Teens Writing for Teens, issue 6

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I can't decide whether to write Sherlockettes in first person or third person and it's REALLY BOTHERING ME.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
That's nice, but I'm not really asking for someone to tell me, I'm just letting you know. I'll write in whatever ends up feeling best, which may well be first person.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I like your close third, if that helps.

So... what happens to a woman's name after marrige in Quebec? It stays the same? Or can it be changed at all?

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
...it stays the same.

Or, many people hyphenate their name with their husband/wife. And commonwealth marriages are very common in Quebec.

My mother changed her last name in Ontario because people gave her shit crossing the border with a child with a different last name, but in Quebec all her legal documents have her maiden name.

I, personally, am not a fan of a woman changing her last name (because I always ask why? Why is it expected for a woman to change a part of her identity for a man? Why does the man never change his name? Or, best of all, why don't we all keep the same name or just hyphenate? Hyphenating is fun!) but I know other people are.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
That's nice, but I'm not really asking for someone to tell me, I'm just letting you know. I'll write in whatever ends up feeling best, which may well be first person.

I was just suggesting it, and then simply stating that I preferred to write in third person. I wasn't intending to have you decide based on what I said.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
So, I have finished typing up Carla's character profile. All I need to do now is find an ideal actor and insert a picture into the document, and then it shall be ready to print out and put on the wall. :)

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Tally, when I can't decide what person to write it in, I just start writing and then whichever one I use the most is the one I write in. I switch a lot either way.

I want to change my last name when I get married but that's just because I'm not particularly fond of it. I would hyphenate but my last name is pretty dang long already and it doesn't need to be any longer.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Really? I LOVE your last name.

Yeah, I've been trying that, but, like, I dunno.

ETA: Thing is, I'm not switching POVs, so I don't know if I can write 3rd person Sophie for that long without making her hollow. Because I'm really good at writing 3rd person seriously-messed-up-strange-and-borderline-sociopathic characters, not so much people who are pretty together.

Sophie's pretty together.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'll probably change mine because it's my dad's name and... I don't like him very much, let's put it that way.

Plus, it causes annoyance all the time.

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
My English teacher says that the reason why women take their husband's name because back in the old days they were considered property. It's also why the father is the one to walk the bride down the aisle. It symbolizes the father giving his 'property' away to another man or something like that.

I don't have my father's last name. My parents (thankfully) never got married so...yeah.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Well, yeah, the prologue is third person, it's of an event the MCs are not implicated in.

I'll probably end up in third, but like, I dunno.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Mine never got married, but I still have my dad's name. He was very fussy about that apperently.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
WE MUST REVIVE IT.

What are we all doing? I'm starting Matthew's character profile and watching TV. Looking forwards to Vampire Diaries later.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm going with third person.

The Ho Yay page on TV Tropes would be so long for this book.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Ho Yay? *goes to investigate*

ETA: THAT IS SO A TROPE IN SHERLOCK HOLMES. ANY VERSION.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Harry Potter has its own Ho Yay page. I cannot even...

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
BG- oh, are you going to change your last name when you get married?

Yeah, I'm planning on it. I'd feel really weird having a different last name than the guy I marry. Besides which, it's not like I'm giving up on my family, or their name. I'm just adding his to it. ...On top of that, my last name isn't even my dad's family's last name. It's his step-dad's.

ETA Really late response, I know. I was working on a project I started a while ago to give to a friend of mine.

And... I never realized something until just now that I find rather amusing. In Pirates (which I'm not really a fan of) it has this exchange between Will and Jack:
That's not true. I am not obsessed with treasure.
Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.
I have to love that. Will = Orlando Bloom = Legolas, and in Fellowship there's the poem that starts with "All that is gold does not glitter..." :D

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Nina Dobrev has the right looks to play Carla, but I don't know personality wise...

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I have no desire to get married (unless I meet a particularly cute lady friend) but it's hard to justify the tradition of a woman taking her husband's name. It's incredibly patriarchal. I've also begun to have strong feelings about the titles Mrs and Miss, which are solely designed to tell people which male relative currently owns you, your father or your husband.