them, but it's fun to try.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really like fish either. Catfish is my favorite, but I'll eat cod. Part of it is my mom used to make tilapia and every time I ate it, I would feel sick afterward. So I'm wary of fish I've never had before.

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite is swordfish. ...At least, the one time I had it I *LOVED* it. It was in a pomegranate sauce, and was super fresh, and it tasted amazing. :)

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
My sister barely eats any food, ever. And a lot of the time she does it just to be difficult.

Example: Every time she has eaten ribs, she's LOVED them, but she still refuses to eat them and kicks up a huge fuss about them even being on the table.

I eat lots of fish in SUSHI (greatest food evur)

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah its much much longer then a second, and can make a picky eater sick. Why suffer though eating?

OH that explains some stuff!

Where I'm from, people like that are referred to as 'supertasters' or some variety. It means your taste buds (or whatever is in your mouth) are so sensitive certain foods and textures can make a person gag.

Where I am from, a picky eater exclusively means "someone who chooses to be difficult about food". That's why I hate picky people about anything- where I'm from, "picky" ALWAYS means "choosing to be difficult and to make other people's lives difficult".

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I remember those heady days. Nine unsuccessful interviews later ... :rolleyes:

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats HR! Job-hunting is ridic stressful but one of those necessities of life.

And Para, I am writing! Got 1k down and charging onward. :D

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
That's Awesome Zoom!!! Little Nieces and nephews are awesome. I technically used to have two nephews, they were Wills, and i loved them like they were my own... sadly doubt i'll ever see them again...

Funny how that's the most depressing part of the break up now. My wall used to be filled with pictures of them, they are so adorable, but I took them all down and put them in Will's things when i was packing up. (but i kept one!) Sadly Zack's 4th birthday is coming up... kind of wanted to send a gift, but feel that would be an awkward weird thing to do. I'm going to miss them.

It kind of sucks, unless i marry someone with a brother or sister with kids... I'll never be an Aunt. The burden of being an Only Child.

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome Zoom!!!!! I've never been a blood-aunt, but my bf has a niece and nephew I'm pretty close to. His nephew in particular I really get along with; he's this very quiet but insanely smart kid who'll just sit next to me quietly while we both do our own thing (impressive considering he's 6).

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
OH that explains some stuff!

Where I'm from, people like that are referred to as 'supertasters' or some variety. It means your taste buds (or whatever is in your mouth) are so sensitive certain foods and textures can make a person gag.

Where I am from, a picky eater exclusively means "someone who chooses to be difficult about food". That's why I hate picky people about anything- where I'm from, "picky" ALWAYS means "choosing to be difficult and to make other people's lives difficult".

Supertasters? huh, and yes taste buds would be the problem. Want to know something really freaky and weird about me my doctor cant even figure out? I cant drink water. Why? Because to me it tastes like blood.
I'll elaborate. You know how blood tastes like rusty metal? Well apparently no matter how filtered the water is, i can taste metal ions in it and to me therefore water tastes like blood. My doctor thinks its fascinating, to me its a freaking pain in the ass.

And i see you have some issues with your sister and her food choices, but maybe she just really doesn't like the food. Personally i feel being a picky eater is a real horrible burden, unless you are one, its horribly hard to understand just how difficult it is to go out to eat at certain places. Like for me, (not that i like expensive places to begin with) but they at fancy places they ALWAYS have to make food extravagant with lots of weird ingredients stuff doesn't need but to everyone else tastes wonderful, but to me its uneatable.

Like the other weekend. For Easter my family went out for a stake dinner. We ordered what we thought was just this type of three cheese bread. Turns out the bread had raisins in it. So i tired picking them out... but i could still taste them in the bread and couldn't eat it. Then out stake came with some kind of mushroom side stuff... and (as childish as this sounds) it was touching my potatoes, so i couldn't have half my potatoes.

Honestly i wish i did like more stuff just dont, and when i was younger i would get really upset when i went out places and had to suffer through only being able to eat half my meal, or asking for things plain and technically getting less food, or having them mess it up add something on anyway and then me not be able to eat it. Maybe your sister isn't just being difficult maybe she just really doesn't like it?

It can really drive a person mad! One time i was in London. It was my second day there. And I hadn't been able to eat the day before because of all the running around to get to the hotel and such. And that morning Will and our friends decided to go off for breakfast without asking me (I was so pissed) anyway Lunch finally comes and we go off to this small cafe place. I get a cheeseburger like usual, which i asked for plain, only i didnt know if that means something different over there but it came out with ketchup and mayo on it. i tried to eat around it but couldn't... so I just lied and said my eyes were bigger then my stomach, and waited for Dinner. Sadly dinner was at this banquet place our whole school had to go too.. and my stupid school decided "I bet there are probably as many vegetarians as non-vegetarians so lets order the same amount of food for both." Sadly that wasn't the case and they had this like table order thing and i was at the last table, so i only had the choice of vegetarian lasagna.

IT was a day from hell!!!! Point of my long rant is maybe you shouldn't be so hard on your sister? Unless she is just doing it for attention or something. But being a picky eater is actually a real burden.

Last edited:

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Zoom!

Ally - I'm an only child too so I won't get a chance to be an aunt either.

I know i remember i was about 8 when i realized that for the first time and actually started crying...

Although i think i got my hopes up too much. my ex's nephews were trained to call me Aunt Ally, since i knew them and played with them and was always around them since birth. There parents called me the Baby whisperer, because i was Zack's favorite person in the world. (Like i'm not lying this kid was so adorable! He would always freak out every time he saw me and take me by the finger and make me play with him for HOURS!) One time he even said "No i'm leaving with Ally!" Sebby didnt like me as much, but that was ok, i was sure he would eventually... sadly that's not going to be the case now.

Keagerz

He Who Plays With Dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keagerz.livejournal.com
I am working on writing down all about my characters! Hooray! They've been opening up to me more lately, so I am taking this advantage to write down everything they tell me. >.>; Yes I sound crazy, but to me, my characters might as well be living, organic, breathing people who just happen to use my head as a posh hotel or apartment of some sort.

And awww congrats Zoom! I want to be an uncle one day! :eek: Hopefully my sister will accept and get used to me being transgender before she has kids. XD But right now she's only 26 and is single so I still have time to work on her.

Anyway, Hello everyone!

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
I'm not a huge fan of kids anyways so I don't really mind not ever being an aunt. *shrugs*

I think I'm going to try to get some writing done. This is the only free time I have. I wanted to spend the weekend writing but I'm going out of town.